Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182900 - 02/13/14 10:05 PM 2014 AT thru hike gear video
Subie Love Offline

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Hello! Just wanted to post a video of an overview of all the gear I'll be taking on my thru hike. I'll be starting the approach trail on April, 3rd. I'll be posting updates from the trail also so if anyone is interested, feel free to subscribe to my channel. Thanks for watching! smile

Edited by Subie Love (02/13/14 10:08 PM)

#182925 - 02/14/14 10:56 PM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: Subie Love]
jimmyb Offline

I like the cameo walk on by the pup! smile Good luck on your hike.

One thing I don't often see on lists is any kind of mosquito protection. The gloves will be nice to have if it gets nasty but what about a head net or bug dope. We like to hike parts of the trail here in NE and there can be times when mosquitos are unbearable. At least for myself, the little monsters love to bite me. Few years back on a trip to the Everglades we picked up some head nets that were life savers. I keep mine in my pack now in summer, at under and ounce it keeps me from going insane. Im trying to use less bug dope as it likes to destroy gear and probably me too. cry

jimmyb

#182929 - 02/15/14 08:58 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: jimmyb]
bluefish Offline

This winter has been quite snowy so far which transfers out to a buggy late spring/ summer. The black flies can be so intense as to get you feeling sick. As Jimmy said, something to consider. They can swarm you so bad as to make DEET pointless, as you'll be breathing them. Without a head net it can be brutal. I've used a buff to at least keep them out of my ears. They really come in to play from Ma. north. On the same note, the trails being wet and boggy will make your socks a little critical. I've found the Darn Toughs to pill and become more likely to produce hot spots than the Smart Wools. They may last longer in the heels, but don't perform as well in the wet, at least for my wife and I. You've picked out some good stuff, looking forward to trail reports. thanks

#182932 - 02/15/14 10:07 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: bluefish]
Subie Love Offline

Thanks guys! I'm bringing Off but a bug net is a great idea and they hardly weigh anything. I'll pick one up soon!

#182936 - 02/15/14 11:48 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: Subie Love]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I can't see the link for the video.

#182939 - 02/15/14 02:21 PM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: rockchucker22]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Be warned that DEET doesn't do much for flies. Nor does permethrin sprayed clothing. (Been there, done that, hundreds of bites through permethrin sprayed base layer top.) In the absence of a suit of armor, nylon (woven, not knit) shirt and pants, long pants and sleeves and bug net are definitely needed.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/15/14 02:21 PM)

#182943 - 02/15/14 02:57 PM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: OregonMouse]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Be warned that DEET doesn't do much for flies. Nor does permethrin sprayed clothing. (Been there, done that, hundreds of bites through permethrin sprayed base layer top.) In the absence of a suit of armor, nylon (woven, not knit) shirt and pants, long pants and sleeves and bug net are definitely needed.
I swear noseeums like deet, it's like whisky to them.

#182990 - 02/18/14 02:30 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: Subie Love]
ndwoods Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz CA, Sierra Hiker
Nice video thanks!
I have used the polycro ground sheets for several years including the JMT and I love them!
Have a great trip!
Dee

#183023 - 02/19/14 11:43 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: ndwoods]
Subie Love Offline

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I can't see the link for the video.

Does this work?

youtube

Originally Posted By ndwoods
Nice video thanks!
I have used the polycro ground sheets for several years including the JMT and I love them!
Have a great trip!
Dee

Thank you! I will definitely be bringing it. It will come in handy when I'm staying in shelters to protect my sleeping pad.

#183025 - 02/19/14 02:53 PM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: Subie Love]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Loved your gear video and I think you've made great choices for almost all your gear. Made me think about my choices, as I'm fortunate to get to 12lbs for my base pack. I've been thinking of a different setup for the clothing, probably a lightweight t for sleeping, Capilene 3 long-sleeved top for hiking, and perhaps another lightweight to middleweight smartwool top like you've suggested. I also considered a down vest for around camp which could double as a pillow, but I'm probably doing sections of the Continental Divide Trail which has greater elevation.

You sure you need both the heavier wool top and the down jacket? As you suggest, one of them will probably go, but I'd keep the longjohns for sleeping and for the occasional cool morning if you send back your pants. Does the Cuben jacket go over all your gear layered up? Just some thoughts.

Good luck on your hike!

#183047 - 02/20/14 08:44 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: wildthing]
Subie Love Offline

Originally Posted By wildthing
Loved your gear video and I think you've made great choices for almost all your gear. Made me think about my choices, as I'm fortunate to get to 12lbs for my base pack. I've been thinking of a different setup for the clothing, probably a lightweight t for sleeping, Capilene 3 long-sleeved top for hiking, and perhaps another lightweight to middleweight smartwool top like you've suggested. I also considered a down vest for around camp which could double as a pillow, but I'm probably doing sections of the Continental Divide Trail which has greater elevation.

You sure you need both the heavier wool top and the down jacket? As you suggest, one of them will probably go, but I'd keep the longjohns for sleeping and for the occasional cool morning if you send back your pants. Does the Cuben jacket go over all your gear layered up? Just some thoughts.

Good luck on your hike!

I get cold pretty easily so I'm going to bring both just in case. The jacket will fit over both midlayers but not the down jacket. I don't plan on hiking in down jacket so it should be ok.

#183087 - 02/21/14 10:59 AM Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video [Re: Subie Love]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"I get cold pretty easily so I'm going to bring both just in case. The jacket will fit over both midlayers but not the down jacket. I don't plan on hiking in down jacket so it should be ok."

When I hiked the AT with a late Feb start, a windshirt plus synthetic puffy vest was good for me during the "on trail" part. Perhaps a similar vest (mine's a thermawrap) would be lighter than whatever wool upper you're using (I've not seen the video).

I'm hiking for a month on the AT with a friend who will be thru-hiking, starting in three weeks. This time I'm doing quite the same thing --- light rain shell rather than windshirt this time, but light vest, and in my case a light down parka, as mid-March it can still get down into the teens at night.

What I found starting late Feb in 2010 was that it was cold wind that can "get to you" while actually hiking. So some ear protection, mittens rather than gloves, perhaps breadbags to keep hands warm from wind --- that sort of thing.

Best of luck on your trip.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum