Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184906 - 05/06/14 02:47 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: Heather-ak]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As I said, it depends on where you are! I spent a week in northern Norway in June some years back, and basically time sort of stopped, with the sun up 24 hours a day!

There's a reason a light source is no longer one of the "ten" essentials above the Arctic Circle in midsummer!

#184909 - 05/06/14 03:17 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: Heather-ak]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
My first thought, the first time I experienced "no dark" in Canada was "hey...I could mow the lawn at 2 a.m.!" grin

#184916 - 05/06/14 06:47 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: OregonMouse]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

There's a reason a light source is no longer one of the "ten" essentials above the Arctic Circle in midsummer!

Just make #10 a sleep mask, I guess. :-)

cheers,

#184920 - 05/06/14 09:22 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: Gershon]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Or, you can try hiking the "old way", as in before electric lights. My wife's grandmother (died at 94) was a backwoods gal who used to walk through the 'holler' to the neighbors (couple miles) with a coal oil lantern IF they had fuel to spare, but the light of the moon was her guide, usually. They didn't walk around with torches like in the movies. I've tried hiking with a candle lantern but put it out because my hand got hot. grin
Back then, light was expensive! Star and moonlight was free and no one knew to miss LED headlamps and such. Go out and night navigate the old way. Dark didn't stop anyone from moving around.

#185692 - 06/12/14 01:15 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: bobito9]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
The town where I live has a short but nice urban trail that manages to not be too urban. I've been tempted to hike it at night many times, but by far the most dangerous animal around is people. I'm always worried I'll come up on some meth head hiding his stash or something. I have been out on it a few times in the dark, but never too late or too long. Shame too, because there's lots of wildlife right here in town: owls, raccoons, lots of deer, etc. Just think about the dangers of your particular area and exercise due caution.

#185700 - 06/13/14 08:41 AM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: 4evrplan]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
The town where I live has a short but nice urban trail that manages to not be too urban. I've been tempted to hike it at night many times, but by far the most dangerous animal around is people. I'm always worried I'll come up on some meth head hiding his stash or something. I have been out on it a few times in the dark, but never too late or too long. Shame too, because there's lots of wildlife right here in town: owls, raccoons, lots of deer, etc. Just think about the dangers of your particular area and exercise due caution.

I often hike a stretch of an urban trail at night. Along the way, I wonder if coyotes eat people. So far, they haven't. Truthfully, I'm most afraid of being hassled by the police at night while road walking. They have slowed several times, and a sheriff stopped one time, and then drove on without talking to me. Someone in my HOA complained because I often walk around with a pack. They say I look homeless. People...sighs. How else am I supposed to carry groceries home?

#185705 - 06/13/14 12:53 PM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: Gershon]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
About 20 years ago there was a cross country ski trail near my house. I frequently went on it about 9:00 PM. It was about a 1 hour loop. Several times there was a police cruiser waiting for me when I got back. They never talked to me once they saw that I was on skis. It was near the runway of the airport so there was enough light to see if you knew where the trail went. It was a very enjoyable exercise. There were a few homeless folks camping in the area but they were long term and everyone knew about them and they never bothered anyone.

#189545 - 03/06/15 10:59 AM Re: Hiking at night - is it safe? [Re: ETSU Pride]
Southcove Offline

Loc: CT River Valley
Most of us have probably night hiked to get into an area or site that we couldn't get to because of the drive time to the woods...(for us sometimes the only way to make a weekend trip worthwhile the drive time and gas $$$) LED lights are gamechangers. In NYS where we frequently camp year round, you are legal as long as you are 150+ feet away from a lake or stream, so lots of little night hikes to go check out the water, the stars, getting away from the campfire. Surprising at times how few lumens you need, but other times, how many just to stay on the trail.

Safe,yes; just a bit more concentration/planning is needed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum