Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182392 - 01/31/14 12:32 AM Breaking in a newbie to bushwhacking...
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I did a day hike with my long time hiking partner and neighbor, Randy, and our new neighbor, Brad, today out at Hercules Glades Wilderness. Brad's the newbie.

We did about 6 miles in the NE corner of the park. Brad wanted to do a loop on the Pees Hollow trail that was closer to 8 miles but I've been wanting to bushwhack the bottom of the hollows in that section for a couple years now and I managed to sweet talk them into it splitting it up. It's the one section of the park I hadn't ever hiked much. Just enough on the trails that mainly track the tops of the ridges to peek down into a couple of the bigger hollows there.

The bushwhacks we've done with Brad behind our homes are pretty tough. It's just a vicious steep rocky hollow with deep cuts in it and thick as can be with lots of rock and bramble, so Brad has been a little put off with Randy and I's bushwhacking and has been looking for some easier trail hiking. I understand that, but the really good stuff at HRW is off trail and it's a lot easier there than what we have in our back yard and there's just no way I can stay on the trails.

So we started at the Lookout Tower and headed north on the trail for about 1/4 mile and then headed down into Pees Hollow to find a Spring shown on some of the maps I have. From there we just followed bottom down towards Brushy Creek. A couple miles down the trail crossed the bottom of the hollow we were in and we'd follow it back to the car. It's a steep climb down to the Spring but really pretty easy. We sort of found the Spring, but it wasn't gushing, it was just a little bit of water trickling out of the rocks at the bottom of the hollow, but it's also the very beginning of where a wet weather creek forms that gets pretty big down further.

Down in this bottom is where Brad began to see the beauty in bushwhacking here. We just meandered slowly down the bottom exploring all the nooks and crannies. It was just incredibly beautiful. In the creek bed there were pools of water and sheets of ice, and ice falls that would appear and then disappear under the rock for hundreds of yards sometimes. There were game trails and huge old trees and fantastic places to set up a camp for a night or two where no one ever goes.

When we reach the trail where it crosses the bottom Brad said to me "Now I understand why you bushwhack. We'd never get to see all that from the trail."

We took the west side of the Pees Hollow trail loop we started on about half way back and before it headed downhill we bushwhacked over the ridge to another trail west of it and took it back to the Lookout Tower, which was a much faster and easier hike.

When we got back to the car we reviewed our route and the trails marked on the maps and GPSs and what we'd seen and Brad now has a different view of hiking and backpacking and trails. He sees it more like Randy and I do.

Trails are a tool, not a boundary. When viewed this way they are like a piece of gear that you use sometimes.

"You want to go where?"

#182395 - 01/31/14 11:40 AM Re: Breaking in a newbie to bushwhacking... [Re: billstephenson]
bluefish Offline

"Trails are a tool, not a boundary."

Love it. Thanks for taking us along , Bill.

#182401 - 02/01/14 08:54 AM Re: Breaking in a newbie to bushwhacking... [Re: billstephenson]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Great story Bill. Thanks for sharing! Something tells me you didn't stay within the lines coloring as a child. wink Nice to have gained another partner for your exploits too.

Pees Hollow. How did that get it name or is that tale lost to time?

#182408 - 02/01/14 04:32 PM Re: Breaking in a newbie to bushwhacking... [Re: skcreidc]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By skcreidc
Great story Bill. Thanks for sharing! Something tells me you didn't stay within the lines coloring as a child. wink Nice to have gained another partner for your exploits too.

Pees Hollow. How did that get it name or is that tale lost to time?

Ha! Yeah, I got told I was "Insubordinate" by my teachers in school a lot. I aways laughed at that and I'd tell them I wouldn't be insubordinate if they didn't insist on instructing me to do stupid stuff.

It is nice to gain a hiking partner. Brad's a good guy. He emailed me last night to say he went and did the 8 miles loop on the trail yesterday.

"Pees Hollow" was probably named after a settler who homesteaded it. Most of the bigger hollows, creeks, and mountains here are. There are quite a few that still have family living in the area and a few where the family still lives on the land.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum