Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176433 - 04/13/13 10:19 PM Rain Gear
BradW Offline

Loc: Yacolt. WA
Hi

I'm not thrilled about hiking in the rain, but I also know the weather around my area (Pacific NW) changes on a dime.

I have a decent Columbia jacket, but it is more of a snowboard powder jacket. It is big, bulky, and fairly heavy.

I have a Red Ledge Thunderlight pant, and have been wondering about thei jacket.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QC8R6 ... VON2G&vs=1

What do you all think of this jacket? What do you use, and what are your thoughts about it?

What do you do about size? Should it be big enough to go over pack, or just enough to allow warmth layers?

Thanks for your input

#176437 - 04/14/13 01:45 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Rain gear can range from cheap, almost disposable stuff like Frog Toggs, to very expensive Gore-Tex or similar jackets and pants. I just have an REI Element jacket and Marmot Precip pants, which work fine for me. Ski parkas are just too heavy. I have one and wore it maybe once skiing here in SoCal.

An alternative is a poncho that will cover you and your pack. Otherwise you can put your stuff in plastic trash bags or trash compactor bags (heavier and more durable). Waterproof stuff bags are nice, but pricey.

Breatheable fabrics may not be worth it in warmer weather because they won't work like they do in cold weather and you'll find yourself sweating in them regardless of what they are made of. Size-get something at least one size bigger than usual so the jacket fits over a fleece or similar insulation layer.

I've heard good things about Red Ledge, so I think you should try it out and see how you like it. If the jacket has pit zips, that is a plus. Side zips on the pants are also a plus.

I've hiked in the rain in 50F weather wearing my Capilene base layer,a pair of nylon swim shorts and a light rain jacket over a fleece jacket and been warm enough. I also cycled in the rain in the same outfit, minus the fleece. Looked goofy, but worked.

Edited by TomD (04/14/13 01:50 AM)

#176438 - 04/14/13 08:24 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have a Red Ledge Thunderlite WPB parka. It weighs just over 13 oz, has pit zips and ventilating chest pockets. I have had it for about eight years so I'm not sure it is the same version now being offered. It has worked well for me, especially considering the price. It is prone to sweat up in cold weather but the vents help some with this. My go-to rain jacket for most backpacking, though, is a cheap Dry Ducks parka. It breathes as well as any WPB I have tried, it weighs 6 oz in my size (med) and generally keeps me reasonably dry. The fit on Dry Ducks is loose which helps with ventilation. They are prone to tearing so must be treated consciously and carefully. Fortunately, they can be repaired with duct tape. The Dry Ducks pants are notorious for tearing in the crotch. I use home-made silnylon rain chaps in preference to the DD pants. I lived, hiked and climbed in Washington for nearly 30 years and used nearly the same setup while there. I mention my NW experience because living in Arizona does not normally give someone a lot of credibility regarding rain.

#176440 - 04/14/13 12:47 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I live in the PNW and have used both dri-ducks and poncho in rain here (and btw, one solution to the dri-ducks rain pants tearing in the crotch is to convert them to rain chaps --- lighter, easier to use).

To the good points already raised I would just add that it's taken me quite some time to really "get" both intellectually and viscerally how much of a different experience different people have with the same rainy conditions due to a combination of not just gear, but also experience, expectations and associated 'mental toughness', definitely personal metabolism, and overall hiking "style" (and possibly how that is adapted to dealing with rain).

It's ultimately a whole system, all of those things that make up how happy or at least safe and functional you are in differing rain (snow, sleet, hail) conditions. And not just the particular model of jacket or other rain shell that you bring along.

#176497 - 04/15/13 10:53 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
good previous points. This is truly a complete system question. I have an REI Kimtah rain jacket that goes almost everywhere with me as a rain/cold weather item. With a hat, that's my rain system for most my outings. I'm in Virginia where I would rather walk wet, in fact I very much enjoy walking wet, in spring/summer/early fall rains. I often don't bother with the rain jacket, and my quick dry shirt and shorts don't stay wet long.
I used ponchos for the longest time, and wondered why I bothered. They never kept me dry, my feet were always wet, and over the years I've come to desire that my feet stay dry and the rest of me will take care of itself. Gaiters and good waterproof treatment on my boots takes care of the legs, and today that's all I care about (emphasize: warm weather where I commonly go). I tried using rainpants, but agreeing with other poster, even the "breathables" sweat me if the ambient temperature is too high, which for me is about 55 degrees. Anything warmer than that, I soak myself in sweat.
I take a light pair of CHEAP rainpaints when I backpack in Virginia/West Virginia fall/winter when I expect sub 55 temps. They layer over fleece pants or my lightweight hiking pants. Upper is the ubiquitous REI jacket.
For me the key to my jacket decision was picking a rain jacket that was sturdy enough to serve in multiple capacities. It is an excellent top layer in a winter layering system, an excellent wind break in high winds, great for just chilling evenings in a desert environment. That's why I invested in a good jacket instead of a cheap thin rain top. A versatile jacket, waterproof boots w/ gaiters is my system, supplemented by pants only rarely.

#176508 - 04/16/13 10:44 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
lori Offline

Having had six rain jackets, three pairs of rain pants, and a number of ponchos of various weights and composition (emergency, heavy PU coated, Dri Ducks) - I usually take an umbrella unless it's an actual storm system on the radar, in which case I'll throw in a poncho and rain pants (I have PreCips and Kimtahs).

Rain jackets are largely indistinguishable from each other - anything that says 3 layer blah blah blah is likely just another Goretex clone, which is neither breathable as the label says nor always entirely waterproof - if there is dirt in the pores of the jacket you can plan to end up with a five pound jacket after a downpour, as happened to me while watching a thunderstorm one afternoon in Evolution Valley. Rivers going under my tent flowing down the granite, everything was bone dry. I ended up soaked to the skin standing there in my "waterproof" jacket.

Event, however, is a different animal. It's breathable, but not what I would take in all cases. REI Kimtahs are mega-expensive and sometimes, I end up in brush. So I also have the Precips and somewhere, a cheap pair of PU laminated REI brand pants, for low elevation cold and wet days.

Thunderlight, given the price, is likely PU coated nylon. It'll be sweaty hot if wearing them while moving in 50F or above temps. All rain jackets and rain pants are. Therefore I never put them on in rain unless it's cold as well, say below 55F, due to hypothermia concerns - I know that if I wear them while hiking I will be WET from sweat instead of rain, so all things being equal I'd rather not wear them.

I use an umbrella some trips for sun (A GoLite Chrome Dome, with carbon fiber pole) when it's going to be lots of treeless hiking, and prefer that for the afternoon showers in the Sierra over the rain gear. Dri Ducks is what I prefer for on trail hiking due to the phenomenal breathability and light weight. If I think I'm going to get rain dumped on me I'll take the real rain pants and jacket and an emergency poncho or trash bag - what actually happens will determine which item gets used.... The pants and jacket make walking around camp and staying dry easier, and the poncho is easier in some conditions for hiking (can be easily ventilated) and for midnight potty trips (works kind of like an umbrella to provide a dry area to "work" under).

Yeah, I've worked on the rain issue for a while now... like shelters or sleeping gear, I ended up with options for various occasions. smirk Haven't even touched the winter gear...

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176521 - 04/16/13 03:01 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: lori]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
These days I still carry a poncho, but largely for use as my shelter. I carry rain gear as well, mostly for two purposes. The first is obvious. If my poncho is set up as shelter and there's a really serious rain, it gives me a way to get water, hang the bear bag and go to the privy and still get into my sleeping bag reasonably dry. I remember using them to hike in only once (very heavy wind-driven rain). But the other, very important, use is having something to wear at the laundramat while every other stitch of clothes is in the washer. I love laundramats that have bathrooms (aka change rooms).

#176522 - 04/16/13 03:13 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: JPete]
lori Offline

Poncho also makes a good "wall" when using an open box privy in the wilderness. there are some of those out there!

The most multi functional thing you can have is a trash bag. Emergency bivy, rain gear, sit pad, ground sheet for tent or tarp, water carrier, wood gatherer, pack cover, water tight stuff sack, water collector, portable bath tub (line a pit with it) - i am sure i forgot a few.

#176581 - 04/18/13 07:09 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
Very good points above:
1. Everyone is different so you have to try different setups
2. Above 55F and you can sweat in your rain gear.

Those Dri Duck jacks are breathable as noted. I found something that’s even more breathable than dri duck and that’s the 02 jackets http://o2rainwear.com/2011/03/original-hooded-jacket/ . They both claim the same material but 02 does something different because I can wear them at 70F and not sweat; not true with dri-ducks.

So I’ve used the following methods:
1. Just get wet.
2. Use trash compactor bag in my back pack. This can take weeks of abuse.
3. Use the 02 jacket. Only 5oz and makes a good pillow.
4. Use wide brim hat (I love this for my glasses)
5. Use $2 poncho (last about 3 days of use if careful) (1.5oz)
6. Use 5oz umbrella (the wind killed this in Wind Rivers last year)
7. Use 8oz umbrella (OK, I’m using the GoLite since it’s tough)

For the last 2 years I’ve been torn between the O2 and cheap poncho. So I actually take the cheap poncho and also cover my backpack with it. And I also bring the Golite umbrella; I’ve stopped many a storms with it. And it’s a great wind shield and shade master. But it’s tricky when I have 2 hiking poles --- that’s another thread in itself.

One more note, in rain, that’s where my footwear shines--- they’re the first thing that dries.

Good luck,
-Barry
-The Rockies and IL bogs were made for Tevas

#176592 - 04/19/13 01:36 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BarryP]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
Oh yeah, to mention the backpack.....I use an official backpack rain cover. While I enjoy my walk in the rain, I'm not that interested in my pack contents getting a soaking. I keep the contents in waterproof sacks, but the pack will add weight if it gets wet, so I go ahead and use the pack cover manufactured for the pack. It works wonders.
I used to use a backpack poncho, the kind with the extra snap-up panel. It worked very well for me, I guess I've just moved on.

#176603 - 04/19/13 10:02 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: BradW]
Blue_Ridge_Ninja Offline

Loc: North Georgia
I use a military issue poncho (if you go this route get the real deal, not one of the cheap copies). A very well-made and versitle piece of kit. It has snaps and grommets all around, and can be configured into a variety of shelters. Combined with the issue poncho liner it can be made into a water-resistant sleeping bag which I find perfectly comfortable for 50+ degree temps.

As rain gear it covers me and my pack pretty well. It has an waist tie so you can unsnap the sides for better ventilation but still have it secured. I don't worry about my lower 1/3rd, my boots are waterproof and my pants are quick-drying.

#176604 - 04/19/13 10:22 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: djtrekker]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By djtrekker
Oh yeah, to mention the backpack.....I use an official backpack rain cover. While I enjoy my walk in the rain, I'm not that interested in my pack contents getting a soaking. I keep the contents in waterproof sacks, but the pack will add weight if it gets wet, so I go ahead and use the pack cover manufactured for the pack. It works wonders.
I used to use a backpack poncho, the kind with the extra snap-up panel. It worked very well for me, I guess I've just moved on.

pack covers don't always keep all the wet out. Pack liners will, if used properly (closed up at the top) - even if the pack goes in a river for a bit.

Hiking in drizzly mist gets the entire back panel and straps wet - the wet creeps under the pack cover.

#176611 - 04/19/13 12:45 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: lori]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree with Lori. The pack cover is no protection at all for the pack contents if, for example, you slip and fall during a stream ford. Nor does it protect the pack contents from a long soaking rain that runs down between your back and your pack.

Note that stuff sacks are not waterproof even if made of waterproof material--the closure lets water in. You need a dry bag closure. Be sure to test dry bags in the bathtub every year.

I do use a lightweight (cuben fiber, 1 oz.) pack cover because my pack is my pillow, so I want the front side (confusingly, that's the side away from your back--the front as you pack and unpack) dry so it won't wet my sleeping bag while I sleep. However, I use dry bags to keep my insulating garments dry inside the pack. It's kind of a tossup whether you use dry bags or a waterproof pack liner (make sure your closure is waterproof), but definitely use one or the other!

Edited by OregonMouse (04/19/13 12:47 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum