Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177612 - 06/05/13 05:27 PM My evolution
kevinhansen Offline

I started Rock Climbing in 1995, Ice climbing in 2002, Big Wall climbing in 2003, and general mountaineering in 2005. Over the years I've acquired ultra-lite gear and tips I read in Backpacker. My oldest was born in 2007 and we have had a kid every 2 years since then. Now I've stated to think maybe my kids need a Dad more than a climber, meaning I climb a lot and don't spend enough time with the little ones. Maybe backpacking can be a substitute for climbing?
This week I decided to conduct a simulation. Not real backpacking, but something close. I wanted to see what my little ones are capable of so we did a test run in the backyard. We packed the (1)tent, (2)pads, (5)sleeping bags, (4)PJ's, food, water, stove, spoons, cups, and (4) diapers. The kids insisted on carrying their own sleeping bags which are Sierra Designs 2 pound 20 degree bags. Which for June in Idaho, Perfect!
We left the house at 7pm walked a half a mile, and turned around and came home at 8pm. We've camped in the backyard before so the kids know the drill.
Here are the stat's;
Dad weighs 180 and 220 with the pack = 19%.
Mom weighs 146 and 174 with the pack = 16%.
Winter 8-year-old daughter weighs 42 and 49 with the pack = 14%
West 6-year-old son weighs 41 and 47 with the pack =13%
Walker 3-year-old son weighs 29 and 30 with the pack = 4%
Whisper 1-year-old daughter weighs 18 and was carried by mom in the "Kelty" kid carrier.

Results?
After one mile of flat ground the kids were more bored than anything. Winter stated to complain, but not too bad, The boys were ready for more. Sleep came but the baby (Whisper) kept scooting forward out of her bag in the night. Walker woke up at 7:30 and said "That's good enough sleep for me!" He started looking for breakfast.
I have a few lakes in the Sawtooth range in mind. Many have a 2-5 mile approach. Stay tuned.
Kevin

#177876 - 06/18/13 04:16 PM Re: My evolution [Re: kevinhansen]
kevinhansen Offline

[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030302_zps71800d63.jpg?t=1371586137[/img] We didn't look in Walkers Pack till we got into camp. I told him to pack PJ's and a diaper. Can you spot the other 10 essentials?
[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030295_zpsfa1513ff.jpg?t=1371585960[/img] Dad has a Cilo Gear Work Sack 45L and is carrying Mom's sleeping bag in hand. Anyone have experience with Big Agnes King Solomon?

[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030293_zps6e51b5c4.jpg?t=1371585337[/img]
Mom has baby, and she is enough.
[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030291_zpsd67bb283.jpg?t=1371584980[/img]
Winter is excited.
[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030292_zps27d68ded.jpg?t=1371585085[/img] West is ready to go.
[img:left]http://i1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii496/climbinghalfdome/P6030290_zps1a46dcd1.jpg?t=1371584865[/img] Don't hide it Walker show us how you feel.

#177915 - 06/19/13 01:16 PM Re: My evolution [Re: kevinhansen]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Looks like you have a lot of fun.

#178196 - 07/04/13 01:11 PM Re: My evolution [Re: kevinhansen]
Mama Rachael Offline

Loc: Central Texas
looks like a ton of fun, and I look forward to hearing more! What are your plans? to hike out, camp, hike back kind of thing? Are you carrying pretty much all the gear?

We've got one little guy, and trying to learn how to do this! We love backpacking, its just the dynamics are so different with a 2 year old.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum