Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176760 - 04/25/13 04:01 PM Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I got the pack about two weeks ago, so far, I like it really well. I have had it out four times since it arrived (earlier than predicted) and I think it is one of the most comfortable packs I have ever used. To this date I have used the Kalais on two, full kit, ten mile training day-hikes, a 15 mile over-niter in the Santa Rita Mountains and a three-day, 27 mile loop in the Rincon Mountains. Weight carried has varied from 11 pounds on the training hikes, to 19 pounds on the Rincon loop. Most of the time on these hikes, I was hardly aware that I was carrying a pack: it is that comfortable.

I think what makes it so comfortable is the design of the suspension system. The aluminum U (or V) stay effectively transfers the weight to the hip belt where the hip belt then supports the pack weight on the top of your hip bones. The aluminum stay appears to me to be better integrated into the pack structure than in the other removable-stay packs with which I am familiar and so contributes to better weight control. The hip belt has a unique (to me) dual-strap arrangement which, if properly used, cups the hip belt over the top of your hip bones without the need for over-tightening. The pack also has load-lifter and hip-belt-stabilizer straps. With all of the straps properly adjusted, this takes some experimentation by the way; all of the weight is carried on the hips without causing the constricted leg circulation typical of an over-tightened hip belt.

The Kalais seems a bit small for its stated “displacement”. It has a somewhat narrower profile than, say, the Jam2 that I have been using as a small pack. The extension collar does provide quite a bit of extra room if needed; BTW, the extension collar volume is not included in the volume stated on the Elemental Horizons web site. For my normal, bear-canister-less, trips it holds my gear, water and food in the main compartment with some room to spare. Any extra room is then neatly handled by an excellent system of compression straps and the roll-top/top-strap setup. Also, it will hold all of my gear and my large BV-500 in the main compartment but I am still working on the best way to fit everything together in an elegant and sophisticated fashion. I'm sure that I’ll get there soon, hopefully before my JMT through-hike this August.

I’ll be using the Kalais on an upcoming four day loop trip in the Grand Canyon. I’ll be going down the Hermit Trail, along the Tonto Trail and then out on the Bright Angel Trail. I’ll probably be carrying about 21 pounds to start this trip. I’ll likely write up a trip report and mention the pack as seems appropriate after I return.

#176770 - 04/27/13 09:45 AM Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack [Re: Pika]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Sounds promising for you so far, Pika. It also sounds like you are going to give it a thorough testing this summer. Thanks for posting the review!

#176773 - 04/27/13 08:18 PM Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack [Re: skcreidc]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Pics man, we need pics!! Sounds like a cool pack, what does it weigh?

#176921 - 05/07/13 07:33 AM Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack [Re: Pika]
LookinUp Offline

Loc: NE TX
Thanks for posting, I'm always on the lookout for a supportive pack. I would love to find something lighter than my Deuter. The Deuter is a good pack, but at nearly 3 lbs, I just know there's something out there that will work that's lighter. I just ordered the new Exped Lightning 45 but I'm not totally crazy about it. This company sounds like something I should try out.

Edited by LookinUp (05/07/13 07:58 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum