Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185828 - 06/19/14 08:42 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Out here in the West, many jurisdictions now ban alcohol stoves during fire season--especially after several major alcohol-stove-caused fires the past few years. Many jurisdictions insist on stoves with on/off valves and often require stoves that are UL certified. The rules, of course, vary by jurisdiction (a real pain if you're passing through, for example, several national forests) and by the fire danger conditions at a specific time.

Especially in dry conditions, you definitely don't want to go off and do something else while your stove is operating!

I own both alcohol and canister stoves, but invariably when I'm packing up, I grab the canister stove. It's a lot more convenient.

For trips of 7 days or more, the combination of stove + fuel is actually lighter for a canister stove. stove weight vs. time over 14 days.

The almost-empty canisters can be used for car-camping or one-night trips. The canisters can also be recycled once completely empty. It's easy to tell how much fuel is left in a canister by weighing it (most canisters show full and empty weight). All you need to do is to do some testing with cold water on your patio to find out how much fuel is used for your average boil.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/19/14 08:43 PM)

#185835 - 06/20/14 09:29 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
First of all, I'm not disputing any of the advantages of alcohol stoves; I've used them successfully, and many are quite good. But, something just occurred to me: why have none of the major makers (MSR, Snow Peak, Coleman/Peak 1, etc.) come out with a version of the alcohol stove?

This is speculation, but I imagine it has to do with liability, especially in light of everything OM said.

#185838 - 06/20/14 12:11 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: OregonMouse]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“For trips of 7 days or more, the combination of stove + fuel is actually lighter for a canister stove. stove weight vs. time over 14 days.”

Yea, that link needs updating. It’s been there for at least 10+ years. Maybe add a pepsi stove for comparison. Lets look at 10 days – though this is rare even for any thru hiker (plan for 4 or 5 day refill).

In the above setup it is assumed the canister and alcy will use the same type/weight of pot and boiling the same volume of water so that is out of the calculation. And I use an alcy efficiency 0.75 mass-oz/meal. it’s usually 0.50mass-oz/meal but I just wanted to point out that there’s a lot of playing room with alcy and yet it still comes out with less weight.

Now how about a Jetboil? You’ll see even a greater weight difference (in AvgWeight/day).

“But, something just occurred to me: why have none of the major makers (MSR, Snow Peak, Coleman/Peak 1, etc.) come out with a version of the alcohol stove?”

Good question since they’re used heavy in marine and artic conditions. At least Evernew and Trangia have enjoyed success.

-Barry

#185839 - 06/20/14 01:43 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: BarryP]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If I were to take a medium canister (8 oz fuel) on a 10-day trip not only would I NOT have 3.5 oz of fuel remaining on the last day, I likely would run out of fuel before the end of the trip. (I actually cook food, not just boil water). I can generally squeeze 8-9 days from the medium size canister. In your analysis the reason that the canister average is heavier than the alcohol is that the standard size of fuel canisters do not match the trip requirement. An apples to apples comparison would start by using up all the fuel in the canister, take that many days and compare the equivalent alcohol stove weights.

#185840 - 06/20/14 01:54 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
First of all, I'm not disputing any of the advantages of alcohol stoves; I've used them successfully, and many are quite good. But, something just occurred to me: why have none of the major makers (MSR, Snow Peak, Coleman/Peak 1, etc.) come out with a version of the alcohol stove?

My guess is they wouldn't have a monopoly on the fuel.

#185853 - 06/21/14 12:45 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Stoves that run on alcohol have been around for decades. They are called multi-fuel stoves and are used by mountaineers who do international climbing. These are not lightweight stoves.

I suspect the reason that no manufacturer has made a ultra-light commercial alcohol stove is that it cannot meet safety standards. To make it meet safety standards, it would be heavy enough to defeat the purpose of using an alcohol stove.

#185898 - 06/23/14 03:14 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: wandering_daisy]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“An apples to apples comparison would start by using up all the fuel in the canister, take that many days and compare the equivalent alcohol stove weights.”

That’s a good scientific test. But real life apples to apples for me would be “What’s your (1-8) day weight?” of which alcy is lightest. But that’s because alcy has infinite container weights while canister only has two. Even at 20 days where alcy is lightest, that esbit is looking mighty good. There is one day where alcy = canister (9th day with NO breathing room) but beyond that, bang, canister weight goes up. And most of us resupply at 4-5 days anyway.

+1 Gershon’s reason of some manufacturers not making alcy stoves (maintain monopoly).

-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

#185902 - 06/23/14 04:46 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: BarryP]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Maybe this thread should be changed to "How much thinking is too much thinking." My brain is fried.

The place I save the most weight is in not bringing extra food. Yesterday I came back with only a serving of oatmeal. I think on the next trip, I'll pre-calculate the calories I'll burn and only bring that much food. Along the way, I'll plan to lose 1/4 pound a day.

On the other hand, maybe I should lose 10 pounds in the next month and plan to break even on calorie consumption and burn.

#185903 - 06/23/14 05:15 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: Gershon]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
next trip, I'll pre-calculate the calories I'll burn and only bring that much food

I assemble and prepackage each meal I intend to eat on a solo backpack. Even though I try to inject some variety from one day top the next, it always ends up very close to 28 oz per day and somewhere between 3000 and 3100 calories. The longer the trip, the less likely I have any food left over at the end, unless I purposely brought a small emergency ration I never intended to eat.

#185905 - 06/23/14 10:05 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: BarryP]
wandering_daisy Offline

I disagree! How can you say "most of us" re-ration 4-5 days? That is a very short ration period. My typical ration is 9-10 days. One week book-ended by two weekends is very common for those who work and have the one-week vacation. 8-9 days is also what I can stuff in one bear canister (mostly required here in the Sierra). On the other end, a weekend trip 2-3 days is probably the most common. Thing about the weekend trip is that food and fuel weight is minimal, regardless of type of stove, thus less critical.

I say take whatever stove you feel most comfortable cooking on, and one that matches your cooking style. Long distance through hikers are NOT the norm. They have a very specific style where the 4-5 day ration may be the most common. I bet the thru-hiker vs Average Joe backpacker is 1000:1.

#185911 - 06/24/14 01:41 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with W_D. Most "working stiffs" I know go out for a week plus the two weekends--9 days. That was the normal "long trip" while I was working and belonged to an active hiking/backpacking/mountaineering club. If the trip involved a really long drive, we would leave Friday at 5, drive (taking turns and supported by lots of caffeine) until well into the wee hours Saturday, start backpacking Saturday (definitely sleep-deprived!), backpack 8 days and start the drive home Sunday morning. At least with that schedule there was no problem sleeping Saturday night!

The alternative for most of those who work is going out Friday evening through Sunday, thus taking no time off work and being out for only 2 days (3 days if it's a holiday weekend, althouth those involve more time stuck in traffic).

I repeat what W_D says--only a few backpackers are thru-hikers, and they are definitely not the norm! Very, very few people can afford to take 6 months out of their lives--most of us have demanding careers and dependents to support. And that short a resupply period means a lot more hitchiking and going off trail, which slows down the hike.

The difference with being retired is that I can go out weekdays and avoid the crowds on weekends, especially holiday weekends. If it's a longer trip, I'm out at the farthest distance from the trailhead by the weekend, escaping most of the crowds. 'Tis wonderful!

As I mentioned earlier, in times of extreme fire danger, it doesn't matter what stove/fuel system you prefer--at those times the only legal options are canister, liquid gas/kerosene (unacceptably heavy for most of us), or rehydrating your food in cold water.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/14 02:01 AM)

#185917 - 06/24/14 11:05 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
OM, even in very popular areas, one can leave the crowds behind about 4-5 miles in. Desolation Wilderness, Yose etc.
Duane

#185949 - 06/25/14 11:58 PM Re: How light is to light [Re: BarryP]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
For me this chart is accurate and reflects why I switched to the SuperCat stove.

Fuel is easy to get, fairly inexpensive, the setup is dependable, and nothing I'm aware of is lighter for the way I backpack.

I can pretty much get a new stove and fuel at most any convenience store right here in the Ozarks. That's a hard one to beat.

But like any gear, it depends on your style. Mine has evolved a lot since I became a member here. I had to ease into lighter food.

"You want to go where?"

#185950 - 06/26/14 12:03 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By hikerduane
OM, even in very popular areas, one can leave the crowds behind about 4-5 miles in. Desolation Wilderness, Yose etc.
Duane

That's true. I seldom saw a soul when I wondered around Sequoia NF. The NP was crowded in the usual spots but even there a few miles away in any direction was pretty much empty of any other people.

"You want to go where?"

#185951 - 06/26/14 08:55 AM Re: How light is to light [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I got a couple free Starlyte stoves, the regular and modified. They work very will with my Caldera Cone set up. Have not tried the carbon felt simmer ring for it yet. Too bad the season for a alcohol stove does not extend into summer with fire restrictions coming earlier.
Duane

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum