Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176029 - 03/26/13 11:38 PM Priorities
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I had a big decision to make this week. I was invited to speak at a major national conference in my chosen profession--but it was a direct conflict with one of our big plans for the summer: a ten-day hike through the backcountry of Sequoia/Kings Canyon.

Oh dear. The conference would be a real feather in my cap.

We checked the calendar, and there really was no other time that we could possibly do the hike. And we'd already filed the paperwork for the permit---and it had been accepted.

So I looked long and hard at the calendar, and then at the permit. And then I called them back and explained that I would be delighted to speak at their conference.

Next year.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#176031 - 03/27/13 05:29 AM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
I feel for your dilemma. confused

Early in my career I might have gone with the conference. But as I am now later in my career, I might go with the hike.

#176032 - 03/27/13 06:26 AM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I'd definitely have made the same decision you did. It's tough when you're equally passionate about your vocation and avocation.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (03/27/13 10:10 AM)
Edit Reason: "definitely" not "probably"

#176035 - 03/27/13 08:29 AM Re: Priorities [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I'll second Glenn on this. I probably would have made the same decision you did. One of the nice things about being retired is that conflicts such as this are markedly reduced.

#176038 - 03/27/13 12:32 PM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
Heather-ak Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I totally understand - our backpacking has mostly been on hold because of us building a home...

So is the permit transferable?

grin

#176040 - 03/27/13 01:38 PM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Yeah. For me the important thing is to make hiking enough of a priority that I will make room for it, even when it is hard to make room for it. The details beyond that are much less important. SEKI will wait for you, as it always does.

#176049 - 03/28/13 09:56 AM Re: Priorities [Re: aimless]
SamanthaR Offline

Loc: Juneau, AK
Hmmm. I thought his point was that he would be delighted to speak at the conference... next year (not this year because of his prior commitment). Either way, it would be a tough choice.

#176050 - 03/28/13 10:58 AM Re: Priorities [Re: SamanthaR]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
That's what I gather too, speaking next year.
Duane

#176053 - 03/28/13 12:55 PM Re: Priorities [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
From the perspective of being fourteen years into retirement, I'm not sure what I'd have done had this situation come up while I was working. Early in my career, I'd probably have picked the speech. I did find from experience, though, that while such things as speeches to outside groups enhanced my exposure should I be looking for a job, they didn't make any difference to the employer for whom I was working at the time. After a couple experiences of that sort of reaction, I changed my priorities in a hurry!

#176071 - 03/28/13 11:12 PM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That's a tough one. One reason is I've always enjoyed public speaking, though I don't really enjoy being surrounded after giving a speech, that's too hectic for me.

But if I had a trip planned that I couldn't postpone, especially with friends, I'd think I'd take the trip. And when I add missing ten days in Sequoia/Kings Canyon into the equation, I don't think I'd give it up unless there was something else big there to draw me.

OM, I agree with your take too. It would make a difference if the task was being duffed off on me, but balzaccom's description sounds like it's more of a request made with respect for his position. And it's a gathering of his peers, so it's really an honor to speak in front of them, and it can be a lot of fun hanging out with a crowd that understands what you do for a living.

I have had the pleasure and good fortune to work with some brilliant people in my life. Working with someone is a chance to learn something, and I've always found that hard to resist. For me, that learning opportunity has always been a high priority. If there were something there that provided that opportunity to learn, that'd make it tougher.

But it's ten days in Sequoia/Kings Canyon.... Geez... I love that area.

It'd be perfect if you could do the event first and leave for the backpack trip right from there. I can't think of a better way to unwind afterwards. So I'm stumped. I'd have to be in your shoes to know what to do, but either way I don't see how you could choose wrong. They both sound like fun!

"You want to go where?"

#176085 - 03/29/13 01:23 PM Re: Priorities [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I've obtained at least once, a walkin permit over Kearsarge Pass a couple years ago, just get there before they open, but that is a non-issue as whomever is there, they make you draw straws/numbers out of a hat for order to be served when they open up finally.
Duane

#176089 - 03/29/13 03:05 PM Re: Priorities [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Of course Balzaccom has already made his decision, so whatever we say here is beside the point. Interesting to speculate, though!

#176101 - 03/30/13 06:56 AM Re: Priorities [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I have no idea what the situation may be for others but sometimes we have to make decisions about what is good for our career when we are in our working years so that we are able to enjoy life when we are older. I like the idea that at my age I can just enjoy life and do what I want to do without fear of not being able to live a comfortable life. I see too many of my peers who made bad decisions while they should have been planning for the senior years and they are now in their 70's and must work just to keep eating and having a minimum living standard. At my age I can now take off for a backpacking trip without fear of not meeting obligations. Fortunately my comfortable living standard requires less money than many of my peers. Cruses are not part of my life style. A couple of hundred dollars can give a two week backpacking trip while it would not pay for a day at a luxury resort.

#176120 - 03/31/13 05:39 PM Re: Priorities [Re: GrumpyGord]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
They have no invited me to speak at next year's conference. And the organizer promised that they would keep the rotten fruit on hand to be used next year!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#176495 - 04/15/13 10:07 PM Re: Priorities [Re: balzaccom]
djtrekker Offline

Loc: Virginia
I do like the topic. I have (or have had....really worked hard on it the last 20 years) a serious issue with obsessive compulsive behavior. Although my life has sketched out a few lifestyle priorities, backpacking and hiking being one of them, I tended to swing to the extreme for a period on one aspect (career -> burnout; backpacking->disregard of anything else the family wanted to do; fishing->not home enough with family or preoccupied with it in evenings neglecting family). So for me, there are no more priorities, just a manageable number of activities that describe my lifestyle priorities. Boundaries must be set for all activities, and each decision must be made in the interest of where I am now in career, family, health (a biggy! learned during burnout that my recreational passions are pivotal to my physical and mental health). My own perspective on the value of a conference may not track true with reality...
I have decided, however, that often business events are unrepeatable in terms of content or opportunity, whereas most of my outdoor experiences (and that's why I love nature) will be there when I get there. Patience - I'll get to it, so business needs do trump most of the time. Nonetheless, I can also create an event storm in my business areas that never lets up, then act like I am a victim of circumstance.
Pick my battles, pick my battlegrounds. Only so much life to live, so many hours in a day, so many opportunities to connect with loved ones. It's all a balance.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum