Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183228 - 02/25/14 10:32 AM Recovery
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
As I sit here nursing a sore hamstring, I often wondered what others do to recover from a hard bike ride, or an insane hiking trip.. When you guys/gals get muscle soreness how do you recover? I usually eat a lot of protein, rest, drink green tea, hot bath with an adult beverage, occasionally I'd take ibuprofen.

Lately I been looking at KT Tape, muscle creams, etc. Anyone else got routine for recovering after tough hard physical activities? And I do stretch before and after, but sometimes it's still inevitable when you push yourself like never before.

Edited by ETSU Pride (02/25/14 10:34 AM)

#183229 - 02/25/14 11:12 AM Re: Recovery [Re: ETSU Pride]
jimmyb Offline

Warm moist heat from a hydrocollator does the trick for me. That damp heat really penetrates the tissues and loosens up the muscles. Works great on every thing from stiff necks to pulled muscles. I don't take pain killers so this is a great alternative.

jimmyb

#183232 - 02/25/14 01:53 PM Re: Recovery [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, all the medical and physical therapy experts now recommend ice, not heat. The standard treatment prescribed for athletic injuries is RICE: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

My youngest son, the surfer, got lectured for using heat after messing up his back surfing, made worse by too much weight lifting before he recovered from the original injury (he got lectured for that, too!). We spent last weekend trading stories of similar back problems. Mine started 30 years ago when I was substituting for him on his paper route, and didn't have sense enough not to try to carry all the Sunday papers in one batch. I still have to do the exercises frequently to keep my back from hurting. Back in the early 1980's, heat was the recommended treatment, but that changed to cold by the middle of that decade.

Heat increases swelling and retards healing, while ice does just the opposite and also reduces pain. Of course don't leave the ice on too long, or you'll have frostbite to contend with along with the original injury! 20 minutes at a time is the maximum.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/25/14 01:54 PM)

#183233 - 02/25/14 01:56 PM Re: Recovery [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Thanks for that piece of information, OregonMouse.

#183236 - 02/25/14 05:54 PM Re: Recovery [Re: ETSU Pride]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Since I've switched to a vegan diet, I'm amazed at the difference. I never get sore, although I do eventually get fatigued. Recovery after walking is much quicker than it used to be on diet that included meat.

I've given my subconscious a new set of ground rules to work by. It's simply to walk in a way that won't cause injury. Then I don't think about my pace or technique at all. This has increased my pace without increasing fatigue.

There is a certain amount of satisfaction to "pushing yourself like you've never pushed yourself before," but it is not the solution to long term success if your goal is to ride fast without expensive medical procedures along the way.

Excess protein is converted to fat, and along the way leeches calcium from the bones causing osteoporosis in the distant future. It is almost impossible to get too little protein with a varied diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and nuts. A person only needs about 20% of their calories from protein, and that number has been doubled twice for a factor of safety since the original studies.

In order to pull a hamstring, you are most likely pedaling too slowly (pushing.) This can cause knee problems and severe back problems. They used to recommend pedaling at around 90 rpm give or take the conditions at the time. If you want to learn to "spin" get yourself a set of bicycle rollers like these: http://amzn.com/B000BT8VPG. They will seem impossible to ride at first, but they will make you a smoother and faster rider with about 15 minutes of practice a day. Do not get rollers that attach to the rear wheel.

As for your hamstring, if you were in Colorado, I'd recommend some green medicine, but since you aren't, I'd recommend 2 weeks of rest. Your muscles will be stronger after two weeks than they are now.

#183251 - 02/25/14 11:37 PM Re: Recovery [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

goodjob Agree icing is best immediately after the strain or injury to reduce the swelling. After swelling has dissipated I find the heat very useful in loosening tight muscles. As I understand it heat is good for blood flow and that greatly increases healing of the torn muscles. After a broken wrist the heat was also useful to loosen tissue to recover movement of atrophied tissue from being in a cast. Any way I sometimes take doctors advise with a grain of salt and use what works for me. Of course it may not work for others. smile

jimmyb

#183258 - 02/26/14 08:55 AM Re: Recovery [Re: Gershon]
ETSU Pride Offline

Man, when I got clipless pedals for the first time, I never realized how crappy of a pedaling I had been doing..... Clipless pedals changes the game for cycling, in my opinion. Least it did for me..

#183263 - 02/26/14 09:49 AM Re: Recovery [Re: ETSU Pride]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I have a professional massager that I apply to sore muscles that really seems to speed recovery. I'd be careful about applying this to a pulled muscle, but I love it for sore muscles.

Mine is an older model of one of these that I got from a chiropractor who was upgrading.

I've only tried one made-for-home-use massager and it just wasn't powerful enough, but there may be a decent model out there. I haven't researched them that much.

#183352 - 02/27/14 02:25 PM Re: Recovery [Re: ETSU Pride]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I do not have to recover from any insane hiking trips, because I quit doing those long ago! I do not over-push on bike rides or on "training hikes", because at my age, healing from getting hurt takes too long.

It depends if you just stressed the hamstring or truly injured it. I injured a hamstring about 10 years ago (did the splits on a slick rock) and it took months to recover so I could even walk right. It still is the first leg to get sore and I still get twinges of pain at the spot where I think I tore something where it attaches (upper leg area).

#183383 - 02/28/14 01:11 PM Re: Recovery [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I'm a big fan of "Tiger Balm" for sore muscles. I carry one of these tiny tins of it in my FAK:

You don't need to use a lot, it has a strong odor (I call it Panther Piss), and it burns a bit (don't get it in your eyes), but the stuff works like magic on sore muscles.

"You want to go where?"

#183386 - 02/28/14 05:30 PM Re: Recovery [Re: billstephenson]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Tiger Balm works for migraines, too. But the term "Panther piss" isn't far off, so some would rather have the migraine. Just rub it on the temples.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum