Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183922 - 03/18/14 11:09 AM BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ??
Pinnah Offline

Hey folks,

Looking for input on any of the above 2 persons tarp/tents.

I already have a basic tarp and larger MegaMid. I'm definitely looking for something like the above: full coverage to the ground (not a basic tarp), small foot print, pitchable with standard treking poles.

Use will be for solo or light 2 person trips in New England. Heavy rain, high winds and ability to fit into tight places in our tight woods are all things I need. Very aware of the issues with condensation with this style tent. This will see occasional winter use.

Leaning heavily towards the BetaMid but am curious about the others. Not finding many reviews of the Appy Trails.

#183924 - 03/18/14 01:12 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Pinnah]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Which Shangrila? I have the 2 and 3 models, tarp only. No experience with the others.

Cheers,

#183925 - 03/18/14 01:17 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Rick_D]
Pinnah Offline

I'm sorry. Should have clarified.

Looking at the Shangri-la 2.

Weird behavior on the Go-lite web site. If I navigate through form their home page, the Shangri-la 2 is the only one I can find. I can get to the web pages of teh 3 and 5 via google though. Regardless, yes, only considering the 2.

#183927 - 03/18/14 01:31 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Pinnah]
Rick_D Offline

FWIW the GoLite site is always an adventure.

Shangrila 2 is spacious for one but I'd not rely on it for two in long bouts of heavy weather--might be on the tight side.

In its favor, it's easy to pitch and quite rugged compared to a lot of lightweight shelters. Haven't had it in much wind, so can't comment on that. The 3 is a great two-person shelter and frankly, not much heavier than the 2 (again, just the canopy). It handles wind very well but requires relatively a lot of space to set up.

Cheers,

#183935 - 03/18/14 10:56 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Rick_D]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I've seen the shangri-la 2 - I own a shangri-3. While you can't officially put up a shangri-la 3 with a trekking pole, You can manage it very well with about 12 to 18 inch "pole extender" - which amounts to a cut piece of old-school aluminum tent pole that you stick onto the end of your trekking pole. If you
want something a bit bigger than the 2, you could try the 3 and set it up this way.

Lots of other floorless options out there though too, depending on what you want to spend. you can try zpacks if you have a relatively high budget wink Six moon designs lunar duo might
also suit you.

If you're not set on setting up with trekking poles, look at the tarptent scarp2, I can reccomend it from experience for doing well with two big guys in heavy weather.
Browse my pictures

#183945 - 03/19/14 01:44 AM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Pinnah, is that you, Dave?

#183973 - 03/19/14 05:27 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: TomD]
Pinnah Offline

Rick, can the Shangrila 2 be easily pitched above the ground like the MegaMid and BetaMid can (add 6" chord loops on tie outs)?

Tom, yes it's me. Only one person dumb enough to use "pinnah"!!!! wink From TTips yes? You had the ?Atomic? boots? Based on your avatar, any connection to Mountain Tools of PG Outdoor? Fond memories of Monterey but the skiing wasn't as good as NH!

Phat, thanks to the pointer to the Scarp. I'm pretty set on a floorless single wall with a small foot print compared to my aging MegaMid.

#183974 - 03/19/14 05:46 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Pinnah]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Hi Dave! Thought that might be you from your reference to NE. Welcome aboard. Yes, you've got a great memory. I sold my skis though, just wasn't using them enough. Too bad about TTips, maybe someday someone will resurrect it.

I see you asked on VFTT as well. You may want to ask on Trailspace, too.

There wasn't much snow around part of the country this year (SoCal) until the very end of the season, so no winter trip for me this year, I'm afraid.

ps. I thought "Pinnah" was a reference to 3 pin bindings until I did a Google search for you and caught the real reference.

Nope, no connection to Mountain Tools. The jacket is a North Face I picked up on eBay a few years ago.

Edited by TomD (03/19/14 05:51 PM)

#183975 - 03/19/14 06:40 PM Re: BetaMid vs Shangrlia vs Appy Trail vs ?? [Re: Pinnah]
Rick_D Offline

Yes it can. Have never had any cause to pitch it flush to the ground (maybe it brings good weather or something?) and it would be a lot more snug pitched that way. Anchor straps are pretty long and adjust in length, so setup and tensioning are relatively easy. I use adjustable trekking poles for support (unlike the SL3, the 2 doesn't ship with poles).

Cheers,

ETA here's a pic.

Shangrila 2

Edited by Rick_D (03/21/14 12:12 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum