Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183059 - 02/20/14 02:38 PM Best seams to use sewing silnylon
jimmyb Offline

I want an UL set of no frill rain paints. Lite, packable and I don't care if they breath. What seam would be best for sewing them and then of course sealing the seams... a flat fell seam, a regular flat seam or something else. As always thanks for any help you can offer.

jimmyb

#183065 - 02/20/14 06:37 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I use a flat-felled seam wherever possible. It is stronger, neater and is less likely to open up under tension. It is also easier to seal and will stay sealed longer than will a straight seam because there is less tension on the thread holes.

#183070 - 02/20/14 09:34 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: Pika]
jimmyb Offline

thanks Pika, very helpful.

jimmyb

#183093 - 02/21/14 12:39 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Flat felled seams are definitely the best....but I want to see you do it on a pair of rain pants.

#183106 - 02/21/14 08:37 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: finallyME]
jimmyb Offline

Yes, FinallyME, after thinking about it, it could be difficult to get down the full length of a pant leg cry I was looking at jacket sleeves made with a French seam and that looked like a decent option. What seam would you suggest?

On another note I found I am in the market for another machine. The HD one I use for canvas, Heavy webbing ect. just wont cut it for doing the light weight fabrics so I made the mistake of looking at some machines at the Janome dealer. Boy they had some reeeally nice stuff. Makes my single stich HD machine look like a cinder block...at least until you go to stich 8 layers of Marine Sunbrella. smile

Edited by jimmyb (02/22/14 09:31 AM)

#183107 - 02/21/14 08:51 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you work carefully and slowly, you can use a flat-felled seam in the leg of wind or rain pants or shirt sleeves. Practice a little ahead of time using scrap fabric. It will seem awkward and clumsy at first, "sewing in the hole", but it gets easier the more you do.

#183138 - 02/22/14 11:32 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: Pika]
jimmyb Offline

Well Im willing to give it a try. Pant leg dia. I assume will be the deciding factor...besides sewing skill of course. Easy to cut a sample and experiment with some cheap fabric.

Thanks again guys, jimmyb

#183149 - 02/23/14 04:23 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Seems like it would be fine to do a mock felled seam on the inseam (and much easier). Unless you're making your rain pants really snug, there should not be a lot of stress on that seam.

#183171 - 02/24/14 09:13 AM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Like everyone said...give it a go. It just won't be easy. But then again, you might be better than me. If that fails, just do a normal straight stitch and turn inside out. You can also do a straight stitch, and then hand stitch the flat fell part.

Last year for our tax return, I got my wife a Pfaff Ambition 1.0. It has been a dream, except it won't do supper heavy stuff. Sometimes I wish I had a heavy duty machine. I have my brother on the lookout for me. He is a sewing machine dealer and got us the Pfaff at wholesale.

#183179 - 02/24/14 10:08 AM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: finallyME]
jimmyb Offline

I am more concerned about sealing the seems as Im using silnylon and I cant seam tape them so I want as few stich holes as possible thru to the outside. I see many pieces of clothing that are simply a straight stich with an overstich on the edge like a serger type stiching. The new machine I just bought has that stich available and I believe that would be pretty strong and easiest to seal. Any thoughts?

I have a HD walking foot machine that I bought for canvas work and there is a Huge difference when sewing the heavy stuff. It will simply hammer through stacks of material with seemingly no effort. However it just cant handle the fine fabrics with any finesse. That's why I bought the regular home machine. The pfaff looks like a really nice machine...a little out of my budget though. I ended up with a Janome 7330 from a local dealer. The reviews were very good and it seems to have just enough stiches and automation for me now. Hope I made a wise choice. When your bro finds you a HD machine I think you will be very happy having both.

jimmyb

#183190 - 02/24/14 02:00 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Just a thought to consider...

Rain SKIRTS have ben used by some ultralighters and would be easier to sew. To see if this could work for you, start with a plastic trash bag. If you bought the kind with a drwastring top, you could just cut open the bottom. The skirt would actually allow some breathing that silnylon pants can't. A few hikes in the rain would allow you do decide if a rain skirt is for you, from there decide whether to keep the plastic bag or sew a silnylon skirt. This may even help you decide whether or not non-breathable pants are for you.

#183230 - 02/25/14 11:42 AM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: CamperMom]
jimmyb Offline

Thanks CM. We started out thinking about the skirts but in a colder rain we thought the added protection of the full length pants might be better for the little extra weight. We are using precip pants over long underwear for winter hiking which is working great for us but we could do better weight wise in the 3 seasons. Im hoping the non breathable aspect will not be too bad on the lower half. If so I can hem them to the knees at about board short level and try that, or put them into service while sailing. Light weight would be better if one of us ever ended up in the water God forbid. Anyway its all just a cheap experiment at this time. Just a few bucks for materials and my time honing sewing skills. Thanks for your reply.

jimmyb

#183234 - 02/25/14 02:00 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have no problem with non-breathable (silnylon) rain pants. If there is sweating, it will be around the waist and hips, and you might want to provide some ventilation there.

The only problems I have is when it's warm and wet and I'm actively hiking. If it's warm, I leave off my rain jacket and pants and just get wet, since my body heat will dry my nylon hiking pants and shirt (or my baselayer top) in 15-20 minutes. When it's warm, even breathable rain gear produces a sauna effect that leaves me wetter than the rain. YMMV, of course.

Definitely use a flat fell seam for the crotch even if you don't for the sides. As you probably know, cheap trousers inevitably give way in that area first!

#183775 - 03/12/14 04:52 PM Re: Best seams to use sewing silnylon [Re: jimmyb]
jimmyb Offline

Follow up on my Silnylon rain pants project.

Having no better alternative we ordered a Green Peppers pattern. I took some cheap scrap material and did a quick and dirty mock up. We both thought the fit was a little to tight so we took some measurements from our preclip pants and also managed quite nicely to convert the pattern into a two piece pattern instead of a 4 piece pattern. That made it possible to eliminate the two large outside seams. Less places to seal, leak or both.

The choice of a flat felled seam worked very well on the inseam of the pant leg. It is a little slow in sewing and I had help from my better half in managing the material after the needle but the result was a beautifully even set of top stiches. I was very happy. I will finish the 2 legs together with a FF seam as well.

Taking a break for dinner and back for more on the other pant leg. Will have to decide on elastic for waist hem. The pant legs are cut a little wider than straight leg jeans and will get a small Velcro cinch like a jacket wrist closure in case for some reason we want to cinch them tight. Pants should come in at about 3 oz per pair.

thanks to all who posted with help on this small project. It has been very helpful.

jimmyb

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum