Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185972 - 06/27/14 12:10 PM Im in "Hammock Bliss"
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
My new hammock showed up yesterday. Hoping to have my new 10 x 12 egret tarp show up today. My hiking partner has used his several times and sleeps better than ever. I laid in it last weekend for a half hour and could easily see why. If all goes well Ill be saving at least 4# by ridding my pack of a BA insulated mattress and 2 person tent. Not to mention lots of space in my pack. Im excited to get back out and try it for a whole night.

#185973 - 06/27/14 12:49 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Love hammocks, even while they present challenges.

Do share your setup once you get it dialed, especially under-insulation.

Cheers,

#185974 - 06/27/14 01:04 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: Rick_D]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

I plan to set it up in the yard complete tonite Rick. Ill snap a pic and post it. My plan is to use my 5/8" foam pad inside with a single satin sheet over that so I don't stick to it. I have a 15 and 40 degree bag that should cover any type of weather I get into. Im also going to play around with figure 9 hooks to eliminate any knots or straps.

#185975 - 06/27/14 01:04 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Welcome to the club! Once I started using a hammock I sold my tent...and I hardly ever sell old gear. I knew I'd never sleep on the ground again.

#185976 - 06/27/14 01:31 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

I must admit comfort is my main goal, no inflatables is my other. Although BA was splendid to work with, 2 flat mattress' in 3 trips was enough to prompt me to start finding a better way. I believe I have.

#185977 - 06/27/14 01:49 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Congrats on trying the bear burrito! I jumped to a Hennessy Explorer Asym last year and have used it about 50/50 with the tents (the girls prefer having me crash in the tent with them). Even when I'm not using it for sleep I take it and an Eno singlenest for relaxing lake-side.

You didn't mention what kind of hammock rig you bought but virtually all of them benefit from a conversion to Whoopie Slings. (Yes, a screwed up name for a VERY good product). It doesn't require any knots or figure-9's, etc. It has it's own strap that only goes around the tree (connects to itself by a lightweight climbing carabiner, replaces the ones on your hammock, weighs next to nothing, and is completely adjustable in seconds. A lot of people make them themselves though I just ordered mine from http://www.whoopieslings.com/

Another perk is that you can get two different colors for the slings themselves. I chose to go black for the foot side and light grey for the head side as my hammock has snake-skins and a single-sided zip. It makes it much easier to know when I'm going to rig the hammock which side the zipper is on so I can set it up without even having to slide the snake skins back. Very easy and efficient and should work the same on any hammock.

Enjoy the new set-up and I'm curious to see which one you got. smile

(Btw, I will be happy to e-mail pics of my set-up if you are interested as this forum doesn't allow me to just upload an image)

#185978 - 06/27/14 01:54 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: AdventureMyk]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Hammock Bliss is the name of my rig. They have a very cool video series on their website showing tips and tricks.

I like ultra simplicity, seems that strap system fits that bill nicely. Thanks for the heads up.

Bear burrito, I like that! I hike northern Michigan. Mosquitos and chipmunks are about as dangerous of game as we run into.

#185980 - 06/27/14 03:47 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are bears up there, at least in the UP! Just don't keep food in the hammock with you. Although when I've been there, the main problem was raccoons.

#185981 - 06/27/14 04:15 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
BTTB Offline

Im wanting to try a hammock. Im a big guy though. Not tall, just heavy at 250lbs. any recommendations for a hammock?

#185983 - 06/27/14 05:25 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: BTTB]
AdventureMyk Offline

BTTB, the Hennessy site lists them by length and weight capacity. Another couple to look at for serious hammock camping are the war bonnet series and the clarke jungle hammocks. The prices vary so it doesn't hurt to do some homework then scout around on Craigs List. I see a lot of the Hennessy and War bonnets come up but usually the shorter ones. I'm 6'2 and like the extra length.

Pearl, just checked the website and I like what I see on the Hammock Bliss. I didn't see a weight rating but it did list using 700+lb climbing ropes. That might help BTTB as well. Thanks for sharing the info. New brands are welcome!

Edited by AdventureMyk (06/27/14 05:28 PM)

#185985 - 06/28/14 07:50 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: AdventureMyk]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

My hammock is rated for #250. The owner said they rate them at #250, but put five full grown adults in them with no problems. The ropes are plenty heavy. The no see-um mesh is rip proof. Unless you cut it, it wont rip or tear. I set it up complete last night. My 5/8 foam pad idea isn't for me. I will just use my sleeping bag for now. As it cools down Ill start looking for a quilt perhaps.

Attachments
IMG_20140627_171108_827.jpg

IMG_20140627_171119_478 (1).jpg

IMG_20140627_171129_299.jpg

Edited by PEARL DRUMS (06/28/14 08:02 AM)

#185986 - 06/28/14 09:57 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
AdventureMyk Offline

The main thing I can see the foam pad for is if it starts to get chilly it would be a better insulator under the sleeping bag than nothing at all. In the Hennessy I notice that there are a few pressure points where my bag will compress and leave some nasty cold spots. The upper parts of the shoulder, butt, and heels are the worst. When the disposable income permits an underquilt is on the list!

#185988 - 06/28/14 10:47 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: AdventureMyk]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

After further thought, I came up with a possible plan. This hammock is reversible and when I lay in it that way the bug screen pulls right up to the bottom. I could stuff a quilt or pad in that area between the screen and hammock. That may be the ticket.

#185989 - 06/28/14 11:56 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
AdventureMyk Offline

That sounds awesome! Toss it up in your back yard and give it a try. If you can find a way to throw up some pics even better!

#186001 - 06/30/14 08:46 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: AdventureMyk]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
Originally Posted By AdventureMyk
BTTB, the Hennessy site lists them by length and weight capacity. Another couple to look at for serious hammock camping are the war bonnet series and the clarke jungle hammocks. The prices vary so it doesn't hurt to do some homework then scout around on Craigs List. I see a lot of the Hennessy and War bonnets come up but usually the shorter ones. I'm 6'2 and like the extra length.

I'll throw in my .02 on the Clark. I'm 6', 180 and have more than enough room. Great all-in-one design, with permanently attached (but fully un-zippable) bug netting, and a detachable sil nylon fly.

Specs listed on my model have a "maximum" rating of 700 lbs., but a "comfort/safety" limit of 250. I have this model, with the XL rainfly upgrade: http://www.junglehammock.com/product/camo-tropical-ultra/

#186143 - 07/14/14 10:40 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: Blue_Ridge_Ninja]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

I decided to make my own tree straps. I had a 200' roll of 1" wide extra heavy nylon webbing. I used some to pull on a HUGE basswood I cut down and it didn't budge, so Im sure it will hold my #200. I made each one 8' long with loops on each end. The loops where made by pushing a hot nail through to create two holes per loop. Then I used heavy duty rivets and fender washers to secure the loop. Worked like a charm and cost me ZIPPO! I like that part best. The set might weigh in the 1 - 1.5 pound range?

#186311 - 07/28/14 08:02 AM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

I finally got a chance to use this on the trail. WOW! Best nights of sleep Ive ever had backpacking. It didn't seem to matter which way I turned, I was always comfy. I woke up with no stiff muscles or joints. Made me feel 20 again!

I used a Thermarest Ridge mat inside and a 40 deg bag on top. Heaven on a bun!

#186989 - 09/04/14 11:07 PM Re: Im in "Hammock Bliss" [Re: PEARL DRUMS]
laschke Offline

Congrats! Hammocks are what I love to try to convince people to get. I love using them and there are so many benefits if you use them in forested areas. I run a site, www.backpackhammocks.com that reviews a quite a few of them. Hopefully I don't get banned for sharing my site, just thought this was a relevant topic and would share! grin

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum