Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178967 - 08/06/13 04:31 PM FAster than me
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
And you, and you, and you and....
Quote:
A California man raising money for an animal welfare group appears to be on the verge of setting a new record for walking the 2,655-mile Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada.

Backers say Josh Garrett, 30, a college track coach and fitness instructor, could shave several days of the current record of 64 days, 11 hours and 19 minutes for hiking the trail.

Garrett’s trek is being sponsored by Whole Foods CEO John Mackey, whom Garrett has hiked with.

Garrett, who became a vegan two years ago, has said his goal is to call attention to what he calls the cruel treatment of animals being raised for food. He is seeking donations for the organization Mercy for Animals.

He began his Pacific Crest journey at the Mexican border June 10 and on Monday was in the Cascades east of Arlington, with about 124 miles left to hike. He has been averaging more than 44 miles a day, and backers expect him to reach the Canadian border Thursday.
--Seattle Times

Not a big fan of backpacking "records" and don't know if he's actually backpacking or doing a long series of supported ultras, but I've gotta say: impressive.

Cheers,

#178972 - 08/06/13 09:26 PM Re: FAster than me [Re: Rick_D]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Lame excuse if you ask me, hike to hike not to bring your political views to the forefront. I would be impressed but can't get over the reason.

#178976 - 08/06/13 11:13 PM Re: FAster than me [Re: Rick_D]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
44 miles a day is unreal...

#178981 - 08/07/13 03:09 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: ETSU Pride]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
And what about "Anish," who crossed US2 (Stevens Pass) Saturday night and is expected to reach the Canadian border probably tomorrow? (Or she may already be there!) She has been doing quite a few 50 mile days, although she has slowed a bit on northern Washington's rougher terrain. Unlike the Whole Foods guy, she's doing it without support except the usual trail angel stuff (although a lot of would-be trail angels have managed to miss her, she's so speedy). Portlandhikers.org has a long thread about her on their forum starting here.

I'm not a fan of dashing through such beautiful scenery in such a big hurry, but YMMV, HYOH and all that. As long as they don't try to shove me off the trail to get by, which has happened to me a time or two with trail runners....

Edited by OregonMouse (08/07/13 03:21 AM)

#178986 - 08/07/13 08:46 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: OregonMouse]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
That's insane and impressive. It's amazing what humans can do, huh?

#178991 - 08/07/13 10:51 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I'd heard about Anish, not this guy until now. It does get a little weird insofar as the speed records are generally talked about as "unsupported". I'm sure that what he's doing is impressive in any event.

In terms of being pushed off the trail by people zipping by --- when I hiked the PCT in 2008 I met Scott Williamson and Tatu Joe as they were doing about a 65 day new speed record that year (unsupported). My wife was hiking that stretch of Oregon with me and I also happened to be walking with a well known trail supporter named Halfmile when they caught up to us.

They stopped and must have talked with us for about half an hour. Didn't sit down, didn't bother to take their packs off, just stopped and talked. I was thinking something along the line of "Don't waste your time with us, you're doing a speed record!". But they were so relaxed and obviously having a good time on the trail.

That had a real impact on me, setting a new record yet being relaxed and having fun while doing it.

#179009 - 08/07/13 09:06 PM Re: FAster than me [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Latest is that Anish passed Harts Pass about 1:40 pm and expects to finish before midnight.

#179015 - 08/08/13 08:55 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: OregonMouse]
bluefish Offline

The supported and unsupported hikes are certainly in separate classes. I hope her record stands until she decides to break it herself. Absolutely inspiring and beyond incredible. Hard to comprehend what an amazing feat she's pulled off.

#179018 - 08/08/13 09:30 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

Some thru hikers are also backpackers, but thru hiking is not backpacking, IMO. Every book you read (well, the majority of them) you see them getting to the point where they are either all about miles, all about food, or all about finishing.... I read a recent freebie from Kindle, Gang of One, and the guy spent way more time meeting his wife in her camper than hiking and talking about the trail and scenery...

Another reason that if I ever do the PCT it will be a long series of section hikes over a number of years, and not a contiguous trip. I'm not a thru hiker.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179019 - 08/08/13 11:43 AM Re: FAster than me [Re: lori]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"...you see them getting to the point where they are either all about miles, all about food, or all about finishing"

While of course there's a lot of commonality, not all thru-hikers do their hikes the same way or focus on the same things. I've met people with a couple of hundred miles to go who just hated it but were gutting it out so that they didn't have to say that they quit. Last year on an October trip I met sort of the laggards, and it was a bit odd for me --- they seemed sort of like 'my tribe' but sort of not, too. An eclectic bunch in their own right with various reasons why they were still on trail in October.

Food certainly does become an obsession. It's just "part of it", though, and I don't think that makes it any less 'backpacking'. Doing the miles is just something you have to do, it's background. In fact, I've rarely been on any sort of backpacking trip where folks weren't aware of how much mileage they have to do for their alloted trip time. Thru-hikers just can and do more per day on average. I certainly agree that if it gets to be *just* about the miles, it's not like more typical backpacking.

Rather than say "thru-hiking is not backpacking", I'd suggest instead a broader definition of backpacking that includes many style variants. An overnight trip with kids is quite different than a week-long trip with a group of fit and experienced friends, but both are backpacking. Base-camping and doing a series of day-hikes from the basecamp is different than doing a long loop hike. Etc.

Doing long distance trips has changed my default way (personal style) of backpacking; much of the approach used for longer trips I retain from habit and preference now on short trips. I really do think that "it's all good".

If you ever do the PCT, I suggest a sort of 'third way', what some now call Chunk hiking. More than a section at a time, less than a thru. That way (if you have the time of course), you reap the benefit of getting into shape and up to speed in a way that section hikers don't, yet you're not setting aside months and months at a time. Also, travel logistics are less of a hit on a per-mile-hiked basis.

Section hikers are always dealing with a lot of travel and other logistic issues, and are always "just getting back up to speed" (often both mentally and physically). It's hard to express how great it is to get fully ramped up and strong and then still have a lot of miles yet to walk to be able to really enjoy that.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum