Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185161 - 05/19/14 05:17 PM Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000?
Rodrigo Offline

Hi again...

I need an ultralight down jacket without hood. But i rethink about this.

http://montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=3201&p_id=2301460

What You think about it.?

Better sugestions?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Rodrigo (05/20/14 02:41 PM)

#185162 - 05/19/14 05:54 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I have had good experiences with Montbell clothing. They seem well made and well designed. I cannot say anything about that particular jacket, but I have one of their lightest down jackets (under 170 grams, so it is more of a sweater) and it works well.

#185163 - 05/19/14 06:12 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Give Golite a look. They're hard to beat price/performancewise.

Selkirk jacket

Love my Bitteroot jacket.

Cheers,

#185164 - 05/19/14 06:35 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I also like Montbell. I have and love their lightest down jacket, the EX-Light, a less expensive (and probably just as warm) version of the luxury model you're looking at. Do note that they are sized for average Japanese people, who tend to be a bit more svelte than the average American. You may have to go up a size from what you normally wear.

Also note that most of Montbell's insulation offerings are designed to be layered, not worn as a stand-alone item. In addition, to achieve lightness, the shell materials are fragile. This doesn't bother me because I mostly use the jacket for rest stops and sitting around camp, or wear it under either my rain jacket or wind shirt.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/19/14 06:40 PM)

#185170 - 05/19/14 11:07 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Everything OregonMouse says in her post is worthwhile and matches my experience.

#185173 - 05/20/14 08:16 AM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rodrigo Offline

Thanks guys...

Perhaps i need change the question.

The 3 bests down jacket under 10oz.

3 important point

1) warm

2) price/performancewise

3) hood

Edited by Rodrigo (05/20/14 10:05 AM)

#185179 - 05/20/14 12:48 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
aimless Online   content

While that is the question you would like us to answer, not many hikers are in a position to own and use more than one lightweight down jacket under 10 oz. This makes informed comparisons difficult. We might have opinions about which are the best three, but they would be based on guesses.

#185180 - 05/20/14 01:12 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: aimless]
Rodrigo Offline

Ok... Forgive my poor english...

I am new in ultralight backpack and have a dificult to make a choice about cloths.

First point is a ultralight down jacket for night and early morning.

My first choice the montbell is out. I need more warm. I belive the golite Bitterroot Water Repellent Down Jacket is a good choice but havier than i wish.

#185181 - 05/20/14 01:40 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
aimless Online   content

What temperatures are you preparing for? What other layers of clothing will you have with you to wear under your jacket or over it?

Edit: I notice in your first posting you specified "down jacket without hood". In your second one you specify: "3) hood".

Edited by aimless (05/20/14 02:19 PM)

#185182 - 05/20/14 02:04 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I put Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering at the top of the quality-performance heap. An example, that also happens to be on (rare) sale.

Feathered Friends Daybreak

They have a hooded version, not currently on sale.

Cheers,

#185186 - 05/20/14 02:40 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: aimless]
Rodrigo Offline

I spect 20-18 F at minimum, mostly 28-25 F, only at night and early morning.

I use for power up my sleep system some times.

For first layer:

I use or minus 33 merino wool

http://www.minus33.com/catalog/kinsman-midweight-turtleneck/712DH

Or mammut

http://www.backcountry.com/mammut-moench...MAM0773-CYA-XXL

Shell i buying Z packs rain jacket.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

#185187 - 05/20/14 02:42 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: aimless]
Rodrigo Offline

Sorry... I rethink about this and hood can be a plus.

Thanks

#185197 - 05/20/14 05:00 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Wondering why you decided no Montbell. They offer a number of jackets, both hooded and hoodless, with various fill weights. Obviously, the heavier the fill weight (which does not include the shell), the warmer, since most have the same down. Their jackets seem to beat out others for weight.

I've used mine (which is their lightest jacket) in +15F (-9C) temps with high winds and been very cozy while sitting still. While moving, it was too warm. This was with my wind shirt over it and a midweight base layer top underneath.

I got a hoodless jacket because I already have a synthetic fleece balaclava and a wool cap. If I hadn't already had these, I'd have gotten a jacket with hood, too.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/20/14 05:03 PM)

#185200 - 05/20/14 05:19 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: Rodrigo]
aimless Online   content

If you are moderately active, as opposed to sitting for a long period, the base layer and shell you specified, combined with something like the Montbell UL Down Parka (total 9 oz for a Medium, with 2.5 oz of 800 fill and a hood) should be comfortable enough for 28F to 30F.

At the lower range (18F to 20F) you would be pushing their limits, I think. Much would depend on your other clothing, such as gloves, or a balaclava, and insulation on your legs and feet. Plus, your activity level. If the temps will not stay that low for very long, as the day warms up, then the risks are definitely lower, even if you get a bit chilled.

I would hope your sleeping system is capable of keeping you reasonably warm at 18F, because you say those temps are possible. During sleep you generate much less heat than when awake and moving about.

Edit: As you may notice, people differ greatly in how easily they get cold or hot, so as always, it is best to know your own body and how it operates. I tend to become cold rather easily, but heat up to 90F does not bother me.

Edited by aimless (05/20/14 05:22 PM)

#185206 - 05/20/14 06:58 PM Re: Ultralight down jacket! Montbell plasma 1000? [Re: aimless]
Rodrigo Offline

Ok... In my trips the temperature rise up soon, 2 hours latter sunrise is 38-42 F and i walk whith a simple T shit.

In really the time between the sunset and sleep and the time i wake and start walk is the problem. Just 3 4 hours.

In my last trip was 32-30 degrees at night making unconfortable without another layer just the first layer and a shell forcing me to sleep soon and suffer in morning.

I use pants in polartec power strech and windblock gloves. In head a half/half Buff with polartec and microfiber.

My sleep system is my luxury item totally overated but give me confort in bivacs.
Is a mountain hardwear phanton 0 and a big agnes Q core sl sleeping pad.

Edited by Rodrigo (05/20/14 07:05 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum