Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179895 - 09/27/13 10:12 PM Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit
jimmyb Offline

Getting back into the sport after many years I have quickly become a bit obsessed in shedding weight. I am looking at everything.

I didn't care for the idea of carrying the big syringe supplied with the Sawyer squeeze for flushing in the field but thought I still should have some flushing capability. I receive medical drug infusions and so have smaller syringes at hand.

I am going to try to get away with a 20ml syringe at 14g instead of the 34g syringe supplied. I did a test trial at home with the smaller version and with a good push it seemed to develop enough pressure to do the job but only time will tell. I feel it is a better option than simply leaving the supplied syringe behind.

Buy the way I really like the new filter awesome

Hope this may help, jimmyb

Edited by jimmyb (09/27/13 10:41 PM)

#179902 - 09/28/13 07:26 AM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: jimmyb]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I recently added a Tornado Tube to my Sawyer filter, so I could also connect the "clean" bottle to the filter. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm wondering if I need the syringe at all. The Platypus gravity system just backflushes by raising the clean bottle higher than the dirty bottle; could I do the same thing by inverting the unit and squeezing the clean bottle to fill the dirty bottle?

I'm going to give it a try next trip, and see what happens.

#179905 - 09/28/13 09:58 AM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jimmyb Offline

Glen I had to google tornado tube confused

But yes, that might work. It certainly will make it easier to single handedly filter water even if you aren't able to back flush with it.

I did try hooking a dirty bottle to the filter instead of using the sawyer pouch but found I needed to make a small air bleed hole in the bottle because without it I needed to crush the bottle to get the water out. I just went back to using the sawyer squeeze pouch. You may want to give it a trial run before heading out.

Thanks for the tornado tube tip, jimmyb

#179912 - 09/28/13 01:21 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
FWIW I don't find the syringe confidence-inspiring because when the filter is actually clogged, the backflush pressure needed tends to pop the friction-fit filter off the syringe. So you're left to try holding the two together while pressing the plunger while trying not to get soaked.

I kind of like your solution here. (FWIW the faucet backwash hose supplied with the other Sawyers works perfectly at home, and a field backwash using the clean water bag and connector hose at least keeps a solid connection. It can leak at the screw cap.)

Cheers,

#179915 - 09/28/13 05:53 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: jimmyb]

I use the Sawyer bladders for both clean (1L) and dirty (2L), so no problem there.

I found out about the Tornado Tube when I made a customer suggestion to Sawyer that they should engineer the clean side with the same threads as the dirty side. Their reply consisted of, in its entirety, "Try a tornado tube." (Customer service department may need some polishing.)

I had to google it, too.

#179916 - 09/28/13 07:44 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jimmyb Offline

Quote:
I had to google it, too.

smile Some how that makes me feel better.

#179936 - 09/29/13 06:56 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: jimmyb]

It's raining here, so I decided to try it out. Of course, I was using tap water through a non-clogged filter, so I'm not 100% sure the results will play out in the field.

I attached a clean bottle of tap water (using the Tornado Tube) and the empty dirty bottle, inverted the unit, and squeezed the clean bottle. It flowed backward just fine, so I'm thinking it might work. I've got a trip in a couple weeks, so I may try it in the field then. (I'll probably take the syringe, just in case.)

Hmmm... now, in the proud tradition of gearheads, I'm finding myself compelled to overthink this: would the syringe be worth carrying anyhow, since it could be used to irrigate wounds? smile

#179938 - 09/29/13 07:51 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
jimmyb Offline

Good to see the initial test worked well. Make sure you post a report when back from your trip.

As far as the syringe, would it be better to carry a small sealed sterile syringe for first aid. Or would the fact there would be no sterile water (including filtered water) negate the need for one? Just thinking out loud here.

More I think about it the more I like the tornado tube idea as well.

jimmyb

#179955 - 09/29/13 09:25 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Irrigate wounds or irritate tentmates? You decide!

Cheers,

#179956 - 09/29/13 09:37 PM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: Rick_D]

That use never occurred to me - I like the way you think!

#179961 - 09/30/13 10:10 AM Re: Save a few grams from your Sawyer squeeze kit [Re: jimmyb]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I carry a small packet of Iodine solution to use to instantly sterilize water for irrigation. With this, a sterile syringe wouldn't be needed.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum