Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185149 - 05/18/14 10:43 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
bobito9 Offline

I once went on a backpacking trip with a couple who picked me up hitchhiking. The guy told me his pack weighed 90 lbs, and I believed him when I tried to pick it up. Man! Among other things, he had a small pressure cooker to cook their dry beans. And this was for a 4 day trip. But you know what, that guy hiked so fast that it killed me to keep up with him on the trail.

#185155 - 05/19/14 12:11 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Didn't we all? Was yours the little tiny one that stored inside the suction cup thingies, or the Sawyer one with the syringe and 5 or 6 little cups (the socket set of snake bite kits)? Or both?

Mine is a "Sawyer". I still have it. It's sitting on my gear shelf. I just went over and looked at it. I wrote "Snake Bite Kit" on every side of the bright yellow box. I must've been worried no one could find it while I was lying there dying.

I invented a modern snake bit kit after I learned those don't work. I test marketed the concept but never actually made one. It's pretty simple really. It's just a bag with $45,000 in it.

"You want to go where?"

#185253 - 05/21/14 04:34 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I do not recall bringing any "bonehead" item; I do however remember NOT bringing some essentials or doing stupid things! The flip side of the coin for "bonehead" thinking.

1. Tying my inflatable sleeping pad to the outside of my pack when I planned on bushwhacking through thorny vegetation. Not hard to guess what happened.

2. Going without a map or compass because I thought I knew the area well. Also, walking off my map coverage, getting lost.

3. Taking a tent (rain jackets too) that leaked in hopes that it would not rain. Dah! What good is a leaky tent or rain jacket?

4. Trying to use up 2-year old backpack food without checking it. Not edible - moldy and awful. A hungry trip!

5. Going the wrong place. Took my daughter on a trip that was WAY too hard for her. She now is very skeptical when I want to take her kids (my grandkids)backpacking.

6. Taking a 45-degree sleeping bag, cowboy camping, when the weather report said 30 degrees and wind.

7. Taking my poor puppy on a rough sharp rock trail. First night I looked and she had holes in each paw.

8. NOT taking my camera to save a few ounces, and kicking myself all the trip. Not taking a spare battery, and running up to a viewpoint for one of the most fantastic sunsets I have witnessed, only to have camera say "dead battery".

I guess the closest to "bonehead" gear is when my husband and I carried full on serious rock climbing gear (about 30 pounds) on a 10-day Sierra trip and never climbed one mountain. We ended up stashing the gear and picking it up at the end of the trip.

#185258 - 05/21/14 06:08 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I love #3! Did it work?

Taking someone to the wrong place: been there, regretted that. It explains my wife's only two backpacking trips: first and last, taken simultaneously.

#185314 - 05/23/14 01:24 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Boy can I relate to these. My first item of gear was a sheath knife for Christmas. I made a new sheath for it and treasured it for years, though I don't remember cutting anything but food and a few tent stakes. Can't imagine carrying it now. I have a little pen knife that weighs maybe an ounce.

Yeah, my second piece of purchased equipment was a snake bite kit (the interlocking suction cups with knife blade. Utterly worthless of course, but I may still have it. Haven't carried it since about 1953.

And I took my two girls to the wrong place (too far) and it was just about their "first and last".

The other thing was a three quarter Hudson's bay style axe. Carried in hand for a whole lot of miles, but rarely used. I think the last time I carried it was about 1960, and I don't know what happened to it.

best, jcp

#185610 - 06/07/14 04:50 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: billstephenson]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Eight Canadian Stubby Glass Bottles of O'Keefes Extra Old Stock Beer:

and a pound of frozen ground moose meat for tacos - that I thought would thaw in my pack (along with the frypan and coleman peak one stove and fuel) To here:

In what was worse conditions than you see in that picture. I was 16. And my background was such that I should have known
better (and did). three dorky teenagers set up in snowbowl campground on skyline with a storm howling trying to cook frozen moosemeat.. And of course by this point nobody really wanted a beer, but we drank them anyway..

Such experiences are useful to young men. That which does not kill you makes you smarter wink Yes, it's sexist, but I do believe that women are different and do not require as much stupidity to aquire wisdom.

I think the *empty* bottles (which yes, I did pack out) weighed more than my current tent and sleeping gear.. possibly
more than my entire current big three wink

Browse my pictures

#185611 - 06/07/14 04:53 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Oh, and my current, and favorite, bonehead move, is to leave the data card out of my camera and arrive at the trailhead with
the ability to only take pictures with the stupid internal memory. Must buy a camera with no internal memory so when I check it before putting it in the pack it obviously doesn't work.
Browse my pictures

#185614 - 06/07/14 06:16 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: phat]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
You might say the beer was "fully matured" but y'all weren't.

Mmmm, moose meat. Can't say I ever had the pleasure but I'll wager at the time it was darn good.

Cheers,

#185617 - 06/07/14 07:12 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Rick_D]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D

Mmmm, moose meat. Can't say I ever had the pleasure but I'll wager at the time it was darn good.

Well, eventually I recall it did the job. it was a store taco kit cheese, and moose. I definately recall three of us standing around a british army issue frypan on top of a roaring coleman peak 1 in a blizzard whacking at a hunk of frozen mooseburger and repeatedly saying we thought it would thaw in the packs.. Standing outside waiting for... forever... for the meat to thaw and cook... Couldn't wait to shovel it in, down my ice cold beer that I would have preferred warm, and strip off my wet jeans to crawl into a fortunately dry sleeping bag smile

So, while mooseburger is fine, I don't recall that meal being particularly memorable for any kind of taste...

Edited by phat (06/07/14 07:12 PM)
Browse my pictures

#185659 - 06/10/14 02:52 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: phat]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
phat:

That story is a classic and thank god the GoPro hadn't been invented yet...

My wife and my's first backpacking trip was to New Mexico with a long-term friend, somewhere above Sante Fe. We had in our packs a 3-liter jug of really bad Gallo wine, that eventually we drank and then carried that heavy glass container out. This was the start of my "air-camping" adventures -- flying from Miami to somewhere mountainous -- and when we arrived at the Albuquerque airport we found out that although we had a car reservation, we had no car cause it was balloon fest weekend. "So give us a van, a truck!" we demanded. "Get lost," they replied. So we found "Rent-A-Wreck" in the phone book -- remember those -- and they rented us a piece of junk that once we got up the mountain we realized had only three lug nuts on the left-front wheel. We arrived late and headed up, finally stopping to camp just off trail at dark, and pitched the tent on an absurdly steep hill and woke up in the bottom of the tent. But we had a great time and we were hooked.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#185677 - 06/10/14 09:34 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: phat]

"Women don't require as much stupidity to acquire wisdom."

Yep - that's why you rarely see women missing fingers, and also why you rarely hear them say, "Hey everybody - watch this!"

#185680 - 06/11/14 01:10 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
"Women don't require as much stupidity to acquire wisdom."

Yep - that's why you rarely see women missing fingers, and also why you rarely hear them say, "Hey everybody - watch this!"

Hereabouts they say, in a dulcet tone: "Take my chardonnay for a moment won't you please, and observe whilst I demonstrate."

Seldom are fire or chainsaws involved.

Cheers,

#185689 - 06/11/14 05:50 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Rick_D]

And, I'd bet, never are both involved in the same demonstration.

#186128 - 07/12/14 09:42 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: ndwoods]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
a contractor shovel with a broken handle and a skillt
Jim

#189311 - 02/22/15 08:06 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Jimshaw]
KyHiker40 Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
"Hinterlands"

#191206 - 06/30/15 02:46 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
MannyDantyla Offline

We were in the Arapaho NF in CO and, after the sun went down and a bowl of strong Colorado herb was burned, we all became very paranoid of bears. There were lots of slender long pines that had fallen in this area, so we constructed crude fortresses around our tents. Haha! We even whittled some of the sticks with sharp points at the end to stab any bears trying to murder us in our sleep. lol

#191219 - 07/01/15 03:24 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: MannyDantyla]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That is hilarious!!!

The boneheadedest things I've done involved bears too. No herbs were involved, so I can only blame myself. Lucky for me both times the bears were forgiving souls. One did let me know what he thought of me though by leaving me something to think about. He even pointed to it while looking at me. Bears can have a satirical sense of humor if they're not hungry.

"You want to go where?"

#191611 - 08/12/15 12:29 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
SQWIB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
I may have everyone beat on this....

A near 1 pound pewter mug, packed at the last minute, that I used by the fire to heat my coffee, Yep, it melted, I saved it as a reminder of my boneheadedness.

I refer to it as my, "What was I thinking Mug"

#191626 - 08/13/15 05:06 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: SQWIB]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hey SQWIB - feel like posting a "before and after" pic? I'm curious...

#191641 - 08/17/15 09:47 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
MountainMinstrel Offline

45 years ago my brother and I went backpacking up the Kern river from Johnsondale. We took among other things cotton sleeping bags, canned bacon (man did the meat bees love that!), and a cast iron skillet. I was 14, weighted about 145, and had to of been carrying 50+ lbs. needless to say it was a long time before I went backpacking again. 11 years ago I discovered that you don't have to lug that kind of weight around and have been enjoying the backcountry ever since.

#191986 - 09/22/15 02:30 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Zuuk Offline

Loc: NB, Canada
I have one of those camping propane burners that screw on top of the little propane tanks. So I was reading that the butane burners are better for 3-season because the fuel is lighter that propane. So I bought myself a butane burner and grabbed a canister of fuel. On the good side, the butane burner is much smaller and lighter that the propane burner, so in the end everything worked out well and I reduced weight. The bonehead move was grabbing a 1 lb bottle of butane to replace the heavy 1 lb bottle of propane.

#192252 - 10/17/15 06:06 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: dylansdad77]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
An 1877 Colt Single Action Army revolver with a 7.5" barrel loaded with five .45 Long Colt rounds.

I replaced that venerable boat anchor for hiking with a plastic Glock many years ago...

#192261 - 10/19/15 10:58 AM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Aragon]
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By Aragon
An 1877 Colt Single Action Army revolver with a 7.5" barrel loaded with five .45 Long Colt rounds.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid...

#192264 - 10/19/15 12:09 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: Aragon]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
so you're still carrying around the boat anchor? You just got a lighter weight anchor?

#192344 - 10/27/15 09:21 PM Re: OK - we've all been there...boneheaded ideas... [Re: BZH]
Aragon Offline

Loc: Central California Coast
Originally Posted By BZH
so you're still carrying around the boat anchor? You just got a lighter weight anchor?

I wouldn't classify my personal protection firearm as a "boat anchor."

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum