Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185693 - 06/12/14 01:52 PM Have You Been Snake Bitten?
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I'm curious, has anyone on this forum ever been bitten by a snake. If so, how did you treat it? Did you walk yourself out, have help, or call in help? I know the majority of bites are because the person was doing something careless or foolish. I've walked by many a snake with no issue, but I know bites do sometimes happen in spite of being cautious. Tell us about your experience.

#185696 - 06/12/14 05:33 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Not me, but my neighbor was bit by a copperhead in our house when she lived in it (her husband built it). She said she just stayed in bed for a few days.

I know a few other people here who've been bitten by copperheads too. Some went to the hospital, others did the same as my neighbor, no one I know died but the hospital bills choked a few up pretty bad.

I don't know anyone here who's be bit by a cottonmouth or rattler. They're here, I've relocated two pygmy rattlers from our yard but never seen any others and water moccasins are in all the lakes and streams nearby.

If I got bit by a copperhead while out solo hiking I'd stay put if I were a long hard hike from contacting anyone, if not I'd probably try to get somewhere I could make contact, but I'd take it plenty easy along the way.

"You want to go where?"

#185698 - 06/12/14 06:07 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: 4evrplan]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Never bitten myself, in spite of having some surprises (baby rattler hit my pole once. Another time I put my foot (accidentally) about an inch in front of a copperhead's mouth.

But years ago I worked on a weekly newspaper in Red Lodge, Montana. Had a story about a ditch runner on the Cody Canal who jumped a ditch and landed on one of those huge critters they have out there. The snake bit him twice, hard. The ditch runners were armed then (maybe still are; water is pretty dear these days). He shot the rattler, then started down into ranch country. It took him two days, passed out twice, but a rancher running fence found him draped over the fence like a fox pelt. Rancher threw him into the pickup bed and drove him to Billings hospital. He fully recovered. best, jcp

#185702 - 06/13/14 10:49 AM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: JPete]
4evrplan Offline

I'm scared of snakes, but I don't let that stop me from going out. It's reassuring that in spite of constant interactions between hikers and snakes, very few people seem to actually get bit. And, the chances of dying from a bite in North America, even if you do get bit, is very slim.

#185709 - 06/13/14 02:33 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: JPete]
billstephenson Offline

Everyone I know or have heard of here that's been bit stepped on the snake by accident, or they picked it up.

We have cats (my wife is a cat lady), and they do seem to keep the snakes away. I think they avoid cat whiz. I know I do.

But, while I forgot to mention it in another thread, snakes are one of the main reasons I use a headlamp when night hiking. There's an old account of a rattler that was killed near here years ago that was "10 feet long and had a head as big as a dog". It was laid out on the porch rail at the "Mincy General Store" and people came from miles around to see it. It'd really suck to get bit by one of those eek

I've seen photos of rattlers that big that were recently killed by hunters in Texas and Alabama, so they are still out there.

I have a healthy respect for snakes and it's absolutely grounded in fear. My own experience is that snakes have a "live and let live" agreement with humans and I'm holding up my end of the bargain as best I can. So far they have too.

"You want to go where?"

#185710 - 06/13/14 03:04 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: 4evrplan]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am surprised that I have never been bitten. If I see a snake, I generally try to catch it. I don't recommend that to anyone...I am just stupid. When I was 16 I caught a copperhead. I was going to take it home as a pet, but the adult that was with me said no way. So I cut off it's head and threw it in the woods.
I am surprised anyone gets bit, well, if they aren't trying to.

#185713 - 06/13/14 05:39 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

BTW, I've seen a six footer laying across the trail almost exactly where I took my profile picture. I'm not sure what it was, maybe a rat snake but possibly a water moccasin. I wasn't getting close enough to examine it, and I wouldn't have been sure anyway. Copperheads and rattlesnakes are more obvious.

About a month ago, I had to grab my boys before they stepped on one (different trail). Then we watched it slowly leave the trail and lazily slither up a tree like it didn't even care.

#185717 - 06/13/14 09:34 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: 4evrplan]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
That is the reason I have taken my dogs to de-snaking. I remember the current one walking right up to the rattler the first time and the snake popped him right on the nose (and of course he got the shock at the same time).

Next time and thereafter he has given a wide berth to snakes, which helps gives me a warning signal.

Edited by ndsol (06/14/14 09:36 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

#185718 - 06/13/14 10:32 PM Re: Have You Been Snake Bitten? [Re: ndsol]
billstephenson Offline

One of our dogs, Annie, came home in what we figured was pretty severe shock one night about two weeks ago after being out running for a few hours.

She was shaking and panting something awful and could hardly even stand up after she got home. My wife and I expected she might die, we're at least an hour and a half away from any emergency vet and since she wasn't busted up at all and we couldn't find a mark on her I figured she'd either die before we got there or recover on her own and the drive wouldn't help none with that.

We covered her with a blanket and gave her water and a bit of roasted chicken and she mostly recovered after a couple hours or so, and was fine the next morning. We never found a mark or any swelling. We ended up figuring she probably was a little snake bit, but it's hard to say. She might have got knocked in the head by a deer or smacked by a bear. Whatever it was didn't stop her from running off to chase stuff in the forest though. crazy

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum