Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177631 - 06/06/13 07:28 PM Dog Booties
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I have been looking at dog booties and they seem to have mixed reviews. I am taking my dog backpacking tomorrow - short trip so am not taking booties. They are really expensive to "try" and if the dog will not wear them or they do not work, that is a lot of dollars down the drain. For this trip, instead, I am just taking vet wrap so if she gets sore paws I will just wrap them. We walk 5 miles a day now, on rough surfaces, and the trip will have less daily miles, so I think we are OK for now. But for longer trips, I wonder. Any recommendations?

#177641 - 06/07/13 10:16 AM Re: Dog Booties [Re: wandering_daisy]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I have dog booties for Ember, but she never needed them. I picked up a cheap set on eBay to keep for emergencies.

I recommend that you have a video camera handy the first time you put booties on your dog. Watching them plop their paws around the first time is pretty entertaining.

#177663 - 06/08/13 04:16 PM Re: Dog Booties [Re: PerryMK]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Above all, do not laugh at the dog! That will be difficult, but Hysson sure knew I was laughing at him and refused to wear the booties ever after.

#177666 - 06/08/13 06:47 PM Re: Dog Booties [Re: OregonMouse]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
We just got back and came out after one night even though we planned on two nights. What I found out (and feel pretty bad about) is that I did not diagnose the beat up paws. Small round spots of paw came off, sort of like loosing a callus, on each back paw. In the morning it looked OK so I did not tape them. We left primarily because mosquitoes were thick and I did not want to add to mileage and a camp day would have been hard given the bugs. Anyway, when we got home and I gave the dog a bath the paws were quite pink and the two "holes" looked worse. I kept looking at her paws as we came out and she never limped or favored a paw. She is one tired puppy right now! So, even though I had the first aid supplies I think I misjudged the seriousness of the paw problem. In 20-20 hindsight I should have wrapped her paws for our return trip. From how she did this trip, I think she is a dog that really needs to wear booties.

#177749 - 06/11/13 02:11 PM Re: Dog Booties [Re: wandering_daisy]
squark Offline

Loc: SF bay area, CA
I usually see dog boot sets at REI garage sales. I can't really speak to their effectiveness, but for $10, might be worth a try. Also, Tuf-Foot comes highly recommended on a sheepdog forum.

#182569 - 02/07/14 01:53 PM Re: Dog Booties [Re: wandering_daisy]
ragazzo Offline

Loc: NJ
I bought a pair of cheap booties for my pup on sale at REI on impulse. He does not like them at all, but is starting to get used to them. I kind of estimated the sizing and may not have bought the correct size. They seem to fit OK, but one bootie always seems to fall off. I've pretty much stopped using them and have switched to using Musher's Secret when the ground is super cold and/or salty or if the ground is very hot. My little dude and I have not gone on any overnight hiking trips yet, but so far on the 3-4 mile day trips that we take his pads have been OK.

Edited by ragazzo (02/07/14 01:55 PM)

Moderator:  Glenn Roberts 
Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum