Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179228 - 08/16/13 11:46 AM Wade or rock hop?
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Along similar lines...

On our last trip to Virginia Canyon, we ran into a group of students from the Athenian School, a high school in the Bay Area. They were on a 26-day backpacking trip as part of a graduation requirement from the school...and we enjoyed chatting with them. Nice kids, having fun.

But one thing struck us as a bit odd. We met at the junction where the Pacific Crest Trail fords Return Creek in Virginia Canyon, and as we hopped on the rocks across the creek, we noticed that the kids in the group were all sitting down, with their boots off, and wringing the water out of their socks.

When we asked about it, the bright young woman who was guiding them explained that "We don't rock hop across streams."

OK. We do. We also use trees, where possible, as in the photo here. We like dry feet, and dry boots. At any rate...

We stopped there and pumped some water for the hike up to McCabe Lakes, and as we were finishing up, M noticed that their group was getting ready to hit the trail. No worries. Those young people were going to leave first, and were certainly going to hike uphill faster than us old folks.

Not so. In less than 100 yards we were right behind them, and they kindly let us go ahead. And fifty yards beyond that we came to the ford of McCabe Creek...which we rock-hopped across, and headed up the hill.

And we couldn't help thinking that they were going to stop after that one, sit down, take their boots off, and wring their socks out again. Seemed like a slow way to hike in the Sierra.

Then again, the next day M was carelessly rock-hopping across a small stream, slipped, and dunked her feet nicely into the water. She grimaced, swore, and then hiked up out of the stream and let her feet dry out, more or less, on the trail. That afternoon she set her boots in the sun and completed the drying process.

On the other hand, where there are no rocks, we just take off our boots and wade in our Crocs.

Edited by balzaccom (08/16/13 11:53 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#179231 - 08/16/13 04:19 PM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: balzaccom]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
If suitable rocks are present, I'll use them. Otherwise, I wade across in my trail runners. They dry enough just hiking. If my feet seem to be more sensitive for some reason, I may wring out the socks, but that's pretty rare now that I've gone to lighter weight ones (ie, running vs hiking socks). My son and I did Zion Narrows this summer (video in the reports section) in our normal footwear. No problems at all. You'll likely have problems using boots that don't drain and dry worth a darn.

#179232 - 08/16/13 05:19 PM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: balzaccom]
Barefoot Friar Offline

Loc: Houston, Alabama
Oh, rock hop. I'll go several hundred yards out of my way to rock hop, particularly in winter. I hate having wet feet.

#179242 - 08/17/13 07:59 AM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: Barefoot Friar]
LookinUp Offline

Loc: NE TX
I solo a lot and don't like to take chances, so I tend to wade thru rather than rock hop....seen a few folks spill that way, including a friend's wife that ended up with a pretty bad gash to her noggin. If I'm completely confident I can, then I'll hop. I wear light trail runners and light wool socks, and have found that even in cold weather just walking thru is fine. When I'd rather not get my shoes wet; ie just before getting to camp in the evening, I don a pr of Sprint Aquatic shower shoes (1.6 oz,and non-slip soles). But then I'm no longer young and as agile as I once was grin

Edited by LookinUp (08/17/13 08:01 AM)

#179256 - 08/18/13 03:22 PM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: balzaccom]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I wouldn't necessarily think wading is any safer than rock hopping. That depends on the crossing, one's personal abilities, and more often than not a bit of luck.

I almost always rock hop, and like Barefoot, I'll bushwhack a long way to find a good, safe, crossing. If I know there's a good chance I have to wade I'll bring water shoes, but I usually don't. Truth is, I've dunked my feet in the water more times than I can count rock hopping, but I've crossed dry more times than that.

I have waded creeks and rivers a lot, many miles in fact, though not much with a full backpack, and from my experience it's much more likely that I'll slip and fall while wading than rock hopping, especially if there's a strong current.

Crossings are a main reason I use a hiking stick. They can be used as a third point of balance and make crossing much easier and safer.

I suppose if I hiked mostly on trails in warm weather I might use fast drying trail runners and just slosh my way across streams and let them dry while I was wearing them. That seems like a good option in those conditions.

"You want to go where?"

#179308 - 08/20/13 10:51 AM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: billstephenson]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By billstephenson

Crossings are a main reason I use a hiking stick. They can be used as a third point of balance and make crossing much easier and safer.

My poles definitely make rock hopping easier. I rock hop 99.9% of the time, and only wade when I can't rock hop. Some people aren't coordinated enough to rock hop. Most of my scouts have a hard time at first, but over time get the hang of it. Well, except for one kid we named "Splash". He eventually gave up and just walked through every water puddle we came across, even the ones you could walk around. Kids just don't walk in the woods as much as they used to. And, I don't see too many balance beams in elementary school playgrounds anymore. All my kids have had a hard time doing it when they were 4 and 5, but by 6 they were pros.

Edited by finallyME (08/20/13 10:52 AM)

#179340 - 08/21/13 06:55 AM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: finallyME]
LookinUp Offline

Loc: NE TX
One thing I should add, as a paddler I've taken more than one swiftwater rescue class, and while I do tend to walk thru rather than rock hop, I'm all about bushwhacking when needed to find a suitable crossing, and know my personal limits with current and depth and won't exceed them even if I have to turn back..usually, at least in the limited areas I've hiked, I can find a crossing. One thing that hampers me is my size and weight 5'5" and 130 lbs. What some of the big guys I hike with can cross, I'd get swept away even with my Pacer Poles.

#179350 - 08/21/13 09:16 PM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: LookinUp]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I do a fair bit of both, Ive found that no two river crossings are the same! I do not currently use poles. But will find a wading staff if need be. I'm also almost always wearing tevas, and will keep a few pair of dry socks

#179399 - 08/24/13 10:32 PM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
As a flyfisherman I have seen water so swift that you could not move anywhere but downstream if it was knee deep. Wading swift water is sort of an art, wheras hopping over has always seemed safer to me, and I hate to get my boots wet.

I would NEVER take off my boots and socks and cross barefooted (I did that once :(), thats asking for badly damaged ankles or something stuck through the sole of your foot.
Jim

#179406 - 08/25/13 08:57 AM Re: Wade or rock hop? [Re: Jimshaw]
bpackengneer Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I rock hop when it is convenient. If not, I will walk through with my trail runners on. The nice thing is they are light and breathable so they dry out quickly.

Backpacking Engineer

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum