Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176714 - 04/24/13 02:13 AM merrell vs keen vs asolo
fatboy99 Offline

who has experience with any of these? I need a good mid boot for ultralight backpacking, money is a factor, but comfort and durability are far more important. any opinions?

#176715 - 04/24/13 02:59 AM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: fatboy99]
Robotmoose Offline

I've used Asolos for four years now, and can't be happier, but generally the UL crowd uses trail running shoes or really grippy but lightweight shoes, not boots at all.
I can't offer any specifics on what brands are commonly used,I don't cotton to the UL philosophies, but I'm sure there are a few people out there willing to share what they know.

Edited by Robotmoose (04/24/13 02:59 AM)

#176719 - 04/24/13 09:41 AM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: Robotmoose]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I really like Merrells!

#176721 - 04/24/13 11:43 AM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: fatboy99]
lori Offline

Comfort depends on how well the shoe fits your foot. This is entirely individual and nothing anyone will be able to determine for you.

I've had a pair of all three - still have some FSN 85s (Asolo) and have since moved on to Trekstas, which fit my feet like gloves. Durability is going to be about the same with all synthetic shoes - some will get you 700 miles if you're lucky, and terrain you hike in has something to do with it. I'm sure if I only hiked on nice dirt trails I'd get more out of them, but I hike in granite filled trails, off trail, and the shoes tend to get pretty chewed up.

The only shoes that are worth any amount of money are the ones that fit your feet, protect the soles of the feet (a decent last and midsole help a lot, aftermarket insoles get me the rest of the way), and are comfortable for miles of backpacking with the loads you carry.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176726 - 04/24/13 12:52 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
+2 for Lori's comments!

Everyone's feet are different, so the chances are excellent that any specific brand that any of us might recommend will not fit you. That's why I won't recommend a brand!

Many of us now hike in low-cut trail runners instead of boots. That includes me, who gave up my boots only after much kicking and screaming and trying, unsuccessfully, to find boots without Goretex liners. After my first hike in trail runners three years ago, I've never touched the boots. which are on their way to Goodwill. The trail runners are lighter, far more comfortable and actually support my deformed feet and weak ankles far better than did any boot I have ever tried.

I'd suggest going to a good running shoe store for a good fit. Make sure what you buy has enough traction on the soles, though.

Most thru-hikers (who hike farther in a day than most of us) figure 500-700 miles per pair of trail running shoes. They plan to go through 4-5 pair during a 2500 mile thru-hike.

One tip--once you've found the perfect shoes for you (do at least one long backpack in them to be sure), buy several pair (you can usually order them from one of the online shoe places). It's as sure as death and taxes that the manufacturer will change the model next year--not just the decorative trim but the last! I have one more pair of the pre-Columbia Sportswear-buyout Montrail Hardrocks and then I'll have to find a new "perfect shoe." Columbia completely ruined the Hardrocks after the takeover and finally discontinued them.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/24/13 12:53 PM)

#176727 - 04/24/13 12:56 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: fatboy99]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Like Lori said, hiking boot selection is a very individual thing. I would wear them around the house for a couple of hours first, that way it's easy to return them. If they pass that test, then its on to the day hikes to see how they work out. I won't know if they really work for me until I have done about 40 miles in them. I like Merrell's. But my feet are 14 eeee and the Merrells seem to have a good fit for me in the wide size. I do think certain brands tend to fit particular styles of feet better than others and you need to find those brands that are comfortable for you. You may have done this given the three brands you mention. My wife like's Keens and wears those; her feet are totally different than mine. Both the Merrell's and Keen's seem to be pretty durable on average. If your feet run wide, you may want to try Vasque too.

Personally, I don't like trail runners at all. No support and hard on my feet. I've completely given up on them; but that is just me. You need to make up your own mind. Good luck with it.

#176732 - 04/24/13 01:12 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: skcreidc]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Although more and more running shoe manufacturers have succumbed to the "barefoot" craze, there are still plenty of shoes around that provide anti-pronation support and motion control. You do have to find an aftermarket insole that works for you. I think the shoe manufacturers have realized that most people do buy after-market insoles, so they just use a piece of flat foam in their shoes.

Fortunately some of the road running shoes are providing more traction in their soles so they can be used on trails. New Balance is an example. I get a perfect fit (for me!) with their SL-2 last--wide and high toe box, narrower heel, thick through the arch. Unfortunately none of their trail runners use this last.

#176734 - 04/24/13 01:21 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: OregonMouse]
lori Offline

I avoid boots as much as I can. Trail runners have done away with turned ankles, bruised ankles, and bashed toes for me. I do more miles in more comfort with them. And I never bother with Goretex for three season shoes, and keep my feet drier and with fewer blisters. The only blisters I get are due to foot fungus, which gets really bad in winter when I wear insulated goretex boots. So I am spending the spring season fighting it off so I can get back to breathable, comfortable hiking shoes.

Support comes from the sole of the shoe or boot, which is supposed to protect you. I have tried trail runners that were far too flexible and had sore feet. A good shoe will let you (if you have hiked enough to develop your foot's tolerance to the pounding and friction - this is the other half of the equation) go for long distances without extreme soreness or blisters.

Some shoes that have worked for me, same exact model and brand, have been reported by others I've hiked with to have blown apart almost immediately. Any shoe made in huge volume by a big brand will have a bad pair once in a while. This is why there are warrantees. smile

I have leather boots I only wear in shoulder season cold conditions while bushwhacking, and full length winter boots that I can hike or snowshoe in, but rarely do. Neither is ideal. I love trail runners.

#176736 - 04/24/13 01:30 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: fatboy99]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Originally Posted By fatboy99
who has experience with any of these? I need a good mid boot for ultralight backpacking, money is a factor, but comfort and durability are far more important. any opinions?

Fit, above all else. I have a hard time finding Merrells that don't constrict my toes (especially downhill) although they make many good shoes. Keens are by contrast quite roomy and their ample toe armor is welcome on rocky trails and XC. They're relatively new to hiking boots/trail shoes, and seem heavier than the direct competition, but wear well and are certainly worth a look. Have also had good lock with Asolo boots, but less luck with their lighter weight shoes and sneakers.

My "ideal" trail footwear would be lightweight, mid-height (over ankle), well ventilated with tough Vibram (or equivalent) soles. They should be torsionally stiff (resist bending along the sole axis) and have a rugged toe cap. Because nearly all mid-height trail shoes are waterproof or wpb, I can't really find this shoe in the current market. As a result in summer I switch from mid to low tops, which means whacking my ankles and either wearing gaiters or getting shoes filled with trail debris.

I also frequently have delaminating top caps and torn lugs, as most trail "runners" prove a poor match for Sierra trails. Returned a pair that were falling apart after a fifty-miler last summer. OTOH nicely groomed forest trails don't take much of a toll on footwear, and you could probably wear bedroom slippers.

When trying them, make sure to test them on a downhill slope to check for toe contact. The toenails you save might be your own.

Good luck!

#176737 - 04/24/13 01:34 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: OregonMouse]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
It's funny you mention that OM. New Balance regular running shoes used to fit me great and provide the support I like even with up to 15 pounds on my back. But before trail runners were popular, they changed their manufacturing and they don't fit as well any more. They fit narrower than they used to, at least on me. Even with good insoles, I think in the effort to make the shoes light they have lost some other aspects of the shoe that I liked. Trail runners I've tried (because of the fit; fit first always), including Merrells and Keens, are in a pile in my garage currently unused. Actually, I'd forgotten about them until now. I don't know how this is related, but I developed my heal spur after about 6 months of testing out the trail runners. Maybe I am just getting older (56) although I do focus on running light. I currently run in Merrell Moab mids with my Heel that Pain inserts and all is well.

#176738 - 04/24/13 01:37 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: Rick_D]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Rick_D

I also frequently have delaminating top caps and torn lugs, as most trail "runners" prove a poor match for Sierra trails.

I have 7 years of Sierra hiking in trail runners that disagrees with this.

2-10 days per month, until the snow falls. I replace the shoes every Labor Day with the same kind of shoe, Treksta low top shoes. The mid height version of the same shoe puts too much pressure on my ankles.

#176739 - 04/24/13 01:45 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: skcreidc]
lori Offline

I have an old scar on my heel with a bony bit right underneath it that only acts up when I am wearing boots. Reviewing the leather boots was a serious challenge for me because a day of hiking resulted in a huge blister and soreness on that spot unless I pre-emptively padded it up and taped it up. Trail runners have NEVER bothered it.

Another example of how individual such things can be... there is no general rule of thumb.

Also, I have to wear men's sizes. When they measured me out as a women's 10 and I tried to use trail shoes that size, it was horrible. In a fit of frustration I tried on every shoe in the store until I found men's shoes in 10.5 did the trick, and haven't had a problem since. Women's shoes are too narrow and scrub the skin off the outside edges of my feet, right at the ball of the foot.

#176743 - 04/24/13 04:13 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: lori]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The issue begins with "what is a trail runner?" REI currently lists 33 mens trail runners. With casual review I'd guess a third of them wouldn't stand up to a week's use. OTOH, several of the Salomans look well-suited to the actual rigors of the trail, avec backpack.

"Men's hiking shoes" under the boot category yields 28 matches and while there's a bit of overlap with the previous, a higher percentage appear trail-ready.

To be fair, there are lots of actual off-pavement runners who don't have overnight loads and their needs are a good deal different than those of backpackers. But since my pack and I are north of 200 pounds, I place very different demands on my shoes.

BTW, Road Runner Sports lists 85 men's trail runners!
Part of the problem for the shopper stems from a proliferation of choices. A decade-plus ago, the default starting point was the NB 80#-series, much beloved by PCT thru hikers. Today not only is there no consensus choice, there's no majority or even plurality. I guess that's a good thing, but it makes shopping a challenge.

A final tip: if you find a shoe you REALLY like, by a spare pair or two, because it will be discontinued or "improved" to where it no longer fits your feet.

Cheers,

#176745 - 04/24/13 09:15 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: Rick_D]
lori Offline

My criteria are a sole that doesn't fold over on itself, and room in the toe box. The Montrail Wildwood TR (discontinued) was awesome, had a solid sole and the mesh was great - mega-breathable, didn't irritate the fungus issue, the shoe and wool sock dried within an hour of cruising through a creek. Its cousin the Montrail Mountain Masochist on the other hand just rolls up like there's nothing in there for support - and yep, it's well named.

Merrel Moab Ventilators worked on day hikes, but like the Masochists the sole was just flimsy. I liked the breathability but sold the shoes.

I can backpack with up to 30 lbs on my back with Trekstas with the stock insole. I wouldn't do that with just any shoe. I'll also never get another North Face shoe - just not a good fit to my foot, and never found a model of theirs that wasn't just an oblong without accommodation for my toes.

#176746 - 04/24/13 11:14 PM Re: merrell vs keen vs asolo [Re: lori]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
I know my ankles have gotten much stronger since I ditched boots. I now pretty much hike only in low top shoes/ runners. Merrill ventilators are awesome for me, but as Lori stated the soles are flimsy. I get about 3 months of use, even if the shoes look fine, my feet start hurting. That's when I know they are done, for hiking. I still use them for around the house chores. The exception is deer hunting for 2 weeks with heavy pack, rifle, bow, butcher tools, 10-15 miles a day, snow,ice, I then love love love my Kentric desert hikers.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum