Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#178251 - 07/07/13 06:32 PM Gear list
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I am headed out tomorrow for 2 trips/ 1 drive. The trailheads are only a hour apart, so instead of driving home and going back I am going to pick up new food and do the second trip at the same time. Since many others have listed their "kit", I will summarize the weight, but not list each item.

First is a 9-day trip to Blackcap Basin area in the Sierra, second 7-day trip to the lakes around Seldon Pass (on the PCT). Both trips I plan on a lot of off-trail travel and return on off-trail routes that will likely involve some bushwhacking. I plan to fish on both trips.

Blackcap trip- 8 days food/ 10 pounds/ 2295 calories per day
33.2 pounds total pack weight
5.2 pounds trekking poles/clothing worn/ camera on hip belt
28.0 pounds starting pack weight
16.1 pounds "base weight" on back/ 21.3 # incl. clothes worn

Seldon Pass trip- 6 days food/ 7.3 pounds/ 2273 calories p/d
27.6 pounds total
5.1 pounds clothing worn + trekking poles
22.5 pounds starting pack weight
14.4 pounds "base weight" on back/19.5 incl. clothes/poles/camera

Difference in gear (second trip vs first):
Ursack vs Bearikade
1 medium fuel can vs. 1 medium + 1 small
1 water bottle vs. 2 (have to climb a long dry stretch)
rimless mosquito net vs rim net
short gaiters vs long gaiters (anticipate more mosquitoes)

I am not 100% sure of the bear can requirements (they seem to change often) so may have to use the Bearikade on the second trip too. I will find out when I get my permits.

I am not bringing wading shoes on either (which I may regret!) but water is low this year. I also am not bringing rain pants. May have to throw them in for the second trip. Fishing gear is minimal - fly rod (case is a split foam), a few flies, short line, very small reel. I am bringing the larger pot instead of solo pot, because it is nearly impossible to cook fish in a solo pot! Fire restrictions are in effect so will not be able to cook fish on the fire. The diet is short on protein so I really do need to catch some fish.

I have a Tarptent Moment (2.5 lb with tyvak ground sheet and 6 stakes), and WM Super Antelope sleeping bag(10 degree bag, 3 pounds with stuff sack), and Golite Quest pack (3 pounds). Were it not for mosquitoes, I would take my bivy sack at 1#4 oz. If mosquitoes miraculously disappear by the second trip, I will do that (wishful thinking!).

As you can see I am not UL or even "light", but it works for me. I can get by on less food than most people so I guess I make up weight there. Also, I usually carry only half a liter of water (this is NOT included in my weight). I use chlorine tabs, and actually drink out of streams quite a bit. I will have to carry water the last day of both trips because they involve some dry off-trail walking.

Luckily, the second trailhead is close to Mono Hot Springs - - hot shower between trips! I will take the ferry across Florence Lake - it is a nice ride.

#178253 - 07/07/13 08:53 PM Re: Gear list [Re: wandering_daisy]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
My first thought was... how can she get by on so few calories?? confused Sure wish I could do that.

Personally, I think your pack weights are light. They are certainly lighter than I can make mine yet.

Do you not have luck with bug spray? I never take clothes with the express purpose of warding off skeeters, as DEET works great for me.

#178257 - 07/07/13 10:41 PM Re: Gear list [Re: immortal.ben]
wandering_daisy Offline

I tend to have sensitivities to bug spray. Actually the eucylptus stuff is the worst - the smell actually gives me nausea. DEET less so, but I always get it in my eyes. I think I was a mosquito in my previous life. The stuff that is supposed to kill them nearly kills me and they love to swarm around me.

I have to up the calories to 2,600 per day at the end of the season. Early on I have some stored energy on my body that I really wish to get rid of! I am not very big. I vary between 108 and 118 pounds. So extrapolate that to a 200 pound guy and the calories are about right for my weight. And, all my clothes are proportionally smaller so weigh less. I can fit into a lot of kids clothes.

I really need to get a 30-degree sleeping bag. Since all I have now is the 10-degree bag and a 50-degree low elevation summer bag, I have to carry a pound + extra because it is all I have.

#178260 - 07/07/13 11:50 PM Re: Gear list [Re: wandering_daisy]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Jealous! Don't know Blackcap Basin but I do know the Seldon Pass area and it's simply one of the most magical places I've been. Happy, happy travels.

Cheers,

#178265 - 07/08/13 08:57 AM Re: Gear list [Re: wandering_daisy]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Looking forward to the pics!

#178277 - 07/08/13 10:04 PM Re: Gear list [Re: ETSU Pride]
immortal.ben Offline

Loc: Arizona
Since I have decided to have only two bags, I go with a 30 and a 0 degree. It works pretty well, for me at least.

I am also looking forward to pics and report. smile

#178305 - 07/10/13 04:00 PM Re: Gear list [Re: immortal.ben]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Nancy, I'd thought you'd have a little lighter pack than that, although a canister gets the weight up some. I've been at those weights with a canister though, trying for mid 20's this year.
Duane

#178607 - 07/23/13 10:30 AM Re: Gear list [Re: hikerduane]
wandering_daisy Offline

My "total weight" is in high 20's but that includes everything I am wearing and trekking poles. Pack weight IS in the low 20's. For me, the weight that matters is that on my back. My pack weight kills me long before I run out of energy.

I just returned last night. Ended up using the bear canister for both trips. Finished the first trip one day early, so added one day food to the second, however, ended up doing the second trip on schedule. So, I had too much food, plus, I ate so much fish that I did not eat all the dinner food (great fishing on both trips). Both trips were very HOT! Except for one night with frost, and one rainy night, I could have done fine with my very light 50-degree bag. Two miserable nights out of 14, and I could have done with one less pound. Is that worth it? Depends.

I will get a trip report out later. I swear I took hundreds of photos and now I have to sort through them all!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum