Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181173 - 12/06/13 11:08 AM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: footmobile]
bluefish Offline

Originally Posted By footmobile
I'm waiting to apply the Grand Canyon for May. We want to go from the South Rim to the North and back. Even if we don't get the complete trip, we'll take what we can get.

Good luck! We got to a fax machine 12/1, very shortly after midnight Az. time. We had our reply back within 4 days. It was a Sunday so that may have helped. If you can find a fax machine you can use New Year's morning, you should get what you want. They accept faxes at any time. It would give you a real leg up, just as it did for us having access to a fax on a Sun. Our trip actually included Bright Angel and Indian Garden Cmgds., on one of the most heavily requested weeks of the year, so I think it would help you to do the early as possible application.

Edited by bluefish (12/06/13 11:13 AM)

#181175 - 12/06/13 12:44 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
When I go solo I just soak up the forest. The Japanese actually have a term for this, they call it “Shinrin-yoku ” or "Forest bathing". That's what I love most about going solo, I just immerse myself completely in the forest experience and I feel perfectly comfortable there. It does make me feel better too. I've made that connection since I was a little kid.

When backpacking with friends I still get to soak up the forest but that's not my main focus. I focus more on the companionship and adventure. Depending on who's all along this can be more stressful than day to day living but it can also be a lot of fun and result in great stories to tell, and I do sometimes really love those adventures.

I also love the idea of being self contained, completely free, and closer to the earth as it was intended to be experienced. I know none of that is entirely true, but there are bits of truth in it that are worth searching for and I find them most every time I go backpacking.

from billstephenson on the previous page

This is pretty much my experience too. I love that feeling of simplicity and self sufficiency that backpacking (particularly solo cross-country) gives you. The added bonus is that (for me) backpacking strips life down to the real and essential aspects of life; none of this extra baggage we pile on in our modern life (except for that SPOT my wife has me carry...). I come back refreshed, refocused, and ready to deal with the man made environment we live in.

Bill! I see you've gone (Mr) Natural! Hope Lewis and Clark are still doing well, along with the rest of the family of course.

Edited by skcreidc (12/06/13 12:46 PM)

#181180 - 12/06/13 04:14 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
Bill! I see you've gone (Mr) Natural! Hope Lewis and Clark are still doing well, along with the rest of the family of course.

grin

Yeah, me and that old guy go way back...

I was going through my Junior High School Yearbook and that drawing was done by a friend on the inside cover back in 1974. I thought I'd put it up there for grins. I was reminded of Mr. Natural and those olden days because my hair was getting pretty long again and I started hearing that local acquaintances were referring to me as "That old long haired Hippy guy".

I've never cut my hair very often, and it always grows long before I do, but this time I let it grow longer than it has been in a long time, about since that drawing was done. I suppose I was starting to resemble him wink

The hair was driving me pretty much nuts way before I had it cut this time because I wanted to try and stick it out long enough to donate it. I did, and I'm glad I did because even though my hair is always pretty shaggy the woman who chopped it off said the Locks of Love organization would be glad to have it. I wasn't at all sure they'd want it. It was well used with little care, that's for sure.

And Lewis and Clark are quite fat and happy. Thank you for asking.

Well, today they're not as happy as most. We've got about 10" of snow since yesterday and it's still snowing, so they're kind of hanging out in their stall waiting for me to come give them some grain at sundown.

I laid down a real thick layer of straw in their stall before the snowstorm, about 18 inches thick, and they're not lying in it, they're eating it. They've got an 800 lb round bale of hay a few feet away outside but the wheat straw is a treat they love to munch on, so they're not entirely bummed out.

I might be getting closer to bringing those two on a backpacking trip. One of my neighbors has a son in law who's parked a trailer at his place that'd be perfect for hauling the burros behind my Ranger pickup. I'm going to try and convince that guy that he needs to sell it to me. I don't have any super powers of persuasion so I'm going to rely on cash, and I don't have a lot of that so I'm also counting on some luck too, but sometimes these things have a way of working out if you just ask and get the ball rolling... laugh

"You want to go where?"

#181181 - 12/06/13 04:26 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: bluefish]
footmobile Offline

Originally Posted By bluefish
Good luck! We got to a fax machine 12/1, very shortly after midnight Az. time. We had our reply back within 4 days. It was a Sunday so that may have helped. If you can find a fax machine you can use New Year's morning, you should get what you want. They accept faxes at any time. It would give you a real leg up, just as it did for us having access to a fax on a Sun. Our trip actually included Bright Angel and Indian Garden Cmgds., on one of the most heavily requested weeks of the year, so I think it would help you to do the early as possible application.

It looks like I will have to figure out the fax part. I don't have a land line and was hopping I could find a email fax program for a mac that works.
We were planning on the six day, hit most of the camps, pack our butts off trip, but I hear May is the most busy time of the year.

#181201 - 12/09/13 10:39 AM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: jimmyb]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
I love playing with and testing my new gear. Camp fires are a close second.

#181223 - 12/10/13 01:14 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Well, I'm glad all is well for your clan back there Bill. It was cold enough to have ice on my windshield the other day here in San Diego; I can only imagine what it has been like in the midwest and back east.

IF you do get out with Lewis and Clark, that would be a TR I'd LOVE to see. grin

chris

#181328 - 12/15/13 03:49 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: billstephenson]
bobito9 Offline

Bill,
That is very well put. From now on I'll just tell people I'm "forest-bathing" smile It is definitely an utterly different and wonderful feeling to be there alone.

#185021 - 05/12/14 04:33 AM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: smmaddox]
ZAPH Offline

I just love getting out for a long hike. makes me feel great

#185452 - 05/29/14 03:33 AM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: smmaddox]
Harshal Offline

Loc: Delhi
Backpacking is an art to carry maximum of stuff for trekking or hiking. My backpacking experience is very good for my last 2-3 trips. I also have discussion with some other trekker and come to know very interesting factor for backpacking, like make your backpack as much as light you can, ventilated back, nice chest straps and many more.

#185465 - 05/29/14 02:41 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: Harshal]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd say more nearly a minimum (depending on conditions) rather than a maximum! This is, after all, a lightweight backpacking site.

#185489 - 05/31/14 09:48 PM Re: What do you love most about backpacking? [Re: OregonMouse]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
It's the one thing I do that completely restores me mind soul and spirit, and it isn't important that anyone else understand why that is so.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum