Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179625 - 09/07/13 09:25 PM high weight capacity rucksack
myrf Offline

Newbie/novice: Would like some direction for a high capacity backpack, preferably frameless(?), male,54,just getting back into shape, used for 7+ day trips, budget conscience but willing to sacrifice other items for quality, 200.00+,some altitude,smokie mtns, ruck should be able to handle 50+ lbs, more is preferred

Edited by myrf (09/07/13 09:57 PM)

#179626 - 09/07/13 09:42 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: myrf]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since this is a lightweight backpacking forum, it probably isn't the best place for info on such a backpack.

There are articles on the home page of this site, left hand column on gear selection, but, again, they're oriented towards lightweight gear. If you're interested in lightening your load, though, there are lots of ideas on how to do so.

For any backpack, the three most important aspects are fit, fit and fit. The pack needs to fit you, it needs to fit your gear and it needs to fit you with your gear inside.

For high bulk and high weight, you definitely do not want a frameless backpack unless you enjoy painful experiences. I wouldn't recommend a frameless backpack unless your total pack weight (including the pack) is 20 lbs. or less.

It would help if you could describe the volume and weight-carrying capacity for which you are looking.

#179627 - 09/07/13 10:02 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: OregonMouse]
myrf Offline

Thx, added weight req., can you suggest sites/blogs were I could get info, google search brings up so much junk. I do have a "Tough Traveler" daypack & backpack

#179628 - 09/07/13 11:39 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: myrf]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I heartily agree with OregonMouse that if you wish to carry 50+ lbs, as your original post indicated, a frameless pack is NOT the way to go. You will want that much weight distributed efficiently to a padded hip belt and a frameless pack simply cannot accomplish that.

As for spending up to $200, you should be able to get a reasonably capacious and comfortable framed pack (internal or external frame) within that cost limit. The standard advice on buying a pack is 1) buy it only after you have assembled all your gear 2) try it on with all your gear inside, plus the equivalent weight of all the food and water you'd expect to carry 3) if it doesn't fit you excellently and feel comfortable after 15 to 30 minutes of carrying your stuff, there is no way on god's green earth it will feel comfortable after 6 to 8 hours of carrying the same stuff on the trail. So, return it and try again.

As for a good fit, price has little or no correlation to fit. Most mid to high end pack makers make realtively good quality packs, so when making your choice go with fit, fit and fit, not cost.

#179630 - 09/08/13 06:30 AM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: aimless]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I would recommend an external frame pack for 50+ lbs. A good hipbelt is important as this is where you are trying to transfer the weight. I would even suggest an "L" shaped external. This will provide a shelf which will act as a lever making the fulcrum right at the hipbelt. One thing to realize is the packing of an e-frame is different, however it is more forgiving than a poorly packed internal frame pack. Even so, avoid hanging stuff off of it. Get it inside, or lashed tightly (on top is preferred. while I would also recommend trying to avoid carrying 50+ lbs, there are specific reasons why one might need to. Enjoy. Be safe, a heavy pack increases risk of injury.

#179639 - 09/09/13 02:44 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: myrf]
myrf Offline

Thank you each for the info & insight.

#179644 - 09/09/13 04:00 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: myrf]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Look at Kifaru, bring your banker.
Duane

#179645 - 09/09/13 04:44 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: hikerduane]
Infamous Offline

Loc: So Cal
Mystery Ranch packs are in line with all of your requirements, except cost. Really durable stuff that carries weight very comfortably.

#179647 - 09/09/13 05:30 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: myrf]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Could we all be missing something? It might help if you gave us a description of a typical trip, and what makes up the 50 pounds you're going to be putting in it. For example, a 7-day trip might consist of one day hiking in, setting up a camp, doing something out of that camp (hunting, dayhiking, etc.) - or it might consist of 7 high-mileage days. In either case, the pack recommendation might be different but, more important, we may be able to help reduce the 50 pounds to 25 or 30. (You say you're just getting back into this - after how long an absence? Gear has changed a lot, mostly for the better, over the last 10 years.)

Also, when you say "frameless," are you referring to a pack with no frame whatsoever (like a duffle bag with shoulder straps) or are you simply referring to a pack that doesn't have the old aluminum-pipe external frame - which would mean you want recommendations for a pack with an internal frame (not what most of us here consider "frameless.")

#179648 - 09/09/13 06:19 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Some kinds of weight are difficult to reduce, such as water for a multi-day trip in a location with no water sources. But you are entirely right that without more info it is difficult to know how best to help.

#179649 - 09/09/13 07:17 PM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

I use to use a Jansport D-2 external frame for carrying climbing equipment along with camping gear. Regularly hauled 60+. I use it in the winter, now. They've put out a re-issue. Great packs. Like others mentioned , there may be lighter packing solutions, but if you must....

Edited by bluefish (09/09/13 07:18 PM)

#179658 - 09/11/13 10:21 AM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: bluefish]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
A frameless pack would NOT be comfortable. But, if you must have a frameless one then here is one. It will carry the weight and not break. It will break you though. I have three of them. Around the $30 range, but I didn't buy mine, they were given to me by my uncle Sam. I would never consider taking it hiking.

If you want to carry a LOT of weight without breaking the bank, then look at either a hunting pack that is used to carry out deer, like a Kelty Cache Hauler, or a military MOLLE pack. There is also the now discontinued Marine Corps ILBE that is flooding the surplus stores now that the Marines have replaced it with a new pack. You can get really good used ones in the $100 range. All three of these packs are HEAVY, but they will also take a lot of weight and be comfortable (comfortable is a relative term, you won't really be comfortable, just less miserable than with other less comfortable packs).

#179716 - 09/16/13 01:12 AM Re: high weight capacity rucksack [Re: aimless]
winwalk Offline

Thank you each for the info

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 168 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum