Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180940 - 11/24/13 03:24 AM What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas?
Nemeczek Offline

Hey, all. So.. planning a backpacking trip in the spring. When you're passing through a city and you pick up some fuel for your liquid fuel stove, once you've filled up your fuel bottle, there will probably be some fuel left in the can it came in. What do you do with it, or how do you dispose of it? I don't imagine you would carry the can with you.

Edited by Nemeczek (11/24/13 03:32 AM)

#180942 - 11/24/13 08:53 AM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Nemeczek]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
As luck would have it, I am employed as a chemist and spend much of my time analyzing ignitable liquids. White gas and similar products are very similar to the more volatile parts of gasoline.

Mixing it with gasoline won't be a problem. Use it in your lawnmower, car, whatever. Running it straight would actually burn cleaner than gasoline, but if you have a couple of gallons of gas in your tank already it is unlikely you'll notice a difference.

It can be used in liquid fuel cigarette lighters, such as Zippos. Some brands of liquid camp stove fuel are chemically indistinguishable from Zippo lighter fuel.

If you plan on staying in a campground another option would be to spot someone using an old school camp stove and offer it to them. I suspect most camp stoves in campgrounds are propane these days though but you could always try.

#180943 - 11/24/13 01:44 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Nemeczek]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'd mix it in with your cars gas if you can't find someone to give it to. I understand it has a much lower octane rating than auto gas, so be sure to mix with a fuller tank of gas. Don't run it straight in a lawn mover etc. Find a lantern collector to give it too, they'd be glad to get it.
Duane

#180944 - 11/24/13 05:25 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Nemeczek]
Nemeczek Offline

Thanks for the responses, guys. I plan on taking a Zippo with me for that exact reason; to top of up with left over fuel. I'll have an eye-dropper bottle that I'll fill with fuel and just keep the Zippo topped up. Redundancy! I might even just give the remainder back to the retailer to take home or something. Karma, right?

#180945 - 11/24/13 07:46 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Nemeczek]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Camp gas usually comes in a gallon can. Your question indicates you are "thru-hiking" and a gallon is way more than you'd want to carry, your car being no where near.
Am I right?
If yes, you can:
Carry more fuel bottels.
Ask the seller if you can buy "just enough".
Purchase an all fuel stove (my Optimus Nova is one) and fill your fuel bottles at a gas station.
Leave the can for others to fill from.
Most small sellers will work with you. If you are buying from a big store like a Walmart, you leave the can with customer service. A multi-fuel stove makes this really easy. ;-)

Edited by Dryer (11/24/13 08:14 PM)

#180948 - 11/24/13 10:05 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Dryer]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
If thru hiking, I don't think many if any use gas stoves, you can see the issues. The logical and less issue centered fuel would be alcohol. Whatever you're smoking may have to wait unitl meal time when you light the stove, or use matches. If not doing a thru, you should have your fuel already to go when the TH is reached.
Duane

#180956 - 11/25/13 12:54 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: hikerduane]
Dryer Offline

"If thru hiking, I don't think many if any use gas stoves, you can see the issues."

Good point. I'm pretty much Esbit and cookfires (where allowed). Turns out Esbit takes up less room and doesn't spill, but availability can be a problem. Which is why I created the "Altoids Stove" on this website. It fits on the Esbit stove frame and provides an alcohol alternative. Cook fires are easy, leave no trace, and fuel is all around you, again, if suitable for the area. Truth is, I don't cook much when out and only heat water when I do.

#181085 - 12/02/13 07:14 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Dryer]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
So if you don't cook much, what do you eat? I am under the impression that dehydrated food weighs less than hydrated food plus fuel, plus most stoves.
73, Jim
Hansville, WA
KE7IXM

#181088 - 12/02/13 07:30 PM Re: What To Do With Unused Naphtha/White Gas? [Re: Jim M]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
So if you don't cook much, what do you eat?

Not much. grin Actually, fruit, packaged stuff, granola bars, tortillas, pouch prepared foods (chicken/fish/etc) to put in/on the tortillas, sausage, jerky, cookies, crackers, actually quite a lot of things don't need cooking or heating. If I heat anything it's to boil water for ramen or rice or the like. I hike mostly desert and water is at a premium.
If kayak camping or hiking near water, I'll cook more. I'd still rather leave the weight of stove/pots out of the pack.
Just me. wink

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum