Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176806 - 05/01/13 02:11 AM mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please!
fatboy99 Offline

http://www.rei.com/product/828971/mountain-hardwear-thruway-50-pack

or

http://www.rei.com/product/831620/granite-gear-crown-vc-60-pack

trying to go ultralight base weight around 12 with bear can. trip length 3-7 nights in summer. please look at the packs and give me your 2 cents please and if you have experience then that's even better!!

#176808 - 05/01/13 05:43 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: fatboy99]
Robotmoose Offline

They're both good brands.
That's all really anyone is qualified to say, picking out which pack is right for you is very subjective.
My advice, stop by your local outfitters with a couple gallon jugs of water, find one of each of these packs that's sized right for you, put the water in them one at a time, and walk around the store for a few minutes. Buy whichever pack proves most comfortable to you, whichever one works best with your methods, and distributes weight in a way that works best for you.

Whatever you do, do not buy a pack sight-unseen without trying it out, chances are it won't actually fit right.

#176809 - 05/01/13 06:13 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: Robotmoose]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Instead of a couple of gallons of water, take your gear, including food and water for a typical trip. That way, you not only get to try the pack with weight, you'll also be able to see how your gear will fit in it. Besides, sandbags (most stores use them) or gallon jugs may get the weight you'll carry, but they will ride in the bottom of the pack, giving you a very unrealistic idea of how the loaded pack will feel. Your own gear will tell you how the pack will actually ride.

One thing: if you spend a couple of hours loading gear into and out of packs, and find one you like: buy it at that store, don't go home and order it online just to save $5 or $10 in sales tax. Treat the local vendor (whether it's a small independent or a big-box like REI) the way you'd want to be treated.

#176810 - 05/01/13 08:18 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Robotmoose Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Instead of a couple of gallons of water, take your gear, including food and water for a typical trip.

Better idea!

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
One thing: if you spend a couple of hours loading gear into and out of packs, and find one you like: buy it at that store, don't go home and order it online just to save $5 or $10 in sales tax. Treat the local vendor (whether it's a small independent or a big-box like REI) the way you'd want to be treated.

X2! Doing right by your neighborhood shops buys you allies!

Also, is this a permanent move to a new pack, or are you just gearing up for one 3-7 night trip as your first paragraph indicates?
If the latter, rental is the most economic option. No sense in splurging 200 bucks for a one-trip rig.
If the former, make sure it's a product you're happy to live with (and out of).

Edited by Robotmoose (05/01/13 08:21 AM)

#176811 - 05/01/13 08:37 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: fatboy99]
Robotmoose Offline

#176812 - 05/01/13 08:42 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: Robotmoose]

Possibly - the other thread didn't really go anywhere. Maybe it was a repost with new information (like the base weight and length of trip) that wasn't in the original?

#176813 - 05/01/13 09:11 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: Robotmoose]

I took it as being a permanent switch. I've never used Mountain Hardwear packs, and my Granite Gear experience is with the old Vapor Trail and the Virga (the frameless pack.)

fatboy99: With a 12-pound base load, you might want to look at the Granite Gear Virga, too. It only weighs a pound, but has no frame or padded hipbelt. (The shoulder straps are nicely padded.) It's a fixed suspension, so it either fits or it doesn't. However, if it fits, and you use your sleeping pad (lightly inflated, if it's an inflatable) as a "frame," the pack carries 20 pound loads fairly well. Just be aware that at 25 pounds it becomes pretty uncomfortable.

I eventually left the Vapor Trail because a 60-liter pack was too large; my load no longer filled it. I left the Virga because, at the time, my load was right at 20 pounds for summer, so extra water or winter clothes made it uncomfortable to carry.

I've been toying with the idea of giving the Virga another whirl now that I'm closer to 18 pounds in summer and 21 in winter. It would save a couple of pounds, putting me safely below the 20-pound comfort limit. However, I like my Osprey Kestrel 48 so well that I never seem to pull the trigger on the Virga. (I'd recommend that you look at the Kestrel, but it's a pound heavier than the two you're looking at.)

#176814 - 05/01/13 09:25 AM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: fatboy99]
lori Offline

Use the one that works for you. That's the only real measure. It sucks but it's true - by the time someone has pared their load to "ultralight" that's how it is....

Neither one is really an "ultralight" pack - you'd end up with something frameless by then.

I have a ULA that weighs less than either of those, that works with a bear can, and works with me....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176822 - 05/01/13 03:38 PM Re: mtn hardwear vs granite gear! opinions please! [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There are lots of other packs out there, some of them lighter than what you're looking at. They may be more comfortable, too--you'll have to try them on. Many of these are framed packs weighing about two pounds (or slightly less). Try doing some searching on this site (see the sticky post at the beginning of the General Discussion section for how to search this site). Here are a few reputable firms to look at online that make lightweight packs with a frame (in many cases removable for lighter loads): ULA-Equipment, Elemental Horizons, Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, Hyperlite Mountain Gear.

As already mentioned, the most important aspects of a pack are fit, fit and fit! The pack must fit your body, it must fit your gear, and it must be comfortable for you to carry with your gear inside. Have all the rest of your gear ready, box it up, and take it to the store. If you order a pack online, have your gear ready to load up the pack and try it out (keeping it clean so it's returnable) as soon as it arrives.

Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so you need to do lots of trying on!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum