Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176081 - 03/29/13 11:28 AM light gear for a fast hike
kamp91 Offline

Hi to everyone i'm new here,i come from Italy an i need some tips on how to build an ultralight backpack (i hope this is the right section even if this topic could be right for others too),these are some informations about me:
1-i'm 22,5 feet 7 inches for 160 pounds
2-my trip wil be a little less than 600 miles and will take place this summer in the centre and north-west of Italy so the weather will be nice and just a little hot
3-i'm an ultrarunner and my aim is to complete my trip in the fastest time possible so i'm thinking about the ''big three'' along with a mobile phone,food (to eat without cooking) and maybe an head lamp
4-i want to spend as little as possible in gear,the more spartan the better
5-i will need to sleep on the ground for various nights
6-i will have support sometimes to sleep and eat but i can't count on it

Hope you can help me with any tips you want,congrats for this board and ciao from Italy

Edited by kamp91 (03/29/13 11:33 AM)

#176088 - 03/29/13 03:02 PM Re: light gear for a fast hike [Re: kamp91]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
We have an active MYOG (Make Your Own Gear) section in this forum, and there are also a lot of helpful articles on the home page of this site.. Articles here.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/29/13 03:38 PM)

#176093 - 03/29/13 05:23 PM Re: light gear for a fast hike [Re: OregonMouse]
kamp91 Offline

ok thank you

#176095 - 03/29/13 06:31 PM Re: light gear for a fast hike [Re: kamp91]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
those plastic grocery bags are nice - light and hold a lot.
Jim grin

#176102 - 03/30/13 01:42 PM Re: light gear for a fast hike [Re: kamp91]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Hi and welcome! It would be good to have a little more info. For instance, 600mi at 50 mi per day is 12 days...what do you estimate your daily mileage will be? With these high mileage type of events, the bulk of your weight being carried will be food UNLESS you are arranging for a bunch of resupply points (which can be easily(?) done where you are running I think). Your sleeping gear can be very light and compact if the nights are warm. Same with your sleeping quarters. So this all boils down to your plan of attack, because the size and style of your pack should be geared to the maximum load you will be carrying during your fast hike. So just to recap; The way I would do it is like this...

1) Estimate miles per day
2) How much food per day needed?
3) How many nights/days do you need to supply your own food?
4) How many resupply points can you get?
5) Calculate maximum weight/volume between resupply points.
6) Give yourself an escape route/food and water source if something unforseen happens at various points along the route.
7) From my point of view, lighter (more resupply stops) will be the best way to go on something like this.

Some other notes. Picking the right spot (a well chosen comfortable one) for a good nights sleep can be more critical than what gear you take, especially at the age of 22. You could use a cheap silk liner, a thin pad, and throw an emergency blanket over yourself for your sleeping system. This would be very light, inexpensive, and workable in warm to hot weather. Bug netting and a light tarp/gatewood cape or poncho would deal with bugs and rain respectively. You may want to drive the route before you do it to help with pre-planning and picking out potential sleeping spots (on the ground).

The trip sounds really fun! Hope this helps and isn't just stuff you already know.

Chris

#176112 - 03/31/13 12:39 PM Re: light gear for a fast hike [Re: skcreidc]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
It occurred to me that I never finished my methodology. When I complete steps 1 through 5 (including all my gear in the weights) and considering step 6, I go back and recalculate mileage and run through the whole thing again. Basically I use an iterative process until I am convinced of the resulting plan. Oh, and definitely take a head lamp along with spare batteries in at least one of your resupply drops.

For trips like this, taking a cue from you wanting to complete the route in the fastest time possible, you need to carry the least amount of weight at any one time. Of course you already know this, but what this means is more resupply stops will be generally better for you as a strategy (depending upon the local situation which you will know better than us). From my perspective, this trip is all about going as light as possible, and fueling your body. In my experience (I have never done 600 miles) the first 5 days will be easy as you burn through your reserves. Then it becomes much harder, so you need to get ahead of the game by eating on a regular basis as you are traveling. Really look at your diet and stay fueled up the entire way because you will need a balance of things that your body will process at a slow, moderate, and rapid rate.

So I'm curious, is this a Florence to Cortina run? What are your start and end points?

Edited by skcreidc (03/31/13 12:55 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum