Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181763 - 01/08/14 11:33 AM Cannister low limits.
bluefish Offline

Bored, with a pinched sciatic nerve keeping me from working this morning; I decided to run a little impromptu test for my own edification. I boiled 1 liter of water with my MSR Micro-Rocket and MSR Fuel in about 4 1/2 minutes in 7 degree F air temp. The cannister was around 60 when I started (I measured the temp of the can with my elec. tester probes) and I used a flame diverter between the ground and the cannister and a windbreak made of heavy foil wrapped about 3/4 of the way around and 2" from the side of the pot and stove. There wasn't much of a breeze, so wind wasn't much of a factor. I was pleasantly surprised at the very little loss in function. Since this set-up is light and compact, I may very well use it this weekend on an overnight instead of my liquid fuel stove. Has anyone had similar experience? I've been very hesitant to use it in single digits, but it seems as long as the cannister is pre-heated and care is taken to not overheat it, but reflect some heat back to it, it works pretty darn well. Sorry if this is one of those beat to death from 5 years ago topics. smile

#181765 - 01/08/14 01:06 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Can you maybe post a picture of your setup? I'm not completely following what you're doing.

Am confident you know that if you can keep the fuel temp above 50 degrees or so you'll get normal performance from a vapor feed setup. If the fuel gets much below freezing, you'll use the propane fraction of the fuel first, perhaps losing functionality before the canister is empty. Of course there's no way of knowing this while it's burning happily.

Really, it's just a balancing act of capturing enough heat to keep the canister warm but with no risk of getting it hot. The simplicity of a canister-top stove is welcome in winter, when you'd really rather not be fiddling with a complex stove rig.

Good luck with that back! Cold weather seems to trigger all sorts of bodily maladies.

Cheers,

#181766 - 01/08/14 01:27 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I used my Snow Peak Giga Power stove Christmas Eve to simmer dinner in temps in the mid 20F's. I used a hanging windscreen around the stove and part way up the sides of the pot, with the windscreen suspended off of the pot supports by two pieces of wire. I had trimmed it back a little more before using. The windscreen is only around 2.5" in height. With so much open space below it, I was still surprised at how much thermal feedback the canister received. After 15 minutes of use at a simmer setting, the top of the canister was still very touchable by hand and I could feel the coolness of the remaining fuel, which by then was maybe 1/3 full. I have no worries as I've had vintage gas stoves like a Optimus 8 have its fuel boiling and the SRV vent after bringing two pots of water to a boil, way beyond now I see of its capability. Canister fuel cools as fuel is used up. You just need to moniter fuel temps to operate safely.
Duane

#181768 - 01/08/14 01:58 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Leave it outside overnight, then try make you a hot breakfast in the morning.. Then come tell us your result. :)I noticed performance issued with my canister when I slept in backcountry in 17 degrees weather. The first night there was no performance issue as I hiked in, but the next morning......sure did took a little more time to boil hot cocoa. I didn't put it in my sleeping bag nor a wool sock. I foolishly left it in my backpack letting the weather freeze the can.

Edited by ETSU Pride (01/08/14 01:59 PM)

#181770 - 01/08/14 02:23 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've used mine down to 18* F by warming the canister before use--putting the icy (!) canister in my armpit under my insulating jacket and doing a vigorous (!) "keep warm" dance for 10-15 minutes. You also need to keep the canister warm while the stove is burning, because the process of fuel vaporization chills the canister. (Remember "latent heat of vaporization" from high school physics?) Although officially not recommended, I use a windscreen that goes 3/4 of the way around and keep feeling the canister to make sure it isn't overheating. An exploding canister could ruin your day! A pan of warm water in which to place the canister is good, too, except that you somehow have to heat it up first. Although clunky, you may want to put the canister in the foot of your sleeping bag overnight along with your camera and water filter. Warming the canister prevents the more volatile propane from coming out first, leaving a very sluggish canister with nothing but isobutane.

If the temp is consistently below 20*F, you probably want the kind of stove that uses an inverted canister, such as the MSR Windpro II or (if you can find one) Kovea Spider. This configuration turns the canister into a liquid feed, but no pumping required. These have a generator tube which warms and vaporizes the fuel just before it gets to the burner. These inverted canister stoves, I've read, are good down to about zero F. Colder than that, you want liquid fuel. I've decided to invest in the MSR Windpro II not only for cold weather camping but also for group camping since it is much more stable with larger pots than the standard stove that screws into the top of the canister.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/08/14 06:53 PM)

#181773 - 01/08/14 04:55 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: Rick_D]
bluefish Offline

The diverter is a hollow piece of tin with holes in the sides meant to distribute heat evenly. They were commonly used on old gas stoves. I use it to make pancakes and burgers in lightweight frying pans. It does a good job of keeping the canister off the snow. As you can see, it's a very simple set up and the snow mound was used as a windbreak. The canister was near empty, so I'll assume it had the proper proportions of isobutane and propane remaining. I used this stove at 12,500' in the Sierra in Oct. on snow and it worked well at temps in the low 20's-high teens. In the Sierra, I constructed a rock well to place the stove in with snow packed around it. Even though it was very windy, nothing bothered the flame.

Edited by bluefish (01/08/14 05:02 PM)

#181775 - 01/08/14 06:59 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
BZH Online   content

Loc: Madison, AL
High elevation helps canister stoves work at lower temperature.

Your set-up looks pretty simple... and more important... pretty safe. Well done and thinks for the info. The reason this kind of thing isn't discussed more often is because if you get too much thermal feedback, you have built a bomb. People tend to be hesitant about giving advice on the internet which could kill somebody who isn't careful.

A good rule of thumb I have heard is: as long as you can comfortably touch the canister it is safe.

Thanks for posting the pic!

#181777 - 01/08/14 07:43 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: BZH]
bluefish Offline

It is pretty safe! The can never got warm, just stayed cool, not cold. What I like about the can vs. my Whisperlite with its outboard bottle, is it stays in a compact space and you can easily build a windbreak with natural materials. I have seen people suggest cooking in vestibules. I watched a tent burn up , a VE24 and all its very expensive contents destroyed, outside the Harvard Cabin on Mt. Washington. Luckily, the lone occupant scrambled out with a minor burn. Overdid the pumping and priming on his stove and it flared badly. It was very cold and windy, but I was happy with a windbreak around my stove to cook outside.

#181779 - 01/08/14 08:02 PM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
jimmyb Offline

Quote:
I have seen people suggest cooking in vestibules. I watched a tent burn up , a VE24 and all its very expensive contents destroyed, outside the Harvard Cabin on Mt. Washington.

Yeah, not cool Must have been like the big bad wolf with a flame thrower!

jimmby

#181787 - 01/09/14 08:51 AM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: jimmyb]
bluefish Offline

I must admit to doing something near as foolish. From the mid 70's to early 90's I used an Optimus 8r that seemed very innocuous and never flared, especially if you placed the fuel in the warming cup with an eyedropper. One morning in pouring rain, I decided to use the vestibule to make some coffee. The o-ring on the fuel valve failed and it started to flare up from the leak. Luckily I shut it down and it never got worse than a few inch flame that burned out. First and last time for that . I may experiment with some reflectix and use it both as an outer wind break/chimney with the foil still inside and as a cozy for meal re-hydration with some glued on velcro to create an envelope. Once again, not enclosing the stove and canister, just putting a partial windbreak/reflector up. Saves the time clearing and packing snow, or piling rocks. If I make some sleeves in the reflectix I can use snow stakes to hold it in place.

#181806 - 01/10/14 03:15 AM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: bluefish]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I used a Primus Micron at 7500 ft at about 15F with a full small Snow Peak canister and it worked fine for heating water for tea and soup. Not sure how it would have fared if I had run it close to empty. I set it on a piece of blue closed cell foam cut from the familiar foam sleeping pad everyone seems to have had at one time or another. I could see ice forming on the canister as it cooled off while running.

#181821 - 01/11/14 11:42 AM Re: Cannister low limits. [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"If the temp is consistently below 20*F, you probably want the kind of stove that uses an inverted canister, such as the MSR Windpro II or (if you can find one) Kovea Spider."

Serendipitously, I recently bought a Kovea Spider (right off Amazon.com in fact, not like earlier when it was only on eBay).

I did a winter hike/campout on the side of Mt. Rainier last weekend and used it. Some learning curve required; I was trying to run it more full-throttle in inverted mode than I should have, and with temps at about 20F I'm not sure I should have even been inverting it.

But it seems well-built, and makes for a pretty small and light package for a canister type stove. No risk of exploding with the remote canister (for winter I had formerly wrapped copper wire around my snow peak canister stove and ran it up into the flame --- a little dicey and fiddly to setup and maintain, for me at least).

I don't miss my old whisperlite !

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 255 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum