Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175348 - 02/26/13 10:15 AM Sleeping pad
luckyg71 Offline

I am going on a four day trip in march and need a sleeping pad. I am looking at the Thermarest trail scout and the thermarest Neoair trekker. Anyone have any ideas aboutwhich one to get? Any help is appreciated.

#175349 - 02/26/13 11:24 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I used a closed-cell blue foam pad for 30 years or so. Then got my wife a Neoair so that she would be more comfortable. She loved it.

One day on the trail, I borrowed it for an afternoon nap.

Bought one for myself the day we returned from the trip.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#175358 - 02/26/13 05:33 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I suggest you do more research. There are several other excellent brands of sleeping pad besides Thermarest, the best known of which are Big Agnes and Exped. Also, to make a recommendation, we need to know the conditions under which you will use the pad: Where will you be backpacking? What temperatures do you expect? You don't say where you live although I notice your IP is in Kansas. And are you a side sleeper or a back sleeper? Do you toss and turn a lot?

The two pads you describe are quite different types. The Scout is a self-inflator while the NeoAir needs to be blown up. They differ considerably in weight and in comfort. The ProLite is a lighter model of self-inflator than the Scout. This being a lightweight backpacking site, weight is important to many of us, assuming equal comfort and warmth.

The "R" value (measure of warmth) can be important depending on how and where you will use the pad (you can find this on the manufacturers' websites under "Specifications"). For winter or for Rocky Mountain summers where it can get well below freezing every night, you want a pad with an "R" value of at least 5 or above. It has also been shown that with inflatable pads the value will be less if the pad is not fully inflated but left "squishy" (the way I like it).

I personally could never get comfortable on a NeoAir. The horizontal tubes let me roll off the pad every time I got anywhere near the edge. I also could never find the "sweet spot" between too much inflation and not enough. Many others are enthusiastic about this pad, though. Sleeping styles vary considerably among individuals.

The best form of research is trying out different models of sleeping pad on the floor of the store (most outdoor stores have a carpeted place for you to do this) to see which you like the best. Then spend two or three nights on the floor at home to be sure the pad works for you, while you can still return it.

#175377 - 02/27/13 09:41 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: OregonMouse]
luckyg71 Offline

I am going on a 4 day hike in ky/tn. Temps should be in the 30/40 at night. I live in memphis. I have a mountain hardwear lamina 20 sleeping bag. My buddy has 2 big agnes and likes them.

#175405 - 02/28/13 09:27 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
If you're a side sleeper, I'd definitely go with a Neoair. I personally would get one of the other variants (more R value) so it would be more useful in future trips that may be colder. My original (R 2.5) has been fine on it's own into the 30s. I have tested it as low as -2 with the addition of two blue foam pads (and more clothing as my bag is only 20F as well).

If you're a back sleeper, the Scout should be OK. It's heavier and takes significantly more volume.

You should really visit a store that has pads like this so you can see how they feel to you. I don't mind the horizontal baffles, but some like OregonMouse do.

#175411 - 02/28/13 10:36 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'd second what OM said. After using the NeoAir (several models), I've ended up with the Big Agnes Q Core (a pound and a half), which I really like after 2 or 3 cool-weather trips. I'll be trying the Q-Core SL (one pound) this weekend, in predicted 15-20 degree temperatures on cold, damp ground. The SL has a slightly lower R-value (4.5) than the Q-Core (5), per the BA website, but both are rated to 15 degrees. We'll see.

By comparison, the NeoAir X-therm or All-Season (my own favorite among NeoAirs) have R-values from 5 to 5.7, and weigh 14 to 18 ounces for the 66" length (the same length as the Q-Core or SL.)

For price, the Q-Core and NeoAir pads are pretty similar, in the $130 - $220 range, depending on length, width, and R-value; for similar pads, the Q-Cores tend to be slightly less expensive.

The Trail Scout's only apparent advantage is that it's cheap - under $80. It weighs about a pound, but only has an R-value of 3.7. I used one on car-camping trip (testing it for the local outfitter), and it really wasn't much more comfortable than a closed-cell pad; I woke up after about 2 hours with an aching hip, couldn't get comfortable again, and ended up going to the car to get my NeoAir All-Season so I could get some sleep. It would be OK for 3-season camping if you're young and tough, and maybe could be stretched to winter if you put a closed-cell pad on top of it. I would only consider the Scout if price was a major limiting factor, and even then I'd look around some more. (There are other brands out there that I just don't have experience with.)

#175412 - 02/28/13 10:37 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I would first borrow your buddies pads and sleep on them on the hard floor at your house at night. That will give you a basis for comparison.

#175424 - 02/28/13 12:38 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Glenn Roberts]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"... and maybe could be stretched to winter if you put it on top of a closed-cell pad."

Folks I know with experience at this all seem to agree with my personal experience that you want the ccf pad on top of the inflatable when net R-value is a factor, and not the other way round.

#175425 - 02/28/13 12:52 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: BrianLe]
Glenn Roberts Offline

D*&% typos and fat fingers - that's what I meant, and just got in a hurry. I'll correct the original post. Thanks.

#175430 - 02/28/13 03:41 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Glenn Roberts]
luckyg71 Offline

Ok thanks guys. I will borrow his and see how I like them.

#175438 - 03/01/13 02:43 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
Maeglin Offline

Loc: Washington
Be aware that the Big Agnes Q-Core SL is actually narrower than advertised: about 18.5" or 19" wide; I confirmed this in the store. I think 20" is the minimum for my fat butt smile However, it does appear very comfortable.

Has anyone had trouble with inflatables leaking? That sounds like a miserable night. I'm leaning towards NeoAir XLite wrapped top and bottom with 1/4" XPE foam for backup padding and sound dampening.

#175442 - 03/01/13 08:42 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Maeglin]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
Originally Posted By Maeglin
Has anyone had trouble with inflatables leaking?
There is always that concern with any inflatable. The earliest Neoairs seemed to have some QC issues, but those got fixed pretty fast. POE has had some issues, too. But other than those QC type things, it's mostly just taking care of where you lay it down (moreso in the desert, lava, granite) or not over-inflating it or leaving it in the sun mostly inflated.

I lay my backpad foam (3/16" folded over several times) under my Neoair as extra insurance. The first one I had bought used popped a couple baffles and was replaced for free.

#175447 - 03/01/13 09:44 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Maeglin]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I have used my BA q-core for just about a year with no leaks, but I still bring a 1/8" ccf pad just in case.

#175448 - 03/01/13 10:00 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: rockchucker22]
lori Offline

My Q Core got a ride in a box back to Big Agnes.

I loaned it to someone. It started to lose air gradually after that, slowly going flat over a few hours, whether anyone was on it or not. I suspect the valve since I spent some time in a half full bathtub wallowing with it and found no bubbles.

Customer service with Big Agnes is pretty good!

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#175461 - 03/01/13 03:43 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Maeglin]
Glenn Roberts Offline

I checked mine at lunch - you're right, it is narrower. I'll play around with it tonight (my weekend trip just got cancelled; my buddy couldn't make it); if it is narrower, I'll probably take it back to REI for a refund, since I haven't used it outdoors yet. Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't see giving up width and .5 in R-value just to save a few ounces. (Weight isn't everything - I'm also returning a Fly Creek UL1 tent because it's not as convenient as my Copper Spur. That's another half pound - guess I'll just have to tough it out carrying 19 pounds for a weekend instead of 18. smile )

No problems with leaks in the Q-Core, after about 5 nights.

#175462 - 03/01/13 03:46 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Coming back with damage made me quit loaning gear. (I've given some away, but I've quit loaning.)

#175463 - 03/01/13 03:54 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: Glenn Roberts]
lori Offline

I expect to put another 30+ nights on it this year, so I hope they can fix it!

Hoping to be able to leave the neoair in my SAR gear full time. It is a hassle unpacking it repeatedly.

From now on, only loaning foam pads!

#175563 - 03/05/13 03:13 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: lori]
lori Offline

I guess i don't get to know what happened to my q core... Replaced it under warranty with a new one.

#175573 - 03/05/13 05:09 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: lori]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Took my SL back last weekend; guess I'll just schlepp the extra weight of the regular QCore around.

#176792 - 04/30/13 12:03 AM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
goldenteardr Offline

Loc: az and nm
Hiking in Gila National Forest in fall in can get pretty cold so when hiking for a week we use a Klymit x Frame about $80. on top of Space blanket from REI for $15, works real well together weight is 12oz

#176833 - 05/01/13 09:09 PM Re: Sleeping pad [Re: luckyg71]
bpackengneer Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I do not have experience with the 2 bags you mentioned, but I can recommend the Big Agnes QSL and the NeoAir 4 season. The QSL is super comfy, but the NeoAir is warmer.

Edited by aimless (05/13/13 01:06 AM)
Edit Reason: removed link to a site selling merchandise

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum