Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180081 - 10/05/13 11:17 AM A National Scenic Trail with a No trespassing sign
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
This was not on federal land and as far as I can tell not related to the gov't shutdown.

I have been attempting a section-day-hike of the Florida National Scenic Trail. I do this by self-shuttling, usually by electric bicycle and car but occasionally with a friend. I've done a little over 100 miles so far.

Today I was hoping to hike the FNST from US221 east for about a 10-12 miles stretch. This is in the Florida Panhandle just south of Madison, east of Tallahassee. I drove 1.5 hours from my home, then biked 40 minutes and found the Florida National Scenic Trail has a "No Trespassing without permission of owner - Violators subject to arrest or fine" sign. This strikes me as oxymoron-like, a National Scenic Trail with a No Trespassing sign. There was no owner listed but somewhere on the sign it had Florida Farm Bureau written on it.
Of course I opted not to trespass.

In case anyone knows the owner, it's the Florida Trail going east from US221, just south of Madison and about an hour east of Tallahassee.

I have No Trespassing signs on some of my property so understand the rights of property owners. I don't get why they would allow a trail though.

While I was out there I went ahead and scouted the next couple of access points. I didn't see any more No Trespassing signs.

#180082 - 10/05/13 01:53 PM Re: A National Scenic Trail with a No trespassing sign [Re: PerryMK]
PerryMK Online   content

I posted my dilemma on a Florida Trail forum and was informed that Florida Trail Association members are permitted to cross the private lands. I then checked the FTA website and on their membership brochure it states that crossing private land is permissible for members only. Now I know.

A National Scenic Trail with a No Trespassing sign still strikes me as oxymoron-like.

#180083 - 10/05/13 02:54 PM Re: A National Scenic Trail with a No trespassing sign [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Yeah, that's a tough one. I've never put "No Trespassing" signs on our property. It didn't have them when we bought it and I saw no reason to put them up. Still haven't. I did put up "Hunting by Permission Only" signs, but that was really a compromise with my wife who did want "No Trespassing" signs up.

For me, it really boils down to rather the restrictions were put in place as a result of actual problems or to prevent imagined problems that never really existed.

I can imagine all kinds of problems that trespassers might cause on our property. My wife can imagine even more. But none have really occurred. Somebody stole my amazing as seen on TV stick it anywhere light bulb that I stuck in an outhouse down there. It was pretty easy to steal, it was probably kids, and they probably used it to light their way back home, but that's it. That's not worth putting up "No Trespassing" signs. I'd rather those local kids were hiking down there than have nothing better to do.

My guess is that no one would have bothered you, especially if you had your daypack on, were alone, and stayed on the trail. If I were the owner I'd be looking out for groups of teenage boys lugging boxes of beer, but I'd think nothing of seeing you out there alone, or small groups carrying packs.

So I probably would have went. I'm a stickler about not trespassing, but knowing my intentions were pure I think I'd have gone ahead and done my hike. And knowing what you know now I'd surely go back and do it.

I know you have a lot of maps and info on those trails, so I'm guessing that your maps didn't indicate that section was restricted. That's certainly an omission worth noting. A local "Trail Guide Book" author here, Tim Ernst, makes a point to mention private land borders near any of the routes he describes and I've always appreciated that.

"You want to go where?"

#180085 - 10/05/13 03:17 PM Re: A National Scenic Trail with a No trespassing sign [Re: billstephenson]
PerryMK Online   content

I put up No Trespassing signs after finding ATVs decided to tear up my property. It should be unnecessary as there is no question that this is private property (several consecutive lots in a neighborhood of 2-3 acre lots). They probably figured it didn't matter or just didn't think. Now they know. I have no idea who they are and maybe its better that way.

I've learned that there are a number of sections of the FT that are on private land. None are marked on the maps.

#180087 - 10/05/13 05:54 PM Re: A National Scenic Trail with a No trespassing sign [Re: PerryMK]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By PerryMK
I put up No Trespassing signs after finding ATVs decided to tear up my property. It should be unnecessary as there is no question that this is private property (several consecutive lots in a neighborhood of 2-3 acre lots). They probably figured it didn't matter or just didn't think. Now they know. I have no idea who they are and maybe its better that way.

I've learned that there are a number of sections of the FT that are on private land. None are marked on the maps.

I would do the same thing. I'm not a huge fan of ATVs anyway, and what happened to you is why. Our land isn't very accessible, so that's not been a problem. I have some neighbors who ride back there but they've helped me build trails and they just crawl along on their ATVs.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum