Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184935 - 05/07/14 07:07 PM Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question...
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
has been asked, but i haven't seen any threads that answer the question enough for me to make a decision. As it stands, the last piece of gear I feel I need is a water filtration device. I spent over an hour at Cabela's today speaking with a seasoned gentleman that claims to have completed the AT in sections - therefore validating (in my mind) his ability to advise on filters. He recommended a Camelbak sterilization bottle over the various Katahdin options. I walked in the door looking to purchase the Platypus Gravity Works 4.0 filter system because I AM LAZY and I really like the idea of not having to pump my water. However, after speaking to the Cabelas worker, I was more confused than when I walked in.

So I pose the question - without spending $300 on a filter system, what are the options to consider and which systems do you recommend the most?

SIDE NOTE: I will be using this filter on multi-day hiking and kayaking trips.

#184936 - 05/07/14 07:35 PM Water filter or water treatment? [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
You asked about filters... are you open to other types of treatment?

I use a steripen and am very happy with it. The thing is super lightweight and treats water in about 1.5 minutes. The first ones they came out with didn't work very well but recent models seem pretty reliable. Let me know if you have any questions about it.

In terms of filters a lot of people seem to like the sawyer gravity (or squeeze) systems. I've never used one, but it is the most common one I hear about.

I have used an MSR miniworks multiple times and its a nice filter and works well. It is good for reaching down to hard to access water.

#184939 - 05/07/14 08:19 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By dylansdad77
has been asked, but i haven't seen any threads that answer the question enough for me to make a decision. As it stands, the last piece of gear I feel I need is a water filtration device. I spent over an hour at Cabela's today speaking with a seasoned gentleman that claims to have completed the AT in sections - therefore validating (in my mind) his ability to advise on filters. He recommended a Camelbak sterilization bottle over the various Katahdin options. I walked in the door looking to purchase the Platypus Gravity Works 4.0 filter system because I AM LAZY and I really like the idea of not having to pump my water. However, after speaking to the Cabelas worker, I was more confused than when I walked in.

So I pose the question - without spending $300 on a filter system, what are the options to consider and which systems do you recommend the most?

SIDE NOTE: I will be using this filter on multi-day hiking and kayaking trips.

I have a Katahdin Vario pump filter and a Sawyer Squeeze. See my thread in this section about my Sawyer, other than that minor draw back, I'm still going continue using it. I guess if you don't want a pump filter, look at various of gravity filters and the Sawyer filters. So far, the reason I haven't splurge on a gravity filter is, well, most of the hydration sack are pretty darn big. I filter water for myself, so the Sawyer is fastest and lightest option. Maybe one day I'll get a gravity filter when I have a significance other to hike with me. The Sawyer Squeeze is a good filter, it just has a lot of maintenance which you will see in my thread.

P.S. What exactly are you confused by? I never use a water bottle with a filter built into it, not sure if I like that. Everyone has personal preferences, long as the filter isn't bulky and can filter enough microbes without getting me sick, it's golden!!! smile

Edited by ETSU Pride (05/07/14 08:24 PM)

#184947 - 05/07/14 09:50 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Katadyn (for water filters), not Katahdin (the mountain).

You can rig up a gravity system using almost any kind of filter. I've done it with a Katadyn Hiker Pro replacement filter and with a Sawyer, using existing water bladders and tubing from US Plastic. The info I used can be found here, in the posts by "obxhiker."

I gave up pumps long ago--they take a long time and I always put my back out bending over the water source.

Like ETSU, I've had serious problems with the Sawyer filter clogging. Check it the night before you leave for a trip and backflush if it isn't working. Backflush and then use a bleach solution after every trip, as in their directions for storage.

For a group, I'd suggest a gravity system. For solo trips, the Sawyer Squeeze or Mini. Take some Katadyn or Aqua Mira tablets (chlorine dioxide) for backup, no matter what system you use.

I would never consider Cabela's a source for lightweight backpacking gear. Well, maybe fishing tackle, but it is a hunter/fisherman store, not a backpacking store. Just because one person has done a long distance trail doesn't make him/her an expert. Here are a few more informative sources about the kinds of systems available, although do note that they are trying to sell you the stuff:

Outdoorgearlab.com

REI

Finally, the most authoritative sources are standard medical resources such as The Centers for Disease Control and the Mayo Clinic.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/07/14 09:52 PM)

#184978 - 05/09/14 08:34 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
dylansdad77 Offline

thanks to you for responding! I dont see myself taking any extended backcountry trips alone - there is usually at least 1 other if not several fellow hikers/paddlers with me. For this reason (and the aforementioned laziness) i have been leaning towards the gravity fed systems. Perhaps I will end up getting a Sawyer for the smaller, solo trips and have the platypus for the bigger trips. Either way, thanks for the help.

#184980 - 05/09/14 09:32 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
H2oBoy Offline

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Sorry, I just noticed your thread. I don't know if you are still looking for filter ideas, but I'll send one your way.
I love having a gravity filter system at base camp. I fill it up and have clean water 'on tap'. These systems are simple, robust, customizable, and easy to clean (I backflush mine by turning the filter around so the water flows backwards).

There is a great video by Smokeeater908 on YouTube that shows how he made his.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDN1aXaTLKA

I did mine pretty similarly, I put the filter further down the hose so that I had plenty of head pressure pushing the water through, and I added a bit of hose (~1.5") inside the bag with a sponge to act as a pre-filter. I also installed some QD fittings into the bag, the end of the tube, and my hydration tube... this lets me run it straight out into a cup or plug it into the hydration bladder for no-hassle refills.
http://www.colder.com/Tabid/72/MaterialID/1/cID/5/Products.aspx

The two filters I would look at would be the Sawyer Mini and the Rapid Pure Scout. Rapid Pure is kind of confusing as far as what you are getting... you would need the filter and the clear plastic housing only.
http://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Best-Hydra...tinfo/W-R-MINI/

This system is pretty inexpensive to make and lets you determine how large a supply you want available.
I can still use the filter as a 'drink-through' when I'm going ultra-light too.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Edited by H2oBoy (05/09/14 09:35 AM)

#184987 - 05/09/14 01:03 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I don't think you'll find a lot of consensus on this topic. I mostly use Aqua Mira drops, and am happy with that. My sort of "immediate circle" of long distance hiking friends mostly (all?) do the same --- treat chemically, and don't treat if the source looks good (typically at a spring or occasionally fresh snowmelt near the source).

#184991 - 05/09/14 01:47 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Not sure I have run into a Walter on my bp trips so do not feel a need for a Walter filter. They must not be very plentiful or an issue here in the Sierra or southern Cascades. Seems they could easily be left alone.
Duane

#184993 - 05/09/14 02:17 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: hikerduane]

lol

On the other hand, I find myself making more typos as the years go by. Thought outrunning the fingers?

#185002 - 05/09/14 08:04 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Mostly now, I go for weekends or long weekends - three nights and four days are about it. I've never had any problems with the Sawyer Squeeze or Playtpus Gravityworks (or its sister-company clone, MSR Autoflow); they're easy and light, and reasonably maintenance free. I'm not a fan of the MSR Hyperflow, though. The Katadyn Minifilter was also problematic. Between the Squeeze and Gravityworks, I'd probably choose the Gravityworks because it backflushes easily and the "dirty" bag opening makes it easier to scoop water from shallow sources (very difficult, going on impossible, with the Sawyer bags.)

For a longer trip, I wouldn't even hesitate, though: I'd grab my trusty MSR Miniworks. Yes, it's heavy, and it has to be pumped, but it's absolutely bombproof in my experience, and it's easy to maintain in the field.

The one feature I'd insist on is the ability to directly connect the "clean" container - that turns a three-handed juggling act into a two-handed operation. It's also nice if the outlet spout is protected from contamination by some sort of cover (The Miniworks excels in both features, with the Gravityworks a close second.)

One of the nicest features of the Squeeze: no hoses. And, you can use a "tornado tube" (go into any teachers' supply store and they'll know exactly what you need) to direct connect the clean and dirty bottles to the filter.

My opinions don't always line up with the majority - but, then, I'm not married to any of these other folks, so it's not important that they do so... smile

#185025 - 05/12/14 10:18 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
nate99 Offline

Loc: Denver Colorado
Have you looked into chemical treatment?

I am currently using AquaMaria chemical treatment which comes in handy little bottles 'A' and 'B'. Treats the water instantly with little aftertaste. As for pumps I'm totally lost.
-Nate

#185037 - 05/12/14 06:30 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: nate99]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By nate99
...Treats the water instantly ...
-Nate

Aquamira does not treat the water instantly. The directions I found online indicate to let the chemical react together for 5 minutes, then treat clear water for 15 minutes and 30 minutes if the water is cold or murky... 20-35 minutes to treat water with aquamira.

#185040 - 05/12/14 07:04 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: BZH]

If you read the label carefully, you'll note that Aquamira is to treat bacteria and viruses. If you want to zap protozoan cysts (giardia and crypto), you need a bigger dose and longer treatment time. Read the label (EPA regulated), not the website!

BTW, you will find more on water filters in the Backcountry Gadgets and Backcountry Health and Safety sections.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/14 07:08 PM)

#185101 - 05/14/14 10:41 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: nate99]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By nate99
Have you looked into chemical treatment?

I am currently using AquaMaria chemical treatment which comes in handy little bottles 'A' and 'B'. Treats the water instantly with little aftertaste. As for pumps I'm totally lost.
-Nate

Aquamira Liquid is not intended for our needs as backpackers. The only liquid solution I know of that is a purifier is what is made by the MSR Miox.

All one has to do is look at the Aquamira site to see the difference: “When used as directed, Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets meet the EPA guidelines for Microbiological Water Purifiers making it the safest solution on the market.” But for the liquid, Aquamira makes the following claim, “Aquamira Water Treatment treats drinking water using chlorine dioxide to kill bacteria, control the build up of slime and improve the taste of stored water.” It is only designed to ensure that already potable water remains such. That is not what backpackers are trying to accomplish.

According to the site, "Recently Aquamira procured the EPA registration for the base chemical from the supplier and we are now in the process of submitting our own label with appropriate claims to the EPA. This is a lengthy process, and requires every claim to be backed up with test data. Some of the data was not available from the bulk supplier and must be supplied by Aquamira. We expect this process to take up to a year from now to complete." It has been about three years since Aquamira's prediction as to when the process would be complete, which is three times the amount of time at the longest. Yet still no EPA registration.

What is clear is that the drops have not been registered with the EPA (unlike the tablets) and, as such, their efficacy for killing the nasties to EPA requirements is unproven. As such, why trust an unproven product that is not marketed for backpackers' uses? That is not a risk that I am willing to take given the plethora of reasonable alternatives available. I don't mind people buying the liquid, but only as long as their eyes are wide open to its limitations.

I think that anyone that recommends AquaMira liquid without noting its limitations is doing a disservice to our fellow backpackers. YMMV

#185109 - 05/15/14 02:11 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: ndsol]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"Aquamira Liquid is not intended for our needs as backpackers."

This is a very tough topic to discuss, one I find a bit like the metaphor of a group of visually impaired people encountering a pachyderm, with each describing it as a different creature.

I won't argue with the specific details here, but just empirically, many many people have a whole lot of experience at using Aqua Mira drops as their only water treatment with little in the way of ill effects. It's the only treatment that I use, but of course I use it in combination with some experience and common sense. I.e., I don't use it exactly the same way in every situation. Sometimes I don't use it at all, whereas in other cases I'll double the dose and/or treatment time.

Given that (a) there are differing things that can get you (giardia, crypto, etc), (b) there's typically a 1 to 3 week lag until the effects show up of drinking "bad" water, so that it's tough to really know what it is that got you if you do get ill, and (c) that we each have a differing collection of gut flora living in us that do a differing job of protecting us from bad stuff we ingest ... it's really perilous I think to make grand sweeping statements that won't be challenged on some level.

So the only statement I'm comfortable making here is that I've got a whole lot of miles under my belt with A.M. drops as my only water treatment, and I know several people with similar levels of experience who do the same, and we're all still comfortable and content using A.M. drops as our only treatment option going forward.

#185110 - 05/15/14 05:44 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]

Just to follow up on my comment on your original post that a single thru-hike doesn't necessarily make one an expert (tnis does not refer to you, Brian, since you're most definitely an expert with a wide variety of experience!), I ran into this post today:
Article by Paul Magnati.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/15/14 05:49 PM)

#185122 - 05/16/14 11:06 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
dylansdad77 Offline

Well, I am not keen on the idea of chemical treatment. I much prefer filtering so I am sticking with that. Thanks all for responding.

#185123 - 05/16/14 11:44 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Anymore I use an activated charcoal filter and boil water. If I were to use a chemical treatment I'd filter the water after treating it with an activated charcoal filter.

The charcoal filters I use are made by Britta for their "Squeeze Bottle". They're small and light. I use them in collapsible bottles made by Enfamil. There are larger collapsible bottles available. Together they're light and easy to pack.

When you're kayaking just strap a clear plastic jug of water to the bow of the boat where it's directly in the sun all day. That will sterilize it as good as any chemical treatment. If it's cloudy water filter it with an activated charcoal filter before you set it in the sun.

"You want to go where?"

#185124 - 05/16/14 12:27 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Quote:
"this does not refer to you, Brian, since you're most definitely an expert with a wide variety of experience!"

I completely agree with Mags' article. I've got opinions on a wide variety of topics, but expertise in very few.

It's like the old adage of having ten years of experience versus one year of experience ten times. For the most part, thru-hiking is like the latter.

#185126 - 05/16/14 03:19 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: BrianLe]

And I'm no expert on thru-hiking, since these days 30 miles is a 6-day trip for me! In my salad days, I did a lot of long-distance horse packing, though, with our family horses (i.e. doing all the work ourselves. We took 6-7 week trips in the Wyoming and Colorado Rockies every summer, with 2 resupplies during each trip. Some days I had to hike as far as I rode to find the horses!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/16/14 03:21 PM)

#185127 - 05/16/14 05:10 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I thought Roy Rogers just had to whistle and Trigger would then show up. Are you suggesting my horse knowledge has been ill-informed?

Cheers,

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Some days I had to hike as far as I rode to find the horses!

#185129 - 05/16/14 06:46 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: Rick_D]

Sometimes the call of home is stronger, espcially when within 3-4 days' ride. Hobbled horses can travel pretty fast, too!

#185750 - 06/16/14 10:40 AM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: OregonMouse]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I am new when it comes to water filtration and have done a good bit of homework. I settled on the Platypus Gravityworks 4.0 with the extra Carbon filter for use here in East TN. We don't have much to worry about for the viruses and such up in the smokey mountains like they would in many other places and generally have good clear water sources. That said there are reasons I like it:

It's simple with no moving parts to break. It's light,(not ultralight), packs easily and can double as 8 liters of storage when water is scarce as it was on one hike. We used a good bit of our supply to help out a couple dehydrated hikers while keeping enough to get us through.

Steripens and such might be nice but they don't filter out the junk in the water like sediment, bugs, metals, or in the most recent trip, pollen. Lots and lots of pollen from a few downed trees from the previous nights windstorm. It might be 'safe' but crunchy water is not to my taste so to speak. wink

Pills/tablets are the same thing; they might make it drinkable in some cases but not so much in others. They are always a good back-up to have though I prefer to simply boil off some water for 10 mins and go from there. It takes less time.

If there was one thing I might do differently with the platypus it's that we didn't really need the carbon filter. It's more for cleaning up any potential after taste but the water around here is clean enough that it's not a concern. It does cut the flow down to about 1/2 what it normally is and normal is fast!

I like the super easy to clean feature: Simply backflush it for a few seconds and it's good to go. Open the dirtybag and rinse easily as the entire top opens (unlike squeeze bags). So far it's the most useful system for the 3 of us especially when using multiple stoves for cooking larger meals. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

#185773 - 06/17/14 12:22 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
dylansdad77 Offline

so during a recent stopover at the cabelas in Hamburg, PA, I started this same discussion with one of the workers in the area - for fun. She looked like a deer in headlights, hence the fun. However, minutes into the conversation, I received a tap on the shoulder. When I turned around I saw a man in his (estimated) mid-thirties, full beard and dirty. A thru-hiker! I still consider myself a relative amateur at hiking so this was a real treat.

He was quick to offer suggestions and basically forced me to pick up a Sawyer Squeeze. He said "this thing works great, best bang for your buck, don't bother with anything else". On the spot I went with his recommendation as well as living by another manly tenet "Why buy 1 when you can have 2 at twice the price?". I figured it would make a good father's day gift for my cousin who recently became a father for the first time.

I have yet to try it out...I will reply again once I've had a chance to use it. Thanks again everyone who responded to my question! Happy Trails...

#185779 - 06/17/14 05:19 PM Re: Walter Filter Preferences - maybe this question... [Re: dylansdad77]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The famous Jedi Hiker: "These are the filters you seek."

Great story--have fun with the Sawyer. I'll add that it can be cobbled into a gravity system too, if you get tired of filling that narrow-neck container.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum