Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#181213 - 12/09/13 05:36 PM Brrrr!
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Our little corner of California dropped to 22 last night (well below the record). This is at sea level; South Lake Tahoe was minus 17(!?!). Weather like this ensures all the area plumbers will be able to make their next couple of boat payments. Still dry as a hunk of jerky, though--cold isn't really the weather we need.

And your neighborhood?

#181214 - 12/09/13 06:25 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
It was 6* this morning in eastern CA, the radio said Tahoe was -20! That reminds me of Gunnison CO temps.

#181215 - 12/09/13 07:25 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: rockchucker22]
jimmyb Offline

We are having typical New England weather. Temps are around freezing with a run of days in the 20's this week. Night time lows reaching into the single digits. Thankfully we have avoided the wintery mess hitting almost everywhere else. We had a dusting of snow and a layering of ice last few days. Tomorrow may bring 1-3 in. of snow.

Precip is OK as long as I don't have to shovel it!

jimmyb

#181217 - 12/09/13 08:52 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: rockchucker22]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Good idea to keep a couple of water taps dripping--that's what I've been doing! The extra water bill is cheaper than plumbers!

Freezing rain is expected here just east of Portland tonight. It might last into Thursday depending on whose weather forecast you consult. Every forecast is different, reflecting the very uncertain conditions out there. The NWS is hedging all bets with "wintery mix" forecast tonight until midday Thursday. Looking at all the other forecasts, I think they're smart to do that. It only takes a tiny amount of freezing rain to turn roads into skating rinks. If it happens, expect Portland to shut down for several days! Nobody here knows how to drive in the stuff, so things become utter chaos out there.

Edited by OregonMouse (12/09/13 08:53 PM)

#181218 - 12/09/13 09:12 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I've seen enough ice storms here in the Portland, OR area over the decades that I don't mess with them. We have groceries enough for a week, a ton of firewood in case the electricity goes out, and an ever-hopeful attitude, because in this situation it can be snowing ten miles away, icing up a mile from here, and plain old rain in our front yard.

#181220 - 12/10/13 09:32 AM Re: Brrrr! [Re: Rick_D]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Twenties at night, thirties in the day with ice here just south of Dallas. I love the cold weather but it's AGAIN taken a big toll on the tree in my nature preserve. I went for a hike after a night of sleet and freezing rain and spent much of the hike crawling under trees that had bent into the trail. Sharpening the chainsaw blade. I do like hiking in cold though.

#181225 - 12/10/13 01:45 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: Rick_D]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
Been kinda weird here. 19F this morning, freezing drizzle on and off the last couple of weeks too. Nothing terrible, but we did have a horrific wind storm a couple of weeks ago. We lost power for a couple of days during that and yesterday because of wet snow taking down trees. We don't have a wood stove at the current place because we don't have fire service, so we have a generator.

#181231 - 12/10/13 06:22 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
We were pretty balmy here today compared to the past few. Hi around 38º and sunny. Not warm enough to melt much snow off though, but enough to wet the roads in the day so they can ice at night.

Schools are still closed and probably will be the rest of the week. We've got freezing rain/snow/rain in the forecast for Friday again.

"You want to go where?"

#181236 - 12/10/13 10:07 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I work away from home all week, just hope things are not froze up on Friday. I put a light on a timer for my water heater pipes and have a thermostat in the insulated pump house that activates a light, which if that burns out, has a light sensor that turns another light on. At least this year I have turned the furnace on during the week, unlike last year to return home to have mice ice skating in the toilet. smile The creek running thru my property has started to get some ice, a sign temps are into the single digits at least. Single digits and lower over the weekend warming up some for this coming weekend, in time for another snow camping trip. Only in the mid 20's two weeks ago when I was out.
Duane

#181237 - 12/10/13 10:33 PM Re: Brrrr! [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Oh man our creek has flooded because of ice every day for the last 5 days. I could have ice skated this morning in the ice pond that formed because of ice damming.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum