Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179142 - 08/13/13 12:09 PM Newbie Advice
dwestrick Offline

Hello everyone! I’ve lurked on this fine site for some time. Has helped me decide that his is a hobby I want to pursue. Little background - Wife and I taking up hobby. We have the majority of the necessary gear. We are planning our first weekend trip in late Sept up in Northern Michigan. My main question - for beginners on relatively flat ground - what's a normal/average ground (miles) to cover in a day. We’re both in good shape and won’t be carrying a ton of stuff. Is 10 miles pretty doable? Sorry if this is a dumb question – thanks!

#179143 - 08/13/13 12:18 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: dwestrick]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
10 miles per day in Michigan is very doable on trails. Bushwhacking and all bets are off. 2 MPH is a very normal pace on relatively flat ground such as MI.

#179144 - 08/13/13 12:43 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: dwestrick]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Even on flat ground ten miles with a pack on your back can leave you sore if your not used to it.

For your first trip I'd suggest you either cut that down to around six miles, or take a ten mile walk with no backpack and see how you feel afterwards. If you're not sore afterwards then load your packs and do a few miles to see how you do. If it's all good, do it.

"You want to go where?"

#179145 - 08/13/13 12:47 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: GrumpyGord]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
That sounds about right to me for southwestern Ohio (not a lot different terrain) - however, if you're not sure about your abilities, choose a trail that offers a "bail-out" point about 4-6 miles in.

Alternatively, head to a car-camp. Load up all your gear in the morning, and head out on a 10-mile loop that brings you back to the car that night. You'll be simulating a "real" backpack by carrying everything, and you'll get the chance to try out all the skills and equipment during the day (maybe that water filter isn't as easy to use as you thought? Or using a cathole takes some practice?), with the safety-valve of a car if something goes badly wrong. If that trip goes well, head out "for real."

Have a great time, and have fun.

#179147 - 08/13/13 02:40 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: Glenn Roberts]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd make it shorter, like about 5 miles, for your first trip. In other words, I very much agree with Glenn and Bill. Remember, also, the days will be shorter. The first few times out, you want to camp early enough that all your chores are done by sunset.

Hopefully you will already have tried out your gear in the back yard, putting the tent up and down several times, cooking with your little stove on the patio, even sleeping out there overnight. Camp routines will take a lot of extra time your first few trips anyway; you definitely don't want to be trying to set up the tent for the first time on a dark and stormy night with instructions in one hand and flashlight in the other! If you can't do this ahead of time, definitely do the car camp/dayhike routine for your first trip. And, as I said above, camp early so you have plenty of daylight!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/13/13 02:45 PM)

#179153 - 08/13/13 03:31 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: dwestrick]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
dwestrick,

That's not a dumb question at all, as I think the previous posters have made clear.

Not sure I've walked the same trails you're discussing, but I've hiked extensively in that same general area. There ain't any serious hills to speak of, but it ain't flat either, and generally the trails are rough and wet.

After say 15 days on the trail, being in great shape and with a light pack, ten miles would be pretty much the minimum. For the rest of us, billstephenson is right, six would be a whole lot safer. And I agree with Glen about having a previously identified bailout point (I often did that when leading groups that included beginners). I will also second strongly Oregon Mouse's advice about planning to stop with plenty of daylight (and knowing your gear). You can always go further next time

Finally, I want to add one new thing. Bring food you'll look forward to eating and that requires very little preparation. The point of all this is to make sure you actually do enjoy it so that there really will be a next time.

best, jcp

#179154 - 08/13/13 03:35 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: OregonMouse]
dwestrick Offline

Very good advice, thank you. I'm definitely thinking less miles now. Many thanks!

#179155 - 08/13/13 03:36 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: JPete]
dwestrick Offline

Originally Posted By JPete
dwestrick,

That's not a dumb question at all, as I think the previous posters have made clear.

Not sure I've walked the same trails you're discussing, but I've hiked extensively in that same general area. There ain't any serious hills to speak of, but it ain't flat either, and generally the trails are rough and wet.

After say 15 days on the trail, being in great shape and with a light pack, ten miles would be pretty much the minimum. For the rest of us, billstephenson is right, six would be a whole lot safer. And I agree with Glen about having a previously identified bailout point (I often did that when leading groups that included beginners). I will also second strongly Oregon Mouse's advice about planning to stop with plenty of daylight (and knowing your gear). You can always go further next time

Finally, I want to add one new thing. Bring food you'll look forward to eating and that requires very little preparation. The point of all this is to make sure you actually do enjoy it so that there really will be a next time.

best, jcp

very awesome advice on the food. I'm definitely planning to suprise the Mrs with a great meal. Thanks for taking the time all of you to respond to my rookie questions.

#179157 - 08/13/13 04:31 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: dwestrick]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By dwestrick
very awesome advice on the food. I'm definitely planning to suprise the Mrs with a great meal.
A great meal doesn't have to be complicated either. I took my wife on her first trip in 30 years or so for our anniversary and made my normal freezer bag meals.

Also make sure you have sufficient clothing & gear for the temps. You don't want her to be chilly though that may also encourage extra snuggling. wink

#179163 - 08/13/13 06:09 PM Re: Newbie Advice [Re: dwestrick]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One thing for sure, you should plan carefully so that you're not trying to fetch water in the dark! Don't ask me how I know this! blush

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum