Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176635 - 04/21/13 05:00 PM Tips for inexperienced backpacker?
treecritter Offline

Hello! I've been an avid hiker/camper since I was about ten, and took up kayaking while in college. But I have never been backpacking, and want to give it a shot. Unfortunately, I don't know ANYONE who does this sort of thing regularly (Which is unbelievable, since I live in NC - where there are a million places to go!). Anyway, I thought I would start with a short, overnight backpacking trip in one of the state parks or something, then move on to something longer and more strenuous. (Eventually, I would like to spend a week or two hiking part of the Appalachian Trail, but that's a long way off.)
So anyway, two very broad questions for anyone interested in answering: First of all, any tips for picking out a backpack? I've done some research, but there are a lot of conflicting opinions out there for what is best. I tried on this one today:http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/equipment-technical-packs/womens-terra-55-pack.html and so far it's my favorite. I have a small frame (5'4", 115 pounds) and it seems to fit well, and is narrow enough that I can actually move my arms. But I'm hesitant to shell out the money for it yet, until I get the opinion of people who have done this before.
Second question: Aside from the usual, food, tent, sleeping bag, bug spray, first aid kit, etc, what should I take with me? I don't want to overload myself, but I also don't want to overlook a necessity.
THanks in advance for your help!

#176636 - 04/21/13 05:20 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I suggest some general purpose reading first, on this site and/or others.

In particular suggest one (or more) of these three:

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/backpack/get-started.html
http://tinyurl.com/aulxwpl
http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

I like those in particular because they build in some discussion of keeping pack weight down from the very beginning.

There are of course also books out there, and your local library system might well carry one or more of these. I’ve not been through all of these in depth but from modest review recently, I’d suggest one of these:

- Allen and Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book, by Allen O’Bannon & Mike Clelland

- The Backpacker's Handbook, 4th Edition, by Chris Townsend

- The Backpacker's Field Manual, by Rick Curtis

#176637 - 04/21/13 05:45 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
lori Offline

Look at the links on the main page (backpacking.net) of this side, along the left hand column. There are basic gear lists for 3 season backpacking there.

I would recommend that you check the gear lists, and then think about where you are going and check regulations there to see how they want you to handle food storage. Then decide what gear you need to take. Considerations are usually your personal limits on safety vs minimalist (how much gear you are safe taking, vs how little you can get away with taking), and whether or not you need a bear canister and if so, how large/small a canister you need.

I had a NF terra pack - and sold it after a single use, because I quickly learned that the Bear Vault I had to take would not fit inside it without bursting the seams. Fitting a can plus the other gear I had in it was impossible.

Your pack has to be the right size (back frame, not volume) to fit you well and also to hold the gear you are taking (volume, not pack size) and then, it needs to carry that weight comfortably. This is a unique equation for everyone. My unique equation has repeatedly proved out to be the following: 40-50 liters pack depending on how long and where I am going - meaning the bear canister choice I have to make. A small pack frame as I have a measurement of 16.5 inches, and need a waist belt that will adjust to get the weight in the pack on my hips, and off my shoulders. And, I don't want to dangle things off the pack due to brush and off trail travel, so the rest of the gear has to go inside with the can.

Have your measurements determined by an outfitter who can fit you with a pack, or by your own measurement. REI will do this but I found them to be incorrect. You can find instructions for this process to do it yourself on the McHale website. (see below) In my experience REI has tended to size women up a size, resulting in my having a bad experience with medium packs where I needed small. And I have found that the "ultralight" (they are not actually ultralight packs, and weigh 3 lbs ) packs Osprey makes do not fit me at all even when I get the proper size, and make me sore. Which is why it is also important to get a pack that works with your body and not against it. Good return policies are important.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176638 - 04/21/13 05:49 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: lori]
lori Offline

And, I forgot to mention - renting gear such as the pack, tent, bag and pad is highly recommended, especially if you are not sure if you will really like backpacking and want to go again. Lots of outdoor gear stores will rent this plus trekking poles and stoves.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176644 - 04/21/13 10:24 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
BradW Offline

Loc: Yacolt. WA
What about seeing if there is a local Meetup group that does outings? Even if they only organize day stuff, it's an opportunity to meet like minded people.

I'm back to the trails after a very long hiatus, and at the moment only interested in day stuff. Even if I was into overnights, I'd start by putting on single day miles with a pack, weight, etc.

#176646 - 04/21/13 11:02 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: BradW]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
For specific tips, I'd add these:

1. Hike. Go out and hit the trail and see the world. It will get you more interested in backpacking. DOn't wait until you have every single piece of perfect equipment.

2. When you get a new piece of equipment, try it out at home first. Make it work, figure out any odd issues it might have. IT's a lot better to do that in your backyard than 9 miles from the trailhead.

3. Start with easy hikes, and break in your equipment, You have plenty of time for epic hikes. Start with a few overnighters that give you the opportunity to try stuff out when you are still only one day from the trailhead.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#176832 - 05/01/13 09:07 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
bpackengneer Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Do not limit yourself to women's gear. For instance, my wife uses the same pack I do...ULA Circuit. For her, she will try anything. Likewise, I have used a women's sleeping pad in the past.

Edited by aimless (05/13/13 01:06 AM)
Edit Reason: removed link to a site selling merchandise

#176854 - 05/02/13 02:35 PM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: bpackengneer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Ways to gain experience: search for hiking clubs and meetup groups in the nearest population centers to your home. Those are a good way to start. Google or other search engine is your friend! You'll learn a lot and meet new friends and possible potential backpacking partners. If there is an REI or EMS in your area, they often offer classes, as do many clubs.

Don't buy too much too soon, and wait to buy your pack last. Your pack must fit your body, your gear and be comfortable specifically for you with specifically your gear inside. Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit!

#180588 - 11/08/13 04:40 AM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
Peter Sump Offline

Ive been also in that situation, What Ive done is do some research thing of the places I wanna travel and ask some colleagues whom have tried it, Its kind of hassle at first but onwards learn to practice patience.

#180593 - 11/08/13 06:23 AM Re: Tips for inexperienced backpacker? [Re: treecritter]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
As far as tips for picking out a backpack, the best one I can think of is to get the rest of your gear BEFORE you pick out a pack. Then, when you're ready to buy a pack, call the local outfitter, find out when they're least busy with customers, and take all your gear and food for a weekend, plus a liter of water, into the store and start trying on packs. The right pack is the one that fits. You want a pack that is big enough to hold everything inside; don't hang a bunch of stuff on the outside of your pack (especially don't lash a tent, sleeping bag, or sleeping pad to the bottom or back of your pack, unless it's an external frame designed to do that.) Stuff hanging outside will throw the center of gravity way off from what the pack's suspension is designed for, and it will never carry properly.

You also want a sturdy enough suspension that the pack won't collapse under the weight you put in it. A properly fitted pack should let you shift the weight from your shoulders to your hips, and back to your shoulders, just by tweaking the shoulder straps and load lifter tabs. A well-fitted pack will also be comfortable: it won't rub, chafe, bind, or slip downward on your hips.

It's kind of like being a princess in a fairy tale: you've got to kiss a lot of toads before you find the prince.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum