Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180334 - 10/21/13 06:12 PM Re: Traildog photos [Re: DTape]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By DTape
We taught ours the verbal commands with the hand signals simultaneously.

Actually, I did too. What I've noticed is that they respond to hand signals first.

I prefer using them for sit, stay, and come, commands. I really should say I think dogs seem to prefer them. smile

We currently have a pack of dogs. Two of them are pups. I've been taking all five of them with me on my warm up hikes in the forest behind our house. They zoom all over the place. No rabbit goes unchased.

Ruby, who's about 18 months old now, will be my hiking partner. She's the only one I'll take with me. I was supposed to take her mom, Annie, but my wife wants her at home when I go, so I've been working with Ruby since she was born and she's ready now. I'll post a pic when we do our first trip.

"You want to go where?"

#180337 - 10/21/13 06:55 PM Re: Traildog photos [Re: billstephenson]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I guess I mentioned the verbal commands first because that's how the obedience class did it. They didn't bring in hand signals until the level 3 class. I agree, it is fine to teach the two together. The hand signals are necessary to teach the "down on recall" maneuver (you know, for when your dog runs across the street, you call him to come, and a car appears).

Hysson always hated "down"--it was usually very slow-motion--but he did it faster when I used the hand signal. Then there was the first time we took the AKC Canine Good Citizen test. The judge was a long-time instructor in the obedience classes, so of course Hysson regarded her as a close friend. When I called him to "come," he was looking at her instead of me, so he went to her instead. Sorry, no pass! That's why I mentioned getting the dog's attention first!

Bill, are you also going to take the burros? We haven't heard about them for a while!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/21/13 07:03 PM)

#180339 - 10/21/13 10:38 PM Re: Traildog photos [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
Bill, are you also going to take the burros? We haven't heard about them for a while!

Thank you for asking...

You know, when I found this forum that was my plan. I learned enough here to lighten my load enough to carry it all myself so that hasn't been a priority since. I really didn't expect that to happen.

Right now I don't have a way to transport the burros to the trailhead. It's been that way since shortly after I got them. We had a big Ford Expedition and a horse trailer back then (we used to have a horse). First we sold the Ford, then we sold the horse trailer. I had a little Suzuki Samurai and I bought a utility trailer to haul the donks but the Samurai wouldn't pull them, actually, it wouldn't stop. I finally sold the trailer, then got tired of driving the Samurai and bought a little Ford pickup that can tow the burros, but I need a trailer now.

One of these days I will get things all lined up and get the burros on the trail, but we still go for hikes in the forest behind the barnyard and pasture and they love it.

I'm really looking forward to bringing Ruby with me this year too though. She's fits in the truck with me and she's great off trail. She's very protective too, not aggressive at all towards people, but while we're in the forest out back she runs circles around me, just like my old dog Tucker used to do, checking the perimeter and making sure it's all safe for me. And when we're just sitting there she'll catch a whiff of something and jump up and sound the alert and go check it out if need be. She's just fun to hang out with.

She's the only dog we have that will go into the barnyard alone. The others are all afraid of the burros, and for good reason. I've seen those burros smack cats and dogs around quite a few times. I'm not sure what happened, but those burros show Ruby a great deal of respect now. I've never seen her be vicious to anything, but I have seen her growl at those donks if they get too close to her, and they just don't even do that anymore now. They give her all the room she wants. If Ruby follows me when I feed the burros all the other dogs will too, but they never go back there without her.

She's a good dog and should be fun to have along backpacking. I've hiked with a quite a few dogs, and camped with quite a few more. I've only backpacked with a few. Some of them have been great, and some have been real pains, most were just dogs being dogs, but I'm pretty sure Ruby will be right up there with the best of them.

"You want to go where?"

#182261 - 01/25/14 01:18 AM Re: Traildog photos [Re: squark]
dogdude Offline

Loc: BC Canada
A few photos of my little dude out and about.

#182403 - 02/01/14 11:38 AM Re: Traildog photos [Re: dogdude]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
Sweet!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum