Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177147 - 05/17/13 10:14 PM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Swizzle]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hmmm... you may want to feed him more. A 43 pound 9 year old? Seriously? How tall is he? My 46 pound 6 year old has always been small for his age.

Anyway, at that age I'd skip over the Tarn 18 for sure since he's sure to hit a big growth spurt any day. Sadly there aren't any lightweight (< 2 lbs) kids packs that are adjustable torso that I know of. As I said, I'll likely end up making my son's next pack. After that one I have a women's small Golite Jam that should work well. That's what I and his older brother use (also for Scouts).

#177149 - 05/17/13 11:51 PM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Swizzle]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By Swizzle
I kinda get the feeling everyone thinks I'm standing behind him with a whip and forcing him to climb a mountain with a loaded pack. That's not the case at all. I would take his whole pack if I needed to. His pack before he left the house was down to 15lbs and I ended up carrying his sleeping bag and his tent. I know that overloading him would only keep him from enjoying the outdoors and that is the last thing that i want to do.
First off hats off to any dad taking his kid/kids out camping! It does seem a bit overkill about the weight a kid carries but it is absolutely critical to the success of integrating a child to a life outdoors. Again you are so far advanced as a parent involved and encouraging, the next step is to gracefully take the advice from those who know better. Please keep it up and don't give up on us and reread the advice given, it's not to critique you, but to complement your excellent effort! Pm me if you need any one on one info.

#177156 - 05/18/13 11:11 PM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Swizzle]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I'm an external frame user, and I ended up buying internals for my two older kids (now 8 and 10) that backpack with me.

My kids are long and skinny - the 8 year old just went over 50 pounds, the 10 year old just went over 60 - 25th percentile for weight/75th percentile for height. I know what you're facing here...

topshot's advice about weight is spot on. Weight and warmth are the only important things here. Once you're walking, you're warm, but the bag has to be warm enought at night, because there might not be a fire. Weight is important because you can't move if it's too heavy.

I started all my kids (the third one is joining us this summer) with their ten essentials at 6, and I focused on weight when I bought them, and limited the amount of water they carried. I'm keeping the kid's packweight at 10% of body weight - and did three mile in/three mile out sort of hikes with them.

I just bought the almost 10 year old an REI comet - they are on sale at the outlet, and if you order them delivered to your local store they are easy to return if they don't fit. Internals are harder to load well than externals (as it sounds like you experienced).

An alternative is DJ2's pack which is a lightweight external that you'd have to build. I am still playing with this option for me. If I can get it to work this summer I'll start playing with it for kids.

Best advice (and it sounds like you're going there anyway) is to get a scale, make a gear list, and weigh everything that went into your son's pack last time. That will guide your efforts to lighten his load.

Second piece of advice; consider sharing a shelter. Scouts usually work on the buddy system, and tents are HEAVY unless you buy specialty gear (see the conversations on this site).

Good luck with the challenge you're facing. It's hard to teach new skills.

Steadman
(occassional backpacker and father of 4).

#177546 - 06/02/13 11:39 PM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Steadman]
kevinhansen Offline

This is a good thread. I have 4 little ones, the oldest just turned 8. Tomorrow we are all going for a beta test hike. We will try the tape on items trick to see what we don't use.
Kevin

#177548 - 06/02/13 11:43 PM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: kevinhansen]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By kevinhansen
This is a good thread. I have 4 little ones, the oldest just turned 8. Tomorrow we are all going for a beta test hike. We will try the tape on items trick to see what we don't use.
Kevin
awesome! Please post a trip report!

#178028 - 06/25/13 09:33 AM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
And now I have to eat my words. I just tried the new version of the Osprey Atmos 50 pack this weekend, and I think it may become my go-to pack. If I had to classify it, I'd say it was an external frame pack: you can see the frame, and it has a trampoline backpanel. However, it's not the old aluminum-pipe frame, with a three-quarters length pack bag pinned to it; it's small-diameter aluminum with an internal-style packbag firmly affixed to it. It doesn't have the "bounce" usually associated with external frames, nor does it move against you when you turn. The packbag is an uncluttered design that has all the features I use, and none that I don't (except for ice-ax loops; not that many snowfields and glaciers in Ohio.)

As I looked at other Deuter and Osprey models, I seem to see a lot of trampoline backs with frames buried inside the pack - a perimeter frame, usually, instead of the old X-style stays or single stays. They look like internal frames, but they have some of the structural advantages of external frames.

What I learned (talking to a visiting friend from Virginia, who works in an outfitter's there) was that the Osprey Kestrel and Deuter ACT Zero packs did not fit me as well as I thought. While the adjustable torso length could be set right, the problem came with the load lifters: the frame itself (the lenght of the back of the pack) was too short, and as a result, I was getting a zero-degree (or even negative) angle between the frame and shoulder straps - which was why I could never get the load entirely off my shoulders. (At 18 pounds, it never got truly uncomfortable, but my shoulders were a bit tired at the end of the day. I thought I was just out of shape.) The Atmos frame was a couple of inches longer, and I now have a good 45-degree angle between the shoulder straps and the pack frame - and the load can come entirely off my shoulders.

So, now I'm starting to think that it may no longer make sense to think of "internal v. external" but instead to simply say that you need to get the pack that is most comfortable for you. The lines between the two types appear to have blurred considerably, and the pack makers seem to now borrow freely from the best of both styles to make some "hybrid" packs that don't fit easily into either category.

As I found out this weekend, you're never to old to have an "Aha!" moment (or, in my case, a full-blown Homer Simpson "Doh!" moment.)

#178564 - 07/21/13 02:17 AM Re: Backpack for my son [Re: Swizzle]
lesspayne Offline

Swizzle
I'm new here but I have ordered what I think is the perfect pack. It is a MOLLE style pack. It weighs a mere 1.5 pounds and is the most versatile pack I have ever seen. You can carry any load you want, from you lightweight summer setup, your winter setup, it can carry tools and equipment, it can be stripped down after you have made camp and used to carry firewood back to the camp. The pack is also adjustable. Both the shoulder straps and the hip belt adjust to fit any size torso so as he grows you can adjust the pack to fit him. And I can go on and on about his pack so let me shut-up and post a link to the Molly Mac Pack (MMP) http://www.mollymacpack.com/pack.html.
It's not very pretty but watch Rat's reviews on you tube he gives a very good detailed view of the pack and shows how to build different loads. I don't work for the company but I highly recommend them.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum