Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180750 - 11/14/13 01:13 PM Stretching Feeling in Foot?
Nemeczek Offline

Hey, guys. So, life has been too busy to hike often in the last few years. I just recently picked up a pair of Lowa Ranger GTX boots a week or two ago. They are INCREDIBLY comfortable and supportive for me. I usually wear very unsupportive dress shoes and dress boots, and I have relatively flat feet. I don't have fallen arches, but they do cause discomfort sometimes. When I'm walking in supportive shoes (like these new boots), there is a feeling of tension through the middle of my foot. It's like the feeling you get when you stretch your legs; it just feels like there's tension there. It doesn't cause me any pain, but it does feel like there is tension. If I walk around with these boots for a while, do you think that will go away? Are my feet just not used to having such support and they need to adjust?
Thanks

Carver

Edited by Nemeczek (11/14/13 01:14 PM)

#180754 - 11/14/13 03:20 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: Nemeczek]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
In my experience small annoyances in footwear get worse the longer you wear the shoe. A stiff boot can stretch out and relax a bit as you wear them, but it sounds like this shoe just does not fit you. My understanding is that it is now pretty much disregarded that all people need a shoe with "supportive arches". What you need is a shoe that fits your foot. I don't think your feet should have to adjust to the shoe. You should find shoes that fit your feet.

Also, many people around report having a lot of problems with waterproof boots. They keep the water in your boot (from sweat) as well as they prevent external water from getting in. Moisture and heat cause blisters.

#180756 - 11/14/13 03:53 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: Nemeczek]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, I have to agree with BZH, these shoes may not feet your feet quite right.

On the other hand, if you seldom or never have worn shoes with arch support then they may feel different for awhile, but you may get used to them. I know several people who've had foot problems and doctors told to purchase arch supports. They too spent years in shoes with no support at all and that caused serious problems for them.

They all said that when they first started wearing them the supports felt like "Golf Balls" in their shoes, and it took awhile to get used to them, but wearing them did cure the problems they were having with pain.

I'd wear them on a longer walk and see how you do because BZH is right, if they start hurting your feet on a backpack trip it will only get worse on you.

"You want to go where?"

#180758 - 11/14/13 04:45 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: Nemeczek]
jimmyb Offline

From one flat footer to another- I have struggled with this same issue. All the foot wear that is high/supportive in the arch really digs into my foot causing that golf ball feeling described above. I could never get myself to follow thru with a pair of shoes that I did not feel 100% happy with in the store. I have literally tried on dozens of shoes/boots over the years and can tell before standing up what will fit my feet well. The only two brands that I have found to feel really nice on my relatively flat feet are Vasque and Merrell. For some reason just about any pair of their footwear feels awesome from the first day on. I have never "broken" a pair in before a long hike. At least for me they have to feel good from the start. Keep in mind I don't have any foot problems I have to deal with

I just purchased a new pair of Merrell foot wear and opted for the next thicker insole that they offer and it was a big improvement in cushioning.

good luck, jimmyb

#180775 - 11/15/13 02:14 AM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: jimmyb]
Nemeczek Offline

Thanks a lot for the advice. I went on a 5k hike today in my boots. Sometimes, it feels almost like that "burn" you get in your muscles when working out, like muscle fatigue or something. I'm thinking it may be due to inactive feet (current college student). There was no pain perse, but I get the feeling my feet are just not used to such support. I'll give the boots a while longer before I decide to try a different insole to see whether it is just my feet, or the fit.

#180785 - 11/15/13 03:16 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: Nemeczek]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Glad to hear you did the walk. I really don't know what to say about the "Burning feeling".

I suspect you're stretching your tendons but I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing for you. I do know that those who suffer from Plantar Fasciitis are often prescribed Orthotic Supports, and those are the ones that often feel like golf balls to them.

Our local Wal-Mart has a Dr. Scholl kiosk you stand on that analyzes your foot and then recommends an insole. You might look into that and give it a shot if you find positive reviews on it.

You can also try other aftermarket insoles. Several members here give "Superfeet" high marks. I've never used them, but I have used a few of the kind you can buy at Wal-Mart and the ones I bought were still better than those that came with the shoes.

I have to mention that over the past few years I've noticed that shoemakers have been putting cheaper insoles in their shoes and shoe sellers have been recommending you purchase their aftermarket insoles. Even Merrell has done this with their lower price ranges shoes.

"You want to go where?"

#180787 - 11/15/13 04:18 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I guess so many folks use aftermarket insoles or orthotics that the shoe manufacturers don't think it's worth making good insoles any more, since many end up in the trash. I support Bill's recommendation to try different insoles to come up with ones that feel good to you.

I developed plantar fasciitis two years ago and was off the trail for almost a year. I still have to stretch the plantar fascia and my achilles tendons several times every day. I strongly recommend this as a preventive measure. Just stretch very gently so you don't tear the fascia! I also use the green Superfeet which really help my weird feet. They definitely aren't for everyone, though.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/15/13 04:19 PM)

#180791 - 11/15/13 06:44 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: OregonMouse]
jimmyb Offline

Just curious OM what is it that brought on the Plantar fasciitis? Do you have a high or low arch. I am wondering if flat feet like mine are prone to problems down the road...or trail as it may be.

jimmyb

#180792 - 11/15/13 06:50 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: jimmyb]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
It was several thing in combination: Lack of supportive insoles. I have weird feet and need a high arch support plus stability control to keep from pronating. Pushing too hard to get in shape on steep downhill, on pavement. And, obviously, not stretching.

#180803 - 11/16/13 12:36 AM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: OregonMouse]
Nemeczek Offline

Thanks again, everyone. OM, I will take your advice since I too have "weird" feet, and I'll start stretching and taking care of them to prevent any further escalation. Being only 21, I don't want to risk permanent injury at this age because I didn't stretch.

#180818 - 11/17/13 09:57 PM Re: Stretching Feeling in Foot? [Re: Nemeczek]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Does the college you attend have a medical school?

If so, they may have a podiatrist(sp?? - a foot doctor) on staff who'd like to use you for practice for their students- and answer your question about whether or not this is a good thing or not.

Ditto if you play a sport - the athletic trainer might spare you 10 minutes.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum