Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183803 - 03/13/14 02:19 PM Tent Footprint
dylansdad77 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Has anyone ever tried using lightweight painter's tarp as a tent footprint? I spent about $5 on a small roll at Home Depot, folded it in half in each direction and taped the corners. It weighs 1/3 the weight of my existing footprint. Have yet to bring it out on the trail.

Any thoughts?

#183805 - 03/13/14 02:34 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: dylansdad77]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
How long a plastic painter's drop cloth will last as a footprint depends on the thickness. The thinner it is the lighter it will be to carry, but also the more vulnerable to damage and the more quickly used up and disposed of. I use a plastic 3 mil footprint, cut to size, under my car camping tent, which helps to keep the bottom clean and gives a bit of extra protection. But that is for car camping, where the extra weight and bulk of a footprint is negligible.

If you are taking a footprint on a backpack, then the more fundamental question is: why should your tent floor need a footprint under it?

From my point of view, if it needs a footprint to keep from leaking, then your tent is not very reliable, either because of age and wear or poor materials and workmanship. If the tent floor is watertight, then usually a bit of care in removing sharp objects from the ground where you pitch it ought to maintain it in good shape. In my opinion, tent footprints for backpacking don't justify their weight, no matter how light they are, so that personally, I do not carry one with me.

Edited by aimless (03/13/14 03:08 PM)
Edit Reason: rethought it

#183806 - 03/13/14 03:04 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
What aimless said! I haven't used a "footprint" in years and have had no problems, even with lightweight silnylon floors and a fairly large dog.

EDIT, LATER: I did, in the dim distant past, use a piece of painters dropcloth cut to fit. However, I gave that up about 1995. Yes, it's basically disposable, but with a duct tape patch or two, one did last for a 9 day trip.

If your heart is set on a footprint, check out polycro. This is the shrink-to-fit stuff used in storm window and door kits. It's also sold separately (but more expensively) by Gossamer Gear and Mountain Laurel Designs, among others. It's about the same weight as that painters dropcloth, but far more durable. Many tarpers use them for ground sheets, (you do need one with a tarp) and some claim they've lasted a whole season. With polycro, cut it a trifle larger than you need, because it will shrink, especially in warm sun.

You undoubtedly know this, but for any beginners who might be reading this--the footprint, if you use one, should be about 2 inches smaller each side than your tent. Otherwise it will catch trips off the tent side and funnel them underneath--on top of the plastic!

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/14 05:38 PM)

#183816 - 03/13/14 04:26 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: dylansdad77]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Like others have mentioned, I also have stopped using a footprint for my tent. I find the thin mesh parts break-down before the floor.

I have heard of people using painters drop-cloths, but they don't hold up very well. Tyvek (home insulation cover) and polycryo (window insulation film) are more popular options I have heard of; also available at home depot. I think a few online cottage gear companies sell small sheets of the stuff for this purpose.

#183820 - 03/13/14 11:01 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: BZH]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I don't take a footprint when my tent is on "benign" ground. although a lot of time I'm in a tent, I'm actually in a tent because I'm not really in places where it is all that easy to keep sharp objects from under the tent, so if I know I'm going to
be on rocky ground, I take a piece of tyvek as it's fairly puncture resistent and does protect the floor if my tent.
Browse my pictures

#183965 - 03/19/14 12:23 PM Re: Tent Footprint [Re: phat]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We used a painter's tarp for years. Very lightweight, and it did keep the tent very clean. We actually like the way an oversized groundcloth can provide a kind of "porch" for the tent. Makes it easier to get in and out of the tent without tracking in dirt and debris.

Of course if it rains, you need to pull it in underneath the vestibule, or it just collects rainwater....

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum