Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180542 - 11/06/13 04:24 PM Long Term Backpacking Gear?
Nemeczek Offline

Hey, guys. This is my first post here! Basically, I'm planning on hiking and backpacking all over BC Canada this spring, and I'm not sure how long I will be out there or where I will go afterwards. I am currently in college, but I am going back home next month and I am going to be working at my outdoors equipment store. Luckily for me, I will be granted access to ProDeals, which is why I will be buying all this gear in one go. I will pretty much be buying ALL brand new stuff. What are some of your thoughts on my planned purchases? I'd love to hear some criticism from you (constructive, of course), and if you're wondering why most of it is within only a few brands, it's because with ProDeals, it's cheaper to buy multiple items from one brand than it is to buy one item from a couple different ones. Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Clothing System
Leg Base Layer - Patagonia Capilene Bottoms
Fleece Shirt -TNF TKA 100 Microvelour Glacier Sweater
Underwear (x2) - TNF Light Boxer Briefs
Pants - TNF Horizon Cargo Pants
Boots - Scarpa Kailash GTX
Hiking Socks (x2) - Smartwool Hike Light Crew
Liner Socks - Smartwool Hike Liner Crew
T-shirt (x2) - Patagonia Capilene 1
Insulation Layer - TNF ThermoBall Hoodie (vs down? Was hoping to use this also around camp and in the sack on cool nights; warm enough?)
Rain Jacket - Patagonia Torrentshell (vs OR Helium II?)
Rain Pants - TNF Venture Pants
Sun/Rain Hat - OR Seattle Sombrero
Cold Hat - OR Wintertrek Hat
Gloves - OR Gripper Gloves

Equipment
Tent - BA Copper Spur UL1
Sleeping Bag - MH Phantom 32 (Is the Phantom 15 worth it, or will the 32 work as a 3 season bag? Thoughts please.)
Pack - Will test what size I will need in-store
Pad - Thermarest NeoAir XLite
Seat - Thermarest ZSeat (cut down)
Water Storage - MSR Dromlite 4L (vs Platypus? Better options?)
Water Bottle - Nalgene Ultralite (Not using Gatorade bottles etc.)
Stove - MSR MicroRocket (also want reliable, but can't decide on liq fuel stove, since they're so heavy)
Pot - MSR Titan Kettle
Filter - MSR HyperFlow (already own and love, don't need a new one)

This so far is pretty much what my main equipment is going to look like. As far as dry bags and stuff sacks go, I will buy those once I have a feel for the size of my pack and equipment and all that. Also, I don't want to be buying the most expensive "Gucci" clothing of the outdoor industry, I can't afford that -- even with ProDeals. Brands for my clothes like Arc'Teryx are pretty much out of the question.

Thoughts on the NeoAir XLite for using every night for possibly multiple months? Thoughts on the ThermoBall jacket vs a down? Will I need something warmer, or will that be fine with the rest of my layering on cold nights?
Thoughts and suggestions are really appreciated here, guys. Thanks alot.

- Carver

#180543 - 11/06/13 05:05 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
It has been a LONG time ago (late 1960's-eary 1970's) since I did much in BC (Rockies, Selkirks, Bugaboos, etc). Went up for a week around 4th July once and spent most of the time playing pool in local bars because the rain was torrential. I recall LOTS of rain, particularly in June-early July. Used to be that late August-early Sept was better weather. It would not be unusual to have a week of no sunshine to dry things out.

I know down jackets have come a long way since then - they now come with water resistant outer material. Down is great as a sit-around in the evening jacket, but if out for weeks at a time, I am not sure I would count on it staying dry 100%. I have taken a down jacket in wet conditions, but it was always a luxury item, that I could survive without, albeit in less comfort. Also, with the rain, as silly as it sounds, what about bringing an umbrella? Or at least have a tarp to set up where you plan to cook.

I would certainly have some back-up gear. Are you traveling in a car or using public transportation? Or doing all walking?

#180544 - 11/06/13 05:14 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Nemeczek Offline

I will mainly be doing hiking trails through-out the province, taking buses from city to city if not walking or hitch-hiking. I don't plan on bringing an umbrella, and I suppose a small 5x7 siltarp wouldn't add too much weight, especially considering that I will be on the Pacific coast for lots of the trip. I will consider putting that on the list as well. Thanks!

#180549 - 11/06/13 07:18 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Grew up in Washington so can attest that if it decides to REALLY rain, then you prepare to hunker down until walking again becomes reasonable. Springtime also means a lot of lingering snowpack, unless hiking the coast and lower foothills.

A silnylon poncho can protect your pack while hiking and double as a small tarp for hanging in camp and cooking under. Gear list seems reasonable, and waiting to select the pack is exactly right. You need to know the bulk and weight of your kit, first. ETA: gaiters, you'll want some.

Plan on carrying a spare Hyperflow cartridge. Trust me.

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (11/06/13 07:18 PM)

#180550 - 11/06/13 07:44 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Rick_D]
Nemeczek Offline

Great advice, Rick. Thanks. I'll add gaiters to the list, and a poncho rather than the tarp. With a poncho, there's probably no point in bringing a packcover as well, is there? A light drizzle would probably roll off whatever bag I choose to go with and a poncho is pretty multi-use. What would be the safest way to carry the filter cartridge? I've heard that if they freeze up that they are done-for and you won't even know till you're sick from bad water.

#180551 - 11/06/13 08:55 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Rick_D Offline

The spare cartridge will be dry, so no special storage is needed (it's expanding ice that does the damage). The one you're using, keep in the tent on nights you think will get to or a little below freezing and if it's to be colder, toss the pump in a plastic bag and leave it at the foot of your sleeping bag.

Cheers,

#180552 - 11/06/13 09:15 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Pretty good list, I have the sleeping bag your talking about and like it quite a bit. The only down side is it's a little bulky and a tad heavy. I can't sleep on a neo air but others love it, I would find someone with one and try it first. I really really like my Exped ul7 synmat.

#180555 - 11/06/13 11:11 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: rockchucker22]
Nemeczek Offline

Thanks for the input. Luckily, the job I will be returning to stocks pretty much everything on the list and I will be able to try out everything in person, and not have to deal with guessing and ordering online.
The Exped SynMat seems alot more durable than the XLite, and I don't like the crunchiness of the it, but the weight is nice. I guess a few ounces more for a better pad would be worth it, seeing as I will be sleeping on it for up to half a year.
Is there a 3 season bag that you would prefer over the Phantom 32?

#180560 - 11/07/13 07:37 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I've used the Copper Spur UL1; it's a very nice tent, conveniently arranged with a nice, usable vestibule and side entry. However, since you have a discount available, you might also look at the BA Fly Creek Platinum 2. It's half a pound lighter than the Copper Spur UL1, much roomier, and has a lot more mesh (could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on the climatic conditions you encounter.) The material seems lighter, too, but I don't know if that's technology marching on or will translate into less durability (haven't had mine long enough to tell.)

For packs, be sure to look at the Osprey Volt series. Just picked up the 60 liter size, and really like it after one trip. Fits perfectly, carries comfortably, and holds everything I would ever consider taking.

As far as pads, the Q-Core and Q-Core SL from BA are very comfortable, too; however, because I like to winter camp, I'm currently using an Exped Downmat 7 with a built-in pump. It weighs as much as my tent, but it's comfortable and defintiely warm. It's my one concession to luxury.

For stoves, take a look at the Jetboil Sol; it's great if you only do boil-in-bag meals (look up some of Lori's posts on Jetboils, though; she has encountered a number of problems with them - however, neither my friend nor I have had any problems with ours (he's had one since it came out; I've been using one for about 2 years - we both get out about 20 -30 days per year.) Also look at the MSR Reactor stove. I've got no experience with it, but it comes in a couple different sizes and looks like a neat idea and gets high rattings on REI's website.

Can't help with most of the other clothing and gear; I haven't used any of it. I like OR's rain jackets and hiking shorts, Icebreaker for t-shirts, underwear, and socks, and Western Mountaineering for down-filled insulation. I also love my Western Mountaineering sleeping bags.

#180561 - 11/07/13 08:12 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
rockchucker22 Offline

Western mountaineering bags set the standard.

#180563 - 11/07/13 11:46 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Nemeczek Offline

Awesome, thankyou. I haven't looked at the Fly Creek Platinum yet, but I will. Unfortunately, our store doesn't carry Western Mountaineering so I won't be buying a sleeping bag or anything from them, basically since I will be getting everything 40-70% off regular price. I've heard good things about Osprey packs too, they seem like kind of an underdog at this point which is good. I will consider them. I'm totally torn on pads right now; I can do the NeoAir Xlite for 12 oz, $150. Or I can do the ExPed Synmat UL7 at 17 oz, $190 but probably a much better sleep and more warmer. I think I'm probably set with the Phantom 32 as I can't seem to find a better bag by the brands that the store carries for a better weight. I don't really want to go all cuben fiber and DIY gear as I don't really have the time to make it all, and don't really trust those types of materials long term. Loving all of your advice so far guys, giving me lots to think about! Thank you

#180565 - 11/07/13 12:37 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I believe my hiking partner purchased a Copper Spur over the summer and has done three trips with it. I'll be seeing it for the first time at the end of the month. I get his take on it when we go backpacking this month.

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse tent and it's extremely well made. I've had to hunker down in a bad storm once and I stay dried. The only thing I hate about it is the door entry. I wish it was side door... I guess my point is you cannot go wrong with Big Agnes in term of durability and workmanship. I've been using this tent for 3 years, and I got it used. (I guess you could say it got some mileages on it. cool )

Edited by ETSU Pride (11/07/13 12:38 PM)

#180567 - 11/07/13 01:11 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: ETSU Pride]
Nemeczek Offline

I've been inside a Seedhouse SL1 before. I do like the size and weight of it, but I do really like the door being on the side of the Copper Spur as well! I'm willing to add a bit of weight for the Copper Spur UL1 to have the comfort and convenience of it. As earlier stated, it's going to be basically be my "home" for a while.
Any thoughts on the Klymit Inertia X-Frame?

#180568 - 11/07/13 01:17 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Rick_D Offline

Total NeoAir convert here, but some folks don't like them so it's good to consider and pretest your complete sleep system before deciding on the components. Part of the decision is how long a pad, as a pillow at the head and and stray clothes/pack at the foot end allow for a shorty pad, which in turn is a big bulk and weight savings.

One thing's certain, it's hard to find anything besides a NeoAir that takes up such a scant amount of pack space. (Maybe a Klymit? I've not seen them on the store shelf, so can't say with any authority.)

Cheers,

#180569 - 11/07/13 01:20 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
ETSU Pride Offline

I been looking at new pads lately as well; I've been eying the Q-Core both the regular and UL version and one of the Exped.

I vaguely remember reading about Klymit Inertia X-Frame in Backpacker. The article for it might be online if you search for it.

#180572 - 11/07/13 01:58 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: ETSU Pride]
rockchucker22 Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
I been looking at new pads lately as well; I've been eying the Q-Core both the regular and UL version and one of the Exped.

I vaguely remember reading about Klymit Inertia X-Frame in Backpacker. The article for it might be online if you search for it.
i have both BA insulated q core and the Exped ul7 synmat. I would take the Exped any day over the BA.

#180579 - 11/07/13 10:45 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Nemeczek Offline

I'm torn on stoves right now. I want the MicroRocket because it's so compact and lightweight, but since I'm going long-term, I'm not sure if I should get the Primus Express Lander (white gas). It's a 6oz liquid fuel stove and that's pretty good.

#180582 - 11/07/13 11:45 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
If you end up in a lot of out-of-the-way little towns you may not always be able to find butane cartridges. A multi-fuel stove that burns white gas, kerosene and alcohol may be a better choice. Also, for cook pots, on long trips I prefer a 1-L titanium pot with lid over the smaller solo pots. Water actually heats faster in a larger based pot and I use the pot for washing stuff. Think about making insulating "cozies" for your pot and cup. And be sure whatever stove you have has a good wind screen - really makes a difference in saving gas.

#180585 - 11/08/13 01:34 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: wandering_daisy]
Nemeczek Offline

All good advice. Most of the multi-fuel stoves are pretty heavy, at least from what I've seen. How common is it to find white gas in any given town? I've never really looked for it anywhere. Do they sell it in gas stations often? I've only ever seen in it department stores.
Also, would the Primus 1L Ti pot be a good option, paired with the MSR Ti cup?

#180586 - 11/08/13 04:21 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Peter Sump Offline

Interested with the post and by reading all comments here, provides information to get through Backpacking Gear Solutions.

#180594 - 11/08/13 08:52 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
ETSU Pride Offline

Originally Posted By Nemeczek
I'm torn on stoves right now. I want the MicroRocket because it's so compact and lightweight, but since I'm going long-term, I'm not sure if I should get the Primus Express Lander (white gas). It's a 6oz liquid fuel stove and that's pretty good.

I have the Pocket Rocket, which is the predecessor of MicroRocket, and I love it. It has been very reliable and I know someone else who has had one longer. Can't go wrong with MSR or Snow Peak Giga Power. Canister stove that has very little moving parts will last a long time. I'm speaking from others who has theirs quite some time.

Edited by ETSU Pride (11/08/13 08:52 AM)

#180597 - 11/08/13 09:47 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By ETSU Pride
Originally Posted By Nemeczek

I have the Pocket Rocket, which is the predecessor of MicroRocket, and I love it. It has been very reliable and I know someone else who has had one longer. Can't go wrong with MSR or Snow Peak Giga Power. Canister stove that has very little moving parts will last a long time. I'm speaking from others who has theirs quite some time.

I had a Pocket Rocket for one season and gave it away. The pot supports wobbled too much, the stove went out for no reason too often, and frequently the breeze meant the water never boiled as the flame was blowing sideways no matter how I held the sleeping pad around the stove or set up my pack and some rocks... Too much air space between the burner and the bottom of the pot.

I have a bunch of alcohol stoves, a Snow Peak Giga, and a remote canister Primus - you use what works for you. YMMV.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#180598 - 11/08/13 10:40 AM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Nemeczek]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
If you look carefully at the material on the Primus Express Lander you will find that the 6 ounce figure is for the stove unit only. With the pump and pressure fuel bottle the assembly will be closer to 15 ounces.

I looked at the Lander for use on a JMT hike this summer and discovered the listed weight did not include the pump assembly nor the relatively heavy fuel bottle. The stove won't work without both. I thought, at the time, that neglecting to mention this little fact was disingenuous, at best, and more likely deceptive.

Edited by Pika (11/08/13 10:46 AM)
Edit Reason: Punctuation

#180604 - 11/08/13 01:08 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: Pika]
Nemeczek Offline

Yeah, it seemed the Express Lander was too good to be true. I don't see how it could be so hard to design an ultralight liquid fuel stove!
I am currently using an MSR SuperFly and I like it because if I run out of canisters and I am somewhere that the canisters aren't available, I can still hook up a butane bottle from any gas station. I just don't want to be left without fuel during my trip, which is the only reason I am considering a liquid fuel stove. No fuel = inoperable stove = dead weight.

#180606 - 11/08/13 01:18 PM Re: Long Term Backpacking Gear? [Re: lori]
Rick_D Offline

Always avoided the Pocket Rocket because of those flimsy pot supports. The Micro Rocket is much more robust, plus folds smaller for storage. My sole quibble is the flame is more concentrated than I prefer, but I can still "cook" with it.

There are plenty of tiny canister-top burners to chose among, something for nearly everyone.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum