Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179566 - 09/02/13 09:07 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: topshot]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Not in the field; I tried. Used the tube connected to water bladder, using boiled water. I will work on it at home now that I'm actually at home for the week. Considering that it was tested with tap water and worked just fine shortly before the trip, why was it blocked the first time I tried to use it in the field?

Edited by OregonMouse (09/02/13 09:09 PM)

#179570 - 09/02/13 09:35 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Considering that it was tested with tap water and worked just fine shortly before the trip, why was it blocked the first time I tried to use it in the field?
Good question. I'd try contacting Sawyer support and ask.

#179575 - 09/03/13 10:40 AM Re: backflushing Sawyer Squeeze filter [Re: topshot]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By topshot
Originally Posted By finallyME
The first trip I took this year, I didn't take the syringe to backflush, and it was blocked....really sucked. I carry the syringe every time now.
Depending on what else you may carry, the syringe isn't necessary. If you have the version with the nipple, you could connect a tube to a bladder to backflush.

I have the older version. Plus, all my bladders are dirty. My syringe is pretty light, Plus I can use it to irrigate wounds.

#179585 - 09/03/13 11:46 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oregon Mouse,

I've had this occur several times within the last year and have talked with Sawyer about it. They recommended backflushing it under a hot water faucet and/or soaking it in vinegar then backflushing it. This has worked for me. Takes about a half hour of fiddling to restore full flow.

More recently I've been using the technique shown in the link below:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/...t=683345#683345

For me the problem might have been associated with using bleach (per instructions on water bags) to disinfect the filter. Have you used bleach at all?

#179587 - 09/04/13 09:36 AM Re: Water treatment [Re: DJ2]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sounds like they are worried about calcium or hard mineral build-up.

By the way DJ, love the high pressure hose technique.

#179596 - 09/04/13 09:09 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: OregonMouse]
nate99 Offline

Loc: Denver Colorado
I think that probably floaties sinkies and swimmies in the water clogged up the filter system so that may be the reason.
-Nate-

#179599 - 09/05/13 10:23 AM Re: Water treatment [Re: nate99]
DJ2 Offline

Nate,

I didn't mention this in my post but the problem occurs between trips not after trips. The filter would flow well after backflushing it when I store it. When I took it out of storage after a few months, however, the flow was greatly reduced. So I think the problem has more to do with some aspect of the drying process (in my case) than floaties etc in the filter.

#179602 - 09/05/13 12:55 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: DJ2]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Am convinced after three seasons of use that the Sawyer cartridges cannot be completely dried. Even after weeks sitting in a sunny window I can still get water drops out of them.

My takeaway is it's very important to do the chlorine solution backwash before storing for the winter, then at the season's start, backflush before the first trip.

Some combination of bacteria and/or mildew is at work during that off period, clogging the works.

As to how visibly clear water clogging the filter in the field, it's likely to be bacterial biofilm. Have found field-backwashing can restore flow, even though it's a pita to do.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By DJ2
Nate,

I didn't mention this in my post but the problem occurs between trips not after trips. The filter would flow well after backflushing it when I store it. When I took it out of storage after a few months, however, the flow was greatly reduced. So I think the problem has more to do with some aspect of the drying process (in my case) than floaties etc in the filter.

#179604 - 09/05/13 03:53 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: Rick_D]
DJ2 Offline

Rick,

"Am convinced after three seasons of use that the Sawyer cartridges cannot be completely dried. Even after weeks sitting in a sunny window I can still get water drops out of them."
I agree and someone awhile back actually cut one open and confirmed same. Was that you?

"My takeaway is it's very important to do the chlorine solution backwash before storing for the winter, then at the season's start, backflush before the first trip."
I also agree with this and it is what I've done in the past. The reduced (almost no) flow problem occurs when I remove it from storage and am preparing it for that first trip. That's when I have to backflush, forward flush, soak in vinegar, etc. Takes about a half hour of fiddling to get it flowing correctly again.

"Some combination of bacteria and/or mildew is at work during that off period, clogging the works."
Maybe so. I don't really know the cause. Others have guessed it is the bleach or Seattle water.

"As to how visibly clear water clogging the filter in the field, it's likely to be bacterial biofilm. Have found field-backwashing can restore flow, even though it's a pita to do."
Haven't had a flow problem in the field yet and I've used it for up to a week at a time.

So far this year my pressure nozzle backflush (see link in post above) before and after each trip has kept things flowing nicely. Won't be putting it into storage again until Oct so we'll see what happens next spring.

#179611 - 09/05/13 09:29 PM Re: Water treatment [Re: DJ2]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By DJ2
Nate,

In one of the links above, a poster made this comment,"Most of the reports of the Sawyer filters slowing to a crawl (my inline did this) are when the filter dries out in storage, not usually on a hike."

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum