Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184705 - 04/25/14 10:03 PM Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I got this idea from some others who did a trip like this, they did not really adhere to 12 items. All that I have invited are experienced bpers from the circle I do some trips with here in CA. I've set the trip for Lassen VNP.
They started by stating there was a 12 item limit and 5lbs. for base weight. It was more for seeing how little they could get by (suffer) with. smile What would you count/not count as part of the 12 items?

So far I have come up with this:
One system can be counted as one item, ie. kitchen/stove, shelter, sleeping.
FAK does not count, stressing safety.
Fisherpersons fishing gear does not count. smile
I hinted that team work would be ok. No tips given. smile
Worn clothes would not count towards the 12.
Camera gear not counted towards the 12.
Is this too easy?
Duane

#184706 - 04/25/14 10:55 PM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Temps expected, time of year, duration of the trip, all questions that would influence my decision. FAK not included what about repair kit, or ditty bag?

#184707 - 04/26/14 12:50 AM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: rockchucker22]
hikerduane Offline

Summer temps, prepared for whatever or get by, one night. Stuff sacks/ditty bags part of packed item, such as stuffed sleeping bag. Good point, I need to slip in a rain anorak. Repair kit/duct tape could be part of a mattress or FAK, knife with fishing gear or the FAK.
Some things have to be a system, such as bringing a tent, do I count the stakes and poles towards the 12 items? smile
I think So far:
Pack
Bivy/shelter
ground cloth
sb liner
sb
mattress
Cooking kit (stove, windscreen, pot, spoon, matches/fire starter
Water filter
water bottle/bladder
jacket
anorak

#184711 - 04/26/14 09:11 AM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Pack
Quilt
Pad
Tarp/poncho
Cook kit
Stove
Down jacket
Hydration
Headlamp
Trekking poles
Beanie

I think I could get by easily on these items.

Anyone else??

#184718 - 04/27/14 10:43 AM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: rockchucker22]
bluefish Offline

If there was no threat of rain I could easily do without the headlamp and a stove here in the Northeast. They'd be replaced by a fire. But that's just for numbers sake, as a small LED is less than a 1/4 oz. I also have strayed away from the tarp poncho concept as my wife took a nasty fall when we were off trail on a nasty piece of terrain going along a creek in Vermont. The poncho obscures the ground at your feet and she stepped on a loose rock and took a header. We use rain jacket/pants, as they work well for wind and cold, as pillow stuffers, and a spare layer.
We've done very sparse equipment hikes when I've hauled in my raft or float tube to fish wilderness ponds in the Adirondacks and Greens. Since we stick with our UL tent w/poles, I could dispense with my trekking poles, but my wife absolutely wouldn't. We've planned on doing at least one stoveless/fireless, cold food only trip this year- the morning coffee is going to be the killer for me. eek
My list has to include a water filter.

#184720 - 04/27/14 01:15 PM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: bluefish]
rockchucker22 Offline

So as for a fire it would matter where your at, above 10,000 feet they don't allow fires here and this year being as dry as it is there will be fire bans in most of the sierras. Location, location, location. Years ago we never used a stove but now that stoves weigh almost nothing, it's so nice to have a warm cup of tea in the morning and evening.

#184721 - 04/27/14 01:42 PM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: hikerduane]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Back in mid-January of this year we had a long thread based on a similar theme, titled 11 items only, in the General Discussion Forum. It provoked a lot of response.

One thing that hampered the discussion was a lack of ground rules for what counted or did not count as 'an item', so you're on the right track in seeking to clarify this. My first post on that thread invoked the idea of the Ten Essentials, which, if taken literally would only allow you to choose (in your case) two more items not on the Ten Essentials list before you had reached your legal limit.

#184722 - 04/27/14 02:49 PM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: aimless]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Suspect it would be more interesting to give them a weight target rather than an item count, which lends itself to the angels - dancing - on - pinhead counts.

Cheers

#184723 - 04/27/14 03:28 PM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

I raised the 11 item thread back in Jan. They were unable to abide by that from what I heard.
Our group can be pretty light, not sure we all could be at say 8 lb. base weight, plus not sure all have a scale to check. If we all met at the TH before we started, I could use a scale. I like that concept better. Thank you for that idea. So far, looks like seven of us.
Duane

#184755 - 04/29/14 12:46 AM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
It's all in good fun so however you can get the guys to ditch their preconceptions and still have a good time--everybody wins.

Was checking the Lassen road conditions today and they're not yet plowed out. Soon, though.

cheers,

#184760 - 04/29/14 08:55 AM Re: Setting ground rules for 12 item o/n bp trip? [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

Rick, I was checking snow conditions last weekend, and its looking up, plowing has already started, they've reached King Creek which is up a ways, but still a few miles from Helen Lake, so we are ok already for where we want to enter at, by Summit Lakes.
Duane

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum