Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184231 - 04/01/14 06:55 PM Missing trail runner found alive after two nights
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
This guy must be in some kind of shape, because he survived two stormy nights in the American River canyon, dressing in running clothes. Wow.

Quote:
Missing runner Robert Root, who disappeared on a Sierra trail on Sunday, has been found Tuesday, according the Placer County Sheriff’s Department.

“I know he’s talking,” said Dena Erwin, a spokeswoman for the department.

The same adverse weather conditions that hampered the search also means a helicopter cannot be used to transport him to an area hospital, Erwin said.

She said Root was found 2.5 miles from the Michigan Bluff trail head, but little other information was immediately available.

Root, 55, of Modesto, went missing during a training run Sunday after he became separated from a group of seven runners. He was last seen 9:30 a.m. Sunday.

Runner found

#184235 - 04/01/14 07:36 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: Rick_D]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I hope they are able to walk him out!

What would be wrong with a a runner carrying a light pack with a few "overclothes"? It wouln't weigh much and would sure help in situations like this.

Also, all members of a party need to look out for each other. Otherwise you just have 7 solo hikers or runners wandering the landscape.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/01/14 07:37 PM)

#184253 - 04/02/14 01:37 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
A new news item this morning in the paper. The guy got lost. He kept going in circles. A GPS would have helped him more than an extra piece of clothing. He did have a runner's jacket. Two nights out in wet-cold just at freezing - amazing survival skills. He said he did isometric exercises all night.

Not sure if it is really feasible to take gear to survive a night out at 30-degreesF while running. He could have carried one of those 3-oz aluminum survival blankets. To me the key issue is that he separated from his group. If it is just a practice run, I would think a buddy system should be used.

A snow border also spent the night out a bit further up the hill. He, of course, had his snow bordering gear. Conditions were a bit colder.

It is good news that two people who could have died survived. Massive search efforts helped. But each fellow had himself to keep him alive until found.

#184256 - 04/02/14 04:02 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: wandering_daisy]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I think this is an amazing survival story. In a later article it appears he found his way out.

He got lost when the slow group stopped and he decided to run forward to the faster group. Would we criticize him if he ran alone and got lost? Maybe, but many like hiking alone and it could happen to them.

It's too bad we probably won't hear the whole story. Hopefully they don't charge him for the search.

#184258 - 04/02/14 08:33 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: Gershon]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have hiked in that area and it is easy to take a wrong turn. It is very vegetated and hard to see far to orient. Every time there is a fire in that terrain, many side roads and trails are made and none with signs. There was a major fire last year. Given the confusing trails breaking from the group was probably not the best decision. But the fellow was an amazing survivalist! The weather here has been horrible the last few days - rain/snow and temperature hovering around freezing. Yosemite Valley was covered with snow this morning (4000 feet). Snow went down to 3000 feet. An inch of rain fell in my neighborhood. And it was windy.

#184260 - 04/02/14 09:53 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: wandering_daisy]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
What is interesting about the snowboarder is that he had a split board so in effect he had a pair of snowshoes once he took the board apart. Very helpful under theses conditions.

Boarder found

#184261 - 04/02/14 10:19 PM Re: Missing trail runner found alive after two nights [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Couldn't have conjured a worse set of conditions to endure with scant clothing and gear--wet and in the 30s, then snow. He kept his wits, did the right things to survive the night, and somehow made his way back to the trail after not one, but two nights. These incidents basically never turn out well, except when they do.

To add unneeded drama, the area isn't all that far from where Barbara Schoener was killed by a mountain lion while trail running.

See, it's not all THAT urbanized out here.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum