Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185395 - 05/27/14 12:56 AM 2013 REI quarterdome T1 footprint and stakes
Dan Mc Offline

My son has a 2013 REI quarter dome T1 that we got as REI was closing out that model. They were out of footprints and so we ended up ordering the footprint for the 2014 version but the tent and footprint aren't quite compatible. Does anyone have a picture of how the correct footprint is supposed to hook up at the foot end of the tent? We'll likely end up sewing something to match the tent but I'm not quite sure how the foot end is supposed to go given that there is only one pole down there.

In a related note, perhaps I'm dense but it seems like this tent takes a huge number of stakes (like 9 or 10) compared to my old half dome 2 and newer half dome 4 (backpacking with little ones). This is related to the main lengthwise pole only coming to the center of the foot and not the corners. It seems like the corners need staking and the instructions seem to say that. But then the same corners need staking again for the rain fly. Have others found this too?

Thanks
-Dan

#185397 - 05/27/14 08:17 AM Re: 2013 REI quarterdome T1 footprint and stakes [Re: Dan Mc]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
A lot of tent users on this lightweight forum view " footprints" as unnecessary weight. Yes they help protect the floor of the tent from abrasion and such but at quite a cost in money and weight. Most floor wear occurs where the occupant lies. Many here, including me, will cut a piece of thin Tyvek or polyethylene or Polycryo to about 24" x 74" and use that in place of the much heavier dedicated footprint. Others, again including me, will often do without being of the opinion that the floor material should be sufficiently sturdy on it's own.

I can't speak to the staking issue other than to note that often one can rig the corners to share a single stake rather than using one for the body and another for the fly. Using the tent will sort this out especially if done at home in the back yard.

#185398 - 05/27/14 08:33 AM Re: 2013 REI quarterdome T1 footprint and stakes [Re: Dan Mc]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Maybe this YouTube video will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IDcAn9-JdQ

I have a T-3 quarter quarter dome. It is easier to set it up, and pick it up and put it over the footprint. With the T-3, the footprint has to be right side up. If it's done this way, any piece of plastic will work. You may be able to get free pieces of Tyvek from Home Depot. They wrap their plywood in it. You don't need grommets. Just make sure the footprint doesn't extend past the edges of the tent or it will channel water under the tent.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum