Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177276 - 05/22/13 04:08 PM backcountry bass fishin
Seb Offline

hello all,

i'm looking to backpack into a mountain lake, im pretty sure there's small and largemouth bass, perch, hopefully some trout.

i have a spinning set up, i was just wondering on suggestions on how people store their tackle, i.e. lures, spoons, crankbaits worms and hooks and still keeping it relatively lightweight.

thanks in advance

#177396 - 05/28/13 10:19 AM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Seb]
Ike Offline

I have a cheap spinning setup and it's relatively lightweight on its own, but I'm not enough of a fisherman to spend big bucks on a lightweight setup.

I focus on carrying the bare essentials. Look at everything you want to have with you and determine what you need. The heaviest part of my tackle box is my pliers. When I backpack, I already have a multi-tool so that eliminates that need. I have a smaller, plastic sectioned box that I got at Walmart for less than $10 that holds enough for me. I always have hooks, crankbaits, spoons, various lures, extra line, swivels, lead crimp sinkers, small bobbers, and rope to keep my catch in the water until dinner!

I keep that plastic case in a ziploc bag since the artificial lures have a tendency to leak some lovely sticky juice over everything. I keep that case inside my pack and strap my rod to the outside.

#177467 - 05/29/13 07:39 PM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Seb]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My favorite backcountry bait are flys. I store them in a small altoids tin.

FWIW, The two flys I've caught the most fish on almost anywhere I've went are a marabou muddler and a mosquito. That'll cover bass and trout, and really most any other freshwater gamefish.

I also scrounge for and use live bait in the backountry. Grasshoppers and crickets are fair to use if you're fishing for dinner grin

"You want to go where?"

#177475 - 05/30/13 08:38 AM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Seb]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I either use a fly rod or an ULTRA ultra light spinning rig. Rooster Tails are deadly for small bass and perch. For big bass, rubber baits like lizards or worms or big top water brush popper flies. The size of a field mouse. The rods store in florescent light protector tubes (home depot). Lures/tackle store in a very small plastic box, maybe 1" thick, 6" long.
The tricky part is the rod. I have one dual purpose fly/spinning rod that breaks down into six sections. The action is horrible but does the job. Most ultralight spinning rods don't break down so you either carry them whole, or cut them down and install sleeves...a pain, but possible. You'll need to find a place that sells rod making supplies. There are some very tiny spinning reels out there, shop around.

#177476 - 05/30/13 11:00 AM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Dryer]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check Cabela's online catalog. Now this was for fly-fishing for trout, but I found an awesome 5-piece flyrod there for my grandson. Its action is so great that I almost kept it for myself! It's very light if (as I did) you make a case from a piece of plastic tubing with end caps instead of the heavy metal case (containing lead, aargh) that came with it.

#177482 - 05/30/13 05:17 PM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: OregonMouse]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've seen those, Mouse....I'm talking about the 4-5 foot ultralite spinning rods. Those are usually one piece. Probably someone, somewhere makes a take down version but I'm not willing to spend the money for one.
There are "travel rods" that are very short, 18in, that actually work very well for hiking creeks, and are indestructible. Haven't bought one yet.
Some are telescoping, some look like retasked car cell phone antennas.
Like this:
http://www.emmrod.com/

Edited by Dryer (05/30/13 05:18 PM)

#177537 - 06/02/13 01:06 PM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Dryer]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I have one of these Cadillac Telescopic Fishing Poles that also work pretty well as a hiking stick and tent pole. I think it'd work pretty well for mountain lake and stream fishing. I also have a Coleman "Pen Fishing Rod":

These are very inexpensive and light too. Not the greatest fishing rod or reel, but I've caught enough fish using sticks, cane poles, and a bit of line to not worry about having top of the line stuff.

Of course, I also have some top of the line stuff from the 1980s when I used to fish a lot, but it's not well suited for backpacking.

"You want to go where?"

#179289 - 08/19/13 07:29 PM Re: backcountry bass fishin [Re: Seb]
rocketbomb Offline

Loc: Nebraska
For bass, if you're going light, flies will really do quite well. I've fished for many years for bass (both largemouth and smallmouth) with conventional equipment, and here are a couple tips: On conventional equipment, spinnerbaits, shad raps, and plastics are my best producers. For packing, I use an Ugly Stick Pack Rod. The action is about like a somewhat stiff rubber band, but it sure works.

Fly fishing, I have a six piece Cabela's Stowaway 8wt. Clouser minnows, wooly buggers, and other baitfish patterns have done best for me. Just a couple days ago I caught an 18 inch bass and a 14.5 inch catfish on a size 14 gold bead hare's ear! I am starting to experiment with terrestrials (grasshoppers, spiders, etc) and they are OK in the right situation as well.

Panfish really like the terrestrials and small minnow pattern flies. I've caught plenty of them on some of the trout-oriented wet flies I keep around. Again, the gold bead hare's ear works wonders. Ant patterns also do well. Most of the biggest panfish I have caught (bluegill in the 9+ inch range) were actually on fair sized wooly buggers and clouser minnows.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum