Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177185 - 05/20/13 12:08 AM Temperature changes and gear question
Blackcat Offline

I live in Canadas Northern rocky mountains. In winter the temperature is average minus 25F as low as minus 50F. In the spring and summer the temperature can range between plus 20F in the day to below freezing at night possibly minus 5-10F Im just getting into hiking and camping out here and I don't want to carry a whole lot of extra gear. One pair of hiking boots one sleeping bag one tent and so on. With such a range of temperature ratings how do I make sense of what I need to stay alive and stay comfortable if I was out on a warm day and it dropped below freezing. Im mostly thinking of hiking boots and sleeping bags. I can make fires and shelter as well if need be to turn up the heat a little. I see hiking boots for minus 40 and standard ones for well above freezing... I have no idea... Its confusing. What are the basics of temperature control. Would it be better to go light and then add warmth through fire and shelter if needed ? Thanks.

#177189 - 05/20/13 07:23 AM Re: Temperature changes and gear question [Re: Blackcat]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Blackcat,

I'm afraid my experience is exactly what you are trying to avoid.

When I did that kind of stuff (but not nearly as extreme), my answer was a very big pack. I used a standard Duluth.

The answer to the boot problem was (always has been, still is) is mukluks. I've never used them on dry ground. I carried them in the pack until we got into the snow. I've seen the Canadian Forces version on sale surplus, and I think they have a tread and can be used off snow. That might give you an answer.

The sleeping bag was the old Black's Icelandic, built for the Canadian Arctic Survey. It consisted of inner and outer (differentially cut) down bags that could be used separately or together. It also had a separate down hood, a large, heavy canvas cover and a large bulky egg crate open cell foam pad. They were intended for dog sled transport. These were extremely bulky (I rarely used the whole outfit) and are no longer available, but one can still assemble something more practical using that idea.

There's still a whole lot of bulk involved. The real expert on these questions is Phat, one of our moderators. He is currently familiar with the conditions you are describing. I believe he deals with the weight/bulk issue by using a pulk (a kind of runnerless sled). With a little bit of luck, he may come on and give you the real answers.

best, jcp

#177211 - 05/20/13 08:58 PM Re: Temperature changes and gear question [Re: JPete]
Blackcat Offline

I guess I could do layers and pack for every condition. Im kind of wondering if theres a middle ground. I like mukluks as well lol thought I was the only one.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum