Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178690 - 07/27/13 04:56 PM Help Me Chose a Tent!
Mero Offline

Hello all, I happened upon your wonderful forum in my search for a new tent and some advice from well seasoned trekking vets. Ive done all season camping, hiking, climbing and mountaineering in the Adirondacks, Rockies, Black Hills and Northwestern regions of Washington State. Im recently newlywed and my lovely wife would like to join me on trips. So I am now in the market for a relatively light 2p tent.

Im an experienced hiker at 35 years of age in solid physical condition and my budget is wide open. Some of the tents I am considering are:

REI Half Dome 2
Six Moon Lunar Duo
Stargazer 2
Hilleberg Anjan 2
Sierra Designs Flash 2
MSR Hubba Hubba

As you can see there are lots of options all with benefits and tradeoffs. Currently Im leaning more towards durability, function and comfort than a super light shelter. Thus my top 3 would be the REI, Sierra and MSR they are all roughly the same weight at ~70oz offer 2 doors and 2 vestibules.

Please help me narrow down my choice.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!

#178692 - 07/27/13 06:27 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Of the tents you list, I'd choose the MSR Hubba Hubba. I've used the Hubba tent extensively, and it never disappointed. I got a Hubba Hubba for my brother and niece to use on backpacking trips with me, and they really liked it.

#178693 - 07/27/13 07:33 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
Weldman Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, Ca
Mero,

Main Concern is how much space your wife wants, some women need a little extra space when camping, makes it more pleasant.
Especially in wet climates, seems you like to camp in areas with lots of moisture.

Personally, my wife is flexible on this as long as I keep the bugs & snakes out!

Have you looked at a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL 2.. about the same weight as the 3 tents mentioned.

Owned both used REI Half Dome 2 ( 2007 ) and orange Hubba Hubba (2009 ). REI's big selling point is the lifetime return policy no matter if its used, means you could go with all 3 and those of us that live in your area would get a deal at a Scratch & Dent on your return tents.....LOL

MSR Hubba Hubba may have slight moisture issue if not vented properly but my first choice if the Jack Rabbit is not a choice. Lighter, freestanding and no possible pole issue

Half Dome 2 newer version has a issue if not setup properly,the main poles could be twisted the wrong way and snap when installing cross pole, seen it happen at a REI Scratch & dent sale.

Sierra Flash 2 - looks good but found out its not free standing (do you want freestanding)

my personal tents now:
I have Squall 2 tarp tent, 8x 10 tarp & OR Bivy for BP.
Car / base camping a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL 3

Hope some of my input helps, depend now on your camping requirements.

Mike

#178720 - 07/28/13 09:49 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Weldman]
Mero Offline

Hmm good eye on the Flash 2 not being freestanding, not sure its a big issue as I prefer to stake my tents out anyway.

The Big Agnes JR seems good on paper albeit a tad smaller but Ive seen some less than stellar reviews on it.

I definitely dont like hearing about potential pole bending problems with the Half Dome. Id say that one is off the list.

Moisture is certainly a concern with the Hubba Hubba but I know a lot of people are fond of it.

I really wish more people had experiences with the Flash 2; Im gonna give it a whirl and let you know how it pans out.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys much appreciated!

#178721 - 07/28/13 10:10 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
lori Offline

Freestanding is not all that - you need to stake tents down regardless. "Freestanding" is another word for "box kite."

And moisture (assuming you mean condensation) is often completely unavoidable - it depends on a number of factors from site selection to weather, to how you pitch the tent - if you don't use all the stake out points (I've seen about a zillion poorly pitched tents with the fly collapsed against the netting) and you pitch over grass, and it's humid (raining or just rained, or soon to rain) you won't avoid it. I've seen it happen to an open tarp pitched six feet off the ground.

For a lightweight palace, you can't beat a 3 person MSR Carbon Reflex. Most 2 person tents are perhaps 1.5 person tents at best.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#178732 - 07/29/13 11:11 AM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
My husband and I use the Mountain Hardware Spire 2 - the winter version of the three-season Skyledge 2. It is not light (nearly 6 pounds) but is really bombproof. Although I have not used it, I think the Skyledge is designed the same, except it has more netting, and no side door snow flaps. It is pretty tight for two - OK if both of you are regular size or smaller. It is probably too narrow for bigger people.

I like the free standing tents. Yes, you still have to stake them down, but they are much easier to set up in places where you do not have a perfect site. Before staking down, you get inside, try it out and then can easily move it a few inches one way of the other to avoid a rock, etc. Also, before taking down, you just open the doors and shake out all the dirt, pine needles, etc. My solo tent is not free standing and is tedious to set up if I do not pick the best spot from the beginning and when I have to turn it inside out to get rid of the debris, getting it back to right-side-out is like a puzzle!

Pay close attention to measurements. A lot of the 2-man tents nowadays are really small. For a little extra weight you can go to a 3-man tent, which actually are similar to the size of 2-man tents about 15 years ago.

I had a MSR tent years ago, and it was really weather-proof and sturdy. They make tents for PNW conditions. It however was not the lightest nor did it have some features that I like. You will never find the "perfect" tent.

#178764 - 07/30/13 07:44 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
PDA Offline

There are only pole bending problems with the REI Halfdome if you are a complete idiot and ignore the instructions provided by REI with the tent (or in their video). Erect any tent incorrectly and you will create problems. The Halfdome is remarkable value for money yet has performance and room to compare any of the suggestions you make (not the Hilleberg of course which is in a class of its own- and a price to match).
BTW I bought my HD at an REI bent and scraped sale, very slightly bent cross pole which I straightened myself, and not a mark on the fabric. My guess was used once by an idiot. Cost me a whole $25. If I had to replace the bent pole, it would have cost $15.

#178822 - 08/01/13 09:20 AM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: PDA]
WDW4 Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY
I have another option to check out - the Mountain Hardwear Lightpath 3. Though it is listed as a 3 person, my wife and I find it has the perfect amount of room for the two of us. It ventilates well, has a good sized vestibule, and I can sit up in it (I am 6'4").

#179094 - 08/11/13 10:07 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
WyOutdoors Offline

I have the MSR Hubba Hubba. It has been an extremely good tent for two people or for my dog and me. Most tents when they say two people you will end up spooning. Not the hubba hubba, there's plenty of room.

#179161 - 08/13/13 05:50 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: WyOutdoors]
coolerwill Offline

Just wanted to point out that REI does not offer a lifetime warranty any more. Their warranty is now 1 year.
Also, I have a SMD Lunar Duo and am thrilled with it.

#179162 - 08/13/13 06:05 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: coolerwill]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Actually, the old REI warranty still stands if the item is defective. Just not if you don't like it. I note that other companies that have offered lifetime warranties have stopped, too.

Edited by OregonMouse (08/13/13 06:06 PM)

#179169 - 08/14/13 04:28 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: OregonMouse]
coolerwill Offline

ll bean and eddie bauer are the two gear stores I can think of offhand that still offer unconditional lifetime warranties.
And backcountry.com as well.

Edited by coolerwill (08/14/13 04:46 PM)

#179172 - 08/14/13 06:28 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: coolerwill]
OregonMouse Offline

Per the backcountry.com website: :

Quote:
Not stoked on your gear? Looking to return it or make an exchange? No problem. If your new and unused gear just doesn’t fit your needs, we will issue you a full refund. If your gear fails, at anytime, we will also issue you a full credit. No questions asked.

• You can return your new purchase at anytime after purchase

o Products must be in the condition you received them in and the original box and/or packaging

• We do accept used gear – as long as it is received within 90 days of purchase date – and we will issue a credit for full purchase price

So unless you haven't used the item, it's really 90 days, unless it's defective.. Still disguised as "lifetime."

Edited by OregonMouse (08/14/13 07:42 PM)

#179174 - 08/14/13 07:20 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I have to wonder if this is another case of too much abuse ruining a good thing. I know I've read, here and on other boards, of people giving advice to "take it on a couple of trips and return it if you don't like it," and, while standing in line at REI the other day, the guy in front of me said he was returning his 10-year-old tent because "a zipper finally failed, and I really used that tent a lot." He was expecting to get a replacement or a full refund - essentially, get a new tent - for free, to replace one that he had worn out!

I'm sorry, but that's abuse of a policy - and it ruins it for those who really need it.

#179176 - 08/14/13 07:41 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Offline

I agree, Glenn, and REI's prices definitely reflect the cost of that abuse!

REI still gives you a year, which should be plenty long enough--unless like me, you stick the box of what you want to return in the back of the closet and keep forgetting to take it with you! I have two items I'll have to put on For Sale, but that's my fault!

The year is waived if the item is defective (hopefully that will exclude your example with the 10-year-old zipper!).

Edited by OregonMouse (08/14/13 07:44 PM)

#179177 - 08/14/13 08:00 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

From what I gathered from our chat in line, the zipper wasn't defective until the last day; for the first 9 years and 364 days it worked great - and it may have had needed some ham-fisted encouragement to become defective on day 365!

#179186 - 08/15/13 08:35 AM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
BillgGruff Offline

Loc: Troutdale, Oregon
two doors and two vestibules. Easy to set up, 2 vestibules for gear. They look good on the trail and there are two vestibules! and two doors.

I think just about everyone makes a half dome style tent...

#179244 - 08/17/13 10:22 AM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: BillgGruff]
dcm579 Offline

Loc: Sacramento Valley
We use the REI Quarter Dome 3 for two people. I carry poles and Body she carries fly, lots of room for 2, boots, clothes etc. Works for us...

#179258 - 08/18/13 10:19 PM Re: Help Me Chose a Tent! [Re: Mero]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I've had a Lunar Duo for 4 years now and love it. It also has 2 doors and vestibules. It's held up quite well though I don't get out a lot with it (I tarp when solo). Just survived torrential downpours on a flooded tent pad in the Smokies and our's was the only one in the Troop that didn't get water in it. That's with just the 30D floor, too. I had patched 2 tiny holes I'd gotten in the floor (I also don't use a groundcloth). It's a true 2-person. 4 people could sit in it to play cards if necessary.

The 2 main downsides (assuming you already carry trekking poles):
1. single wall so you may get more condensation than one of the others depending on location and conditions
2. not freestanding so you must stake everything (6 stakes). Very simple to pitch.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum