Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180424 - 10/31/13 02:05 PM Wolverine reintroduction possible?
Ckurz Offline

Loc: Florida
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_22818033/lets-welcome-back-wolverines-colorado

90 percent of my time spent backpacking is used for wildlife viewing. How about this soon to be reintroduction of the wolverine population in the Rocky Mountains. I'm going to have to give the Rockies a visit.

#180428 - 10/31/13 03:38 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: Ckurz]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are supposedly a few out here in the Cascades. They are so elusive, though, that they are extremely difficult to track. A few have been sighted in the northern Washington Cascades. Some insist that there must be a wolverine or two around Mt. Hood, but nobody has seen one.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/31/13 03:42 PM)

#180429 - 10/31/13 04:50 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
One or two would not constitute a self-sustaining population, so if Mt Hood has its wolverines, either there would need to be more like a couple dozen, or else they are just drifting in from somewhere with a surplus and never they successfully find a mate. The latter seems unlikely, if only because where would there be a surplus of wolverines nearby?

#180431 - 10/31/13 05:35 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: aimless]
Ckurz Offline

Wolverines are actually very solitary animals, the only time they interact with each other is during mating or a here or there species encounter. I'm sure that the wolverines that you are speaking about from Mt. Hood are seasonal, for example they only come to that area during the summer or winter. A couple dozen wolverines is going to be very hard to find in any of the continental United States, wolverines are endangered and rare down here, even in Yellowstone where they are most likely most prominent they are not so many. But like the article I posted if a reintroduction were to occur in the Rocky Mountains the government would need to set aside land closed to most activities such as hunting for there conservation and they would probably only introduce 10 or 12 at the most, if that.

#180432 - 10/31/13 08:53 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: Ckurz]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
There is that one lone one close to where I live in N CA, it's had it's photo taken a few times the last couple years, a little north of Truckee, CA.
Duane

#180433 - 10/31/13 09:08 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: hikerduane]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By hikerduane
There is that one lone one close to where I live in N CA, it's had it's photo taken a few times the last couple years, a little north of Truckee, CA.
Duane
I read about that, how neat! Hopefully there is enough to build a larger population.

#180436 - 10/31/13 11:40 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: rockchucker22]
jimmyb Offline

FYI they have been running a great documentary on PBS stations in this area about wolverines in Glacier. A really good program if you get to see it.

There is really no other critter like a wolverine. Just about the toughest bugger going. It would be quite a privilege to see one. As we gear our activities around wildlife also it is one of the few animals we have not checked off our list and unfortunately we probably never will. They thrive in the extremes and will probably stay far from even the most adventurous of thrill seekers.

According to the documentary they are the 3rd most difficult animal to breed after the Panda and Polar bear. I hope any introduction efforts will be a success.

jimmyb

#180438 - 11/01/13 06:08 AM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: Ckurz]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
A few yeas ago they got a picture of one here in Michigan. If I remember correctly I think that it later got hit by a car and was found dead. There have been rumors for years about spottings. Ironic because Michigan is called the Wolverine state even though there probably were never many in MI.

#180439 - 11/01/13 06:56 AM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: GrumpyGord]
Ckurz Offline

Grumpygord, that's funny that you mentioned michigan because I was reading this article the other day about an essay that a biology student wrote while he was at university of michigan about wolverines being in the "wolverine state" he stated that historically wolverines have never actually lived in Michigan but that they have passed through seasonally. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the article again to confirm what I remember.

#180440 - 11/01/13 08:10 AM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: OregonMouse]
Ckurz Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
There are supposedly a few out here in the Cascades. They are so elusive, though, that they are extremely difficult to track. A few have been sighted in the northern Washington Cascades. Some insist that there must be a wolverine or two around Mt. Hood, but nobody has seen one.

According to your name I assume your from Oregon? Every done any backpacking in the wallowa mountains. I just read an article about wolverines in the wallowa mountains in eastern Oregon I believe.

#180442 - 11/01/13 12:46 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: Ckurz]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I've done quite a bit of backpacking in the wallowas. They'd be a great area for wolverines to live in. Even beyond the wilderness boundaries is nothing but semi-wilderness and ranchland (excluding a very few small towns) for at least 50 miles in any direction. btw, the wallowa mtns are well worth hiking in.

#180463 - 11/02/13 07:50 AM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: aimless]
Ckurz Offline

Yea that for sure be great habitat for them

#180670 - 11/11/13 07:27 PM Re: Wolverine reintroduction possible? [Re: GrumpyGord]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Originally Posted By GrumpyGord
A few yeas ago they got a picture of one here in Michigan. If I remember correctly I think that it later got hit by a car and was found dead. There have been rumors for years about spottings. Ironic because Michigan is called the Wolverine state even though there probably were never many in MI.

I remember this. Around the mid 90's if I remember correctly. It was the first ever reported sighting of a wolverine in Michigan. As others mentioned wolverines are thought to have never been native to the state. The state name apparently comes from trappers bringing them down from Canada.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum