Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176559 - 04/17/13 05:11 PM Question on backpacks
Sparty4601 Offline

So this is a hello to all and a little introduction... along with a question. I'm new to the forum and wouldn't consider myself a backpacker but looking to get started this spring and summer. I do however consider myself an avid outdoors man and have considerable experience in the back country. I love the idea of ultralight/light backpacking. I have all of the gear (I'm a gear junkie), but am debating on getting a new backpack. I have a bomb proof hunting pack, Badlands 2200 that I use out west, but it comes in at a whopping 6 pounds 4ozs. It's a great pack, very comfortable, just wondering if it makes sense to get a new one? I was looking at the Golite Jam 50, and it would shave a little under 5lbs off my base weight. My other gear is fairly light, 2lb bag, 3.5lb tent (or I have a 2lb tarp/hammock setup). I guess I'm looking for a reason to get a new pack grin Any thoughts or suggestions let me know! I think even with my heavy pack I can keep my load down to 25lbs for extended weekend trips.

#176562 - 04/17/13 06:50 PM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: Sparty4601]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Note that the Golite Jam is a frameless pack. Many are not comfortable with moe than 20 lbs. in a frameless pack, although this depends on the individual. Very few like a 25-lb. weight in a frameless pack. What you may want instead is a lightweight framed pack. Here are some examples of framed packs that mostly weigh 2 lbs. or less:

ULA Circuit (about 2.5 lbs) or Ohm 2.0
Six Moon Designs Starlite or Traveler (with the "optional" stays)
Hyperlite Mountain Gear (several packs)
Elemental Horizons Kalais or Aquilo
Gossamer Gear Mariposa or Gorilla

My own recommendation is to look first at other areas for lightening up gear. Have you read the articles on the home page of this site, left-hand column? Chances are good you have plenty of possibilities in clothing (duplicate items) and all the miscellaneous stuff. I know I did!

You might want to look for a lighter tent. 3.5 lbs., especially for a solo tent, is pretty heavy these days. You might want to look at offerings by Tarptent (especially their Notch and new Moment DW, both double wall tents), Six Moon Designs, Lightheart Gear. All these have solo tents under 2 lbs. and some nearer 1 1/2 lbs. They have 2-person tents well under 3 lbs.

Once the rest of your stuff is as light as you want to get it, then assess if you really want a frameless pack. In the meantime, you may be able to lighten your bomber pack a couple of pounds by removing the lid and trimming straps (just be sure the straps are long enough to fasten over all your winter clothing, and hem them after trimming so the buckles won't come off--don't ask me how I know this! blush ).

Edited by OregonMouse (04/17/13 06:53 PM)

#176563 - 04/17/13 08:07 PM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I agree with OM - go through your pack and eliminate whatever you can first.

Her recommendations are primarily from "cottage" gear makers (though some of these are growing to the point that they are at risk of becoming "mainstream" gear makers.) The only way to get their products is, generally, online (they all have great return policies, recognizing that you may find it isn't really what you were looking for once you get a look at it.)

If you prefer to see and touch before buying (i.e., a store shopper), you'll be looking at those "mainstream" products. Those gearmakers offer equally good and light gear nowadays - they had to keep pace with the innovation of the "cottage" folks! Some choices available in the stores include the Osprey Talon 44 pack, the Big Agnes UL and Platinum tent lines (especially the Fly Creek series, which offer a two-pound, two person tent), Granite Gear packs, and a number of others.

But the biggest loss still comes from eliminating stuff, not buying more stuff. I used to carry 35 pounds (when my buddies carried 45), now I carry 18 or 20. The first 12 pounds I lost were by simplifying my technique and eliminating stuff I never used; I threw money at the last 3 or 4.

#176569 - 04/18/13 09:15 AM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Sparty4601 Offline

Excellent information and thank you for your input! I thought my other stuff was fairly light with the exception of my backpack, guess I have some work to do! I'm not looking to make any mods to the backpack I currently have, it was designed that way for a purpose, and I'll definitely use it for that same purpose again... That's the approach I'll take, focus on reducing items, item weight, and then assess at a later date. Again, thank you so much for the info, enjoy the outdoors!!

#176618 - 04/19/13 10:08 PM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: Sparty4601]
goldenteardr Offline

Loc: az and nm
How did you arrive at a size of backpack. I see that many multiday packs are as big as 75 liters but are light in weight. what features are you looking at?

#176622 - 04/19/13 10:38 PM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: goldenteardr]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By goldenteardr
How did you arrive at a size of backpack. I see that many multiday packs are as big as 75 liters but are light in weight. what features are you looking at?

Why do features have to do with it?

You use the pack that the gear fits in. My "multi day" pack is about 50 liters if I intend to haul a large bear canister. I carry a 40 liter most 3 - 5 day trips.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#176623 - 04/19/13 11:41 PM Re: Question on backpacks [Re: goldenteardr]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The size of the pack primarily depends on the volume of gear (including food and water) you plan to put into it. That's why nearly all of us, and the excellent articles on the home page of this site, left hand column recommend buying your pack last.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/19/13 11:43 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum