Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169935 - 09/29/12 12:55 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I'm bumping this post from 2005. When I posted it at age 60 there weren't many responding who were older than me.

Now, in recent postings I see several who are older than me at my current age of 67.

Very encouraging.

#169937 - 09/29/12 12:59 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
I was 5 years older than you in 2005 and I still am. I think that is true of the others also. smile

Originally Posted By DJ2
I'm bumping this post from 2005. When I posted it at age 60 there weren't many responding who were older than me.

Now, in recent postings I see several who are older than me at my current age of 67.

Very encouraging.

#169956 - 09/29/12 06:25 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Either we're living longer smile or (more likely) the active folks on this forum are getting older frown

Speaking as a moderator, it would be great to have more new members here who aren't trying to spam or flame everyone or post ten completely meaningless posts so they can post a for sale ad! Of course those are the ones who cause us grief. We do have several wonderful new members giving us great input on this forum, and they're a joy to have here!

As of next June 25, my dog and I will be the same age. How can that be? The general assumption is that one dog year equals 7 human years. My dog will be 11 next June; therefore he'll be the equivalent of 77!

However, we're all spring chickens here compared to my daughter-in-law's grandmother, who is about to turn 100! She's still pretty spry, too!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/29/12 06:26 PM)

#169967 - 09/29/12 11:21 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: OregonMouse]
jbylake Offline

Loc: Northern KY USA
77?....LoL,OM, if I ever see that, I'll be amazed. I'm 54, almost 55, was taking Aleve for 2 days after my last trip... crazy

Hope I'm good for about 10 more years or so, because when I got to the age where I thought I'd give it up, I then realized that I didn't want too...

All kidding aside, I do have some physical problems mostly related to my first career, the military, but also from a couple of major goof-up's in the grass as a civilian. I still can't resist the challenge though. I love the beauty of nature, being alone in a breeze in some picturesque place, but for me the best part is the challenge...everything else is icing on the cake. I know some people look down on that philosophy, some of my friends do, but hey, I don't judge them if they want to be so in tune with nature they do a 20 mile trip stark naked...I don't judge them, I just don't want to see it... grin

Hope I'm still going at 77...but more likely people will be hiking on the dirt over me....Lol...

Cheers,
J.

#169973 - 09/30/12 01:29 AM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: jbylake]
OregonMouse Offline

"We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking." --Finis Mitchell

BTW, jbylake, you're one of the new members I was thinking of when I said that we have several new members who make great contributions to this forum. Welcome, and thank you!

Edited by OregonMouse (09/30/12 01:32 AM)

#169976 - 09/30/12 08:25 AM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
DJ2,

76 here, 77 in December, just back from a canoe trip with my child bride and trophy wife (but she's only 66). Talking about doing the AT again when I'm 80. Did it when I was sixty and again when I was 70. Hang in there kid.

best, jcp

#170048 - 10/02/12 12:04 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
I don't know...I'm 55 so does that make me an old backpacker or an almost old backpacker. When I see people who are 80+ going by me on trail, I think to myself "that's going to be me when I'm in my 80's". I figure I still got 30 years. Use it or loose it!

#170398 - 10/11/12 01:40 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: skcreidc]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
I'm 50 and you guys are making me feel young...
Actually, I feel young most of the time. My kids help.
I have twin 12 year olds that are hardier on the trail than most 20 somethings.
Can't complain... But sometimes I still do.

#171650 - 11/08/12 06:32 AM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: alanwenker]
LookinUp Offline

Loc: NE TX
Hi All,
I've been lurking for a while and just had to say how nice it is to see a section devoted to "seasoned" if you will, backpacker's. I'll turn 58 in a few months (just a pup compared to some of the great posts I've read here.) I've been day hiking since I was a girl scout (many moons ago),canoe and kayak, but I have some spine issues and never dreamed of backpacking. Thanks to UL gear I started backpacking a couple of years ago and it's become my passion. I'm trying to do everything I can to stay in good shape so that I can continue to enjoy it as long as possible. I've had some knee issues (mostly due to arthritis,but meniscus,patellar too) off and on since I started, and I've really struggled with the right shoes. I have long skinny feet with a moderate arch and I continue to try different shoes hoping to hit on the right ones....it's a work in progress.
Well that's enough rambling, just wanted to say thanks for the encouragement this and some of the other posts have given me.

Leigh

#171666 - 11/08/12 12:18 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: LookinUp]
rionada Offline

Loc: Hervey Bay, QLD Australia
Welcome Leigh,
Keep at it.

#171676 - 11/08/12 02:41 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: LookinUp]
OregonMouse Offline

Welcome, Leigh!

Re knees--exercises for strengthening the muscles above and below the knee plus the use of trekking poles really helps me.

Re footwear--I have really deformed feet (fallen arches, bunions, hammertoes) and have found that using trailrunners instead of boots really helps--I can get a far better fit with better support for my feet, and trailrunners are both softer and lighter. (There are some soft and light boots, but I haven't been able to find any without Goretex liners, which turn my feet into a sauna.) Also, ditch the manufacturer's insoles and find after-market insoles that work with your feet. I would have avoided my latest problem (plantar fasciitis) if I'd switched to green Superfeet (which work really well for me, Your Mileage May Vary) a long time ago!

#171807 - 11/10/12 07:03 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: OregonMouse]
Richard Cullip Offline

Loc: Poway, CA
I just registered over here after hearing about TLB over at BPL. I don't consider myself "old" but rather I'm "well-aged" wink

I backpacked fairly extensively way back in the early 1970's, mostly out of Mineral King. Made multiple trips up and over Franklin Pass and over to the Big 5/Little 5 Lakes basins back then when I was "young". I then, unfortunately, took a long hiatus from hiking around the High Sierra - got busy raising a family.

Recently I got back into backpacking and now, at age 61, I'm looking forward to many more years of hiking around the High Sierra. I took the opportunity to upgrade all of my old equipment and now go fairly light, current base weight of 10lbs (or less if no bear canister is needed), which really helps this "well-aged" body get up into the high country.

Life is good. Eternal life is better!
Richard Cullip

#171808 - 11/10/12 07:28 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: Richard Cullip]
OregonMouse Offline

Welcome, Richard!

#171854 - 11/11/12 07:36 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: OregonMouse]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
i like this thread. I have been absent sice spring and my georgia smokies trek. on and I di 58 miles in 4 days. It killed me had to get off trail due to severe neck pain. I took afall when hammock suspension ad to be etendeed on day 3. We gave our all. Dad hiked Isle royale at 72 I may try never give up better to try and fail as never try at all!

#171864 - 11/11/12 09:47 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: Kent W]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
"i like this thread."

Evidently others do too.

The stats say it has been viewed 47,000 times.

Is that possible?

Edited by DJ2 (11/11/12 09:48 PM)

#171866 - 11/11/12 10:02 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
OregonMouse Offline

It has been around for over seven years, so quite possible.

#173167 - 12/19/12 01:45 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
Backpackhavn Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Thank you for being a great role model for others. Just recently met a couple who were both 60 on the trail and found that very motivating! They said they just take it a little slower, but have reached their goal for that day and were very proud of it.

http://backpackhavenblog.com
http://www.backpackhaven.com/Home.html

#173177 - 12/19/12 11:34 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: Backpackhavn]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Gosh, I'm 60 and I am inspired by the people I run into on the trail who are a lot older than I am! sheesh. Now I feel old!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#173178 - 12/19/12 11:51 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: balzaccom]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I'm not old but my hiking partner is 65 and I have to work to keep up with him. I aspire to have his energy in 30 years from now.

#174595 - 02/02/13 09:58 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
60 here. I was avid backpacker in my youth, and though I still work, have returned. I backpack, kayak-camp and fish, fish backpack, and snowshoe camp.
Last Feb I had a stent put in which solved a problem of pain and shortness of breath I thought was due to age, now I'm full speed again. My pace has slowed a bit because I enjoy rambling and taking in the sights. My comfort zone is the wilderness. Desert, mountain, no matter. I will never give it up. I am as comfortable with a 50 lb pack as I ever was, though do try to lighten a bit.
So - trek on ye aged!
My idol of sorts was Colin Fletcher - sad his passing. I have most of his books.

#174672 - 02/04/13 06:03 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: balzaccom]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Let me get this straight. DJ2 points out 47,000 hits on 11/11/2012. Right now (02/04/2013) the counter is at 52,428??? At a couple thousand hit a month, that's a popular thread all right.

#174714 - 02/05/13 03:59 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: djtrekker]
Backpackhavn Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
It is great that you can still be a backpacker at age 60, hope you will be able to do this for many years to come!

http://backpackhavenblog.com
http://www.backpackhaven.com/Home.html

#174938 - 02/10/13 10:20 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: skcreidc]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
What it means is, Boomers RULE!

#174940 - 02/10/13 11:38 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: djtrekker]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Every year I take my entire company on a camping trip somewhere in California. And it never fails--the younger folks hang out in camp, go to the beach, or even drive to a local town to see a movie (one VERY hot summer day.)

The older folks always are the ones who head out to do some hiking. Always.

So we have a nice acronym for this phenomenon: OPKA.

Old People Kick ...

Well, you get the idea.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#174954 - 02/11/13 12:03 PM Re: Are you an old backpacker? [Re: DJ2]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'm a mere 57, but I've hiked extensively with some close friends who are over 60, a couple of guys in particular. These are guys that I met while thru-hiking the PCT. They were doing so too. One had just had double hernia surgery, but was on trail doing big miles. He went on to hike the CDT the next year, at age 65 or so I think. I hiked the majority of the Appalachian Trail with the other one.

My point here is that folks over 60 can do very extensive backpacking journeys. Certainly a degree of living sensibly prior and good genetics and good fortune all come into play. As does a modicum of backpacking experience and wisdom. And just a strong enough desire to keep getting out there.

I've run into a couple of spry 70+ years olds on trail, but definitely less of those. I'm hoping to be one of them, but time will tell!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum