Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185043 - 05/12/14 07:26 PM Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate.
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri

"You want to go where?"

#185046 - 05/12/14 07:43 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hey that's great-like catching up on news about an old friend. (Please, nobody tell that Bundy feller.)

A-woooo!

#185048 - 05/12/14 08:23 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I was thinking of him a few times this winter, up to a few weeks ago.
Duane

#185051 - 05/12/14 08:43 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By hikerduane
I was thinking of him a few times this winter, up to a few weeks ago.
Duane
Hopefully not in an impure way;)

#185053 - 05/12/14 10:14 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Biggest excitement since OR-7's temporary move to California!
(Evidently California girls weren't to his liking!) Oregon Wild article

Of course local folks are wondering if Mrs. OR-7 is the same wolf whose tracks were found near Mt. Hood last winter. If not, there may be more wandering wolves out there!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/12/14 10:15 PM)

#185054 - 05/12/14 10:26 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

I'm hoping to hear one in the wild, may have to go to Jellystone or Alaska again.
Duane

#185075 - 05/14/14 04:34 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

Here's wishing the happy couple a longer, healthier existence than Iowa's first wolf in nine decades.

Hunter shoots Iowa wolf

#185079 - 05/14/14 07:00 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Cool story. I like to think I'm Tennessee's favorite wandering wolf. grin

#185102 - 05/14/14 11:24 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Duane, there's reportedly a wolf pack in the Teanaway area, on the east side of the Washington Cascades north of I-90 and south of Mt. Stuart. I plan to go up there in the fall and listen.

Edited by OregonMouse (05/14/14 11:24 PM)

#185103 - 05/14/14 11:52 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

OM, I need to do another OR road trip. WA a bit far, but then, I did go to the Winds a couple years ago.
Duane

#185108 - 05/15/14 01:21 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Friend of my dad's had a cabin up there when I was a kid--how I loved visiting. Never heard a wolf but frankly, they were probably completely absent in the PNW back then.

Would be thrilled (and chilled) to hear them. As it is I get a kick out of coyote yips and yaps bouncing off cliffs and canyons on the rare occasions I hear that. Frankly, most trips the most "mega" of fauna will be a fat marmot. Life it tough above treeline.

Cheers,

#185113 - 05/15/14 11:14 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

We have lots of coyotes here. I've had them come up within 20 yards of my campsite lot's of times and start yipping and howling.

Hunters will shoot them here for sport. I don't see any reason for that, but a few years ago the area we live did get over crowded with them and small dogs and cats and chickens started disappearing in increasing numbers. Someone must of thinned them out, but there's still a pack that lives close by us here.

It's cool to hear the packs howling to each other at night. One will get going and then others will chime in. I really enjoy that.

The stories I read about when wolves were here are pretty damn scary. I'm sure a few wouldn't be a problem, but there were a lot of them back in the early settler days and they were hungry all the time.

There aren't many stories of bears ever messing with people here, but wolves scared even the hardest of the old timers.

"You want to go where?"

#185115 - 05/15/14 11:42 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: billstephenson]
rockchucker22 Offline

I hunt, but never shoot coyotes unless they are eating my chickens. My grandpa told me if your going to kill something, your going to eat it. I've always enjoyed the coyote howls at night. I also don't like it when people kill rattle snakes. The same people also complain when they're over run with mice.

#185119 - 05/16/14 08:45 AM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

I've seen people obsessed with having to kill rattlers. I've run across three along Bubbs Creek, way below Vidette Meadow, in the two trips in that area.
Duane

#185121 - 05/16/14 10:00 AM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Here's the one I saw last weekend.

#185168 - 05/19/14 09:48 PM Re: Oregon's wandering wolf may have found mate. [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Nice Tyson, I was unable to view at work, then forget by the time I get home.
Duane

#185550 - 06/04/14 05:12 PM Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: billstephenson]
Rick_D Offline

OR7 and mom have new pups, and state protection
That howling you hear in the distance is ranchers complaining that four wolves will be hauling off their cattle in about two months' time. grin

ETA link fixed.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (06/04/14 09:46 PM)

#185551 - 06/04/14 05:28 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: Rick_D]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
Thanks for the update! Btw, your link didn't work for me. Here's another one, with some baby pictures

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/06/04/6457645/confirmed-wolf-or7-has-pups-in.html

#185789 - 06/18/14 11:02 AM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: squark]
hikerduane Offline

I see Kalifornia is moving to list it as an endangered species. Crackpots.
Duane

#185790 - 06/18/14 01:16 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Originally Posted By hikerduane
I see Kalifornia is moving to list it as an endangered species. Crackpots.
Duane

I lived in California for a long time. The number of deer and bear that have been killed out of season out there by wackos hunting for "Bigfoot" is most certainly more than none this year already.

I've met Californians that flew to Alaska to kill a polar bear (poach) because they wanted to have white polar bear rug to put on top of their plush white carpet in the all white "Greeting Room" of their big white mansion, and there were, and still are, Alaskans who will gladly guide them and carry and load their gun, skin the bear, and take their money for it.

So I can hardly consider those who are trying to protect this very lonely wolf "Crackpots", though I agree CA has more than it's share of them.

"You want to go where?"

#185791 - 06/18/14 01:47 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

We don't even have any here yet, that's what I'm referring to. One wandering wolf does not make a reason.
It's the Asians poaching bear for their gall bladders and I believe road kill accounts for more deer dying than legal means.
Duane

#185792 - 06/18/14 03:23 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Have not been following the legislative side of things closely, but am guessing this is probably a tactical move against what will surely be aggressive moves by ranchers to stop this wolf-in-California thing post haste.

IIUC one side-benefit of an established wolf population is a corresponding big drop in coyote populations, as they're direct competitors and, actual enemies. When you see the devastation done by Wildlife Services predator control contractors, you begin to wonder why we're spending all that money to "protect" federal grazing lands. Wolves might actually help things, but there's a cohort who don't even want us to find out.

Predator Control

A-wooo!

#185796 - 06/18/14 03:58 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

coyotes are good to keep rodents down, wolves more likely to prey on livestock. Redneck side kicking in here, I live in the part of Kalifornia that would like to be in the state of Jefferson, mostly rural, Republican. Ranchers won't like it. This was only voted on at regional level by F&G.
Duane

#185797 - 06/18/14 04:59 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Someone best tell the predator-control folks busy poisoning/shooting/etc. all those dang coyotes.

Had time to look at the CDFW web site, which says "Any wolf that enters California is protected as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act."

DFW

So have no idea what else is or might be occurring WRT legislative protection.

Cheers,

#185802 - 06/18/14 07:32 PM Re: Pass the cigars--OR7 is a daddy! [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

The word I got was from the online version of the Bull. Feather River online news for this week.

"The California Fish and Game Commission has voted to move forward with listing the gray wolf as an endangered species under California law.

The vote took place at the regularly scheduled commission meeting in Fortuna on June 4. Commissioners Richard Rogers, Jack Baylis and Michael Sutton voted for listing, while Commissioner Jacque Hostler-Carmesin voted no. Commissioner Jim Kellogg was not present."

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum