Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182362 - 01/29/14 02:23 PM Following
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
We went to Joshua Tree this past weekend (ahhhh, still have issues posting photos...sorry). Made a new connection that still has me blown away. We went with a group and one of the people we gave a ride to was someone who not only went to the same high school as me, but graduated the same year. Never knew him then; it was a big high school.

We get there in the evening and the next morning are wondering what to do; they ask my opinion.... Hmmmmmm Now I've been almost dreaming of doing the 3 pitch "Walk on the Wild Side", so that was the first thing out of my mouth. My new found friend smiles and says "I've led that. I think we can do it with 4 people." As a fall back we could top rope the first pitch. Off we go.

Our timing is perfect and two people are rapping off the climb with no body else in sight. We have the face to ourselves. We divide the tasks up as such; the guy with the most experience leads, next a young, strong but inexperienced outdoor climber will follow trailing a second rope up clipping in the second rope after unclipping the lead rope, third is Patty who will clean the pitch, and last is me to make sure 2 and 3 are properly tied in. He has to throw a rope down to me with this scenario and the route does wander a bit, but between the three of us following, I have the better footwork by far.

Our leader takes his time going up while I belay. After all he is 57. There is no hurry. Things have been slowly coming back to me; my next main goal in climbing is to be the best belayer out there. As he heads up past the first bolt, there is a section where if slips he's going into this cavern to the left of me. So I keep as little slack in the line as I can while feeding him. The balance between impeading the guy and keeping a tight leash on him seems thin, but this section is not the crux of the pitch. I get 3 "watch me's" in total, but the crux seems to be near the top of the pitch near the first bolt anchor. Here he takes a little slide as he gets off route a bit trying to find the best way up. The handholds up there are positively anorexic. But up he gets and sets up an anchor and off we go with following.

"Use the feet, Luke, use the feet" should be the name of the climb. Watching the next climber and my wife is a bit like watching people climbing wearing roller skates. But they both eventually get up and complete their respective tasks admirably. I'm up next. I move up methodically with 3 breaks to plan my attack. This "new" rubber is amazing and leads to some real confidence on the rock. I can't really imagine doing this route in EB's. At the top, I basically smear my way up to the hole in the granite palming fingers pointing down the last couple moves. The leader and I look at each other at the top of the first pitch and we both know we will be doing some trad together. I'm stoked. I have a partner in San Diego. But the middle two in our party were pushed beyond their comfort zones and have taken a long time in the act of climbing. So we all rap off the first belay station and call it a day. Everyone is stoked. We only did the first pitch but what a view; what a climb.

We completed some more fun stuff over the 2 days there. Each day, Patty ended up telling me that THAT was out of my comfort zone. But at the end of each day she also had a smile on her face. wink

#182367 - 01/29/14 09:07 PM Re: Following [Re: skcreidc]
skcreidc Offline

Finally some photo's of the weekends events. Fun was had by all.

Mark leading the first pitch of Walk on the Wild Side

Enjoying himself

Patty making her move to "the" spot

This spot on the face made everyone smile. A little break in the action.

Close up of the better hand and foot holds on the lower section of the route.

Overview of the first pitch of Walk on the Wild Side.

Patty on Mental Physics Crack the next day.

It was all smiles at the end of the weekend. Hope you all had a good weekend too.

Sorry it took me so long to find the url's ... hope you all enjoy the pic's!

#182373 - 01/30/14 12:00 PM Re: Following [Re: skcreidc]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Love the pics! Thank you for sharing.

#182407 - 02/01/14 04:24 PM Re: Following [Re: skcreidc]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
For those who are not familiar with Joshua Tree climbing, the "bandages" on the hands are not bandages - you wrap your hands because the rock is very rough and you jam your hands inside cracks a lot, so the tape prevents your hands from becoming hamburger.

Brings back great memories! Have done both those routes many times.

#182985 - 02/18/14 12:32 AM Re: Following [Re: skcreidc]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
cool stuff! looks like a lot of fun!
Browse my pictures

#183847 - 03/14/14 12:03 PM Re: Following [Re: phat]
skcreidc Offline

Thanks for the comments...I was hoping someone would enjoy it. And I finally figured out how to post photos again.....

#184563 - 04/17/14 02:20 PM Re: Leading [Re: skcreidc]
skcreidc Offline

Went back this past weekend and led the first and third pitch of Walk on the Wild Side. I felt tired and thrashed from all the cracks we been working on, so inside I wasn't sure I really wanted to lead it. Once I put my feet to the rock, however, I felt fine and it went very smooth. Thanks again Wandering_Daisy for the inspiration, and to C4 stealth for the stickyness.

Chris

edit: Sorry, didn't bring a camera.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum